The Official NFL Thread, Part Duex... No TO or Brady Bashing Allowed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An undefeated season was a longshot at best, even after the Colts had gone 13-0, because teams always have a poor performance or letdown here and there during a 16 week season.
The Colts played a poor game yesterday, and against a good opponent were beaten. (They had a couple of other subpar games early, like against Cleveland, but the level of opposition wasn't strong enough to win the game).
They are still the team to beat, and will be even if they finish 13-3.
In some ways this could be the best thing for them, a wake-up call before the playofs, rather than one on Jan 15th.
Of course Drew Brees and Marty Schottenheimer did everything in their power to keep the unbeaten streak alive with poor play calling and questionable decsion making after building a big 3rd quarter lead, but thats the Chargers. If they get a wild card, they'll come into Foxboro or Cincy and dominate statistically, but Marty will have them punt on first and goal to try to preserve a lead and they'll lose.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Rex is back! :hyper:
Oh crap. I just jinxed him again. :(

i'd like to know why everyone's so crazy over rex chapman instead of randy orton... doesn't orton have more career wins than rex? what has grossman ever really done in the NFL? he's been nothing but a walking injury.

ironicly enough the bears are now replacing the more experienced QB with a less experienced one right in the middle of the stretch run, which, as a fan of a team that may eventually face the bears in the playoffs, is just fine and dandy with me.

it's not like rex went in and they scored 30 points... they still only put a 16 spot on the board, and they weren't exactly playing the steel curtain here.

what happens when the bears run into a team in the playoffs that can put a bunch of points on the board like the seahawks or the giants?

Last edited:
Hewson said:
An undefeated season was a longshot at best, even after the Colts had gone 13-0, because teams always have a poor performance or letdown here and there during a 16 week season.
The Colts played a poor game yesterday, and against a good opponent were beaten. (They had a couple of other subpar games early, like against Cleveland, but the level of opposition wasn't strong enough to win the game).
They are still the team to beat, and will be even if they finish 13-3.
In some ways this could be the best thing for them, a wake-up call before the playofs, rather than one on Jan 15th.
Of course Drew Brees and Marty Schottenheimer did everything in their power to keep the unbeaten streak alive with poor play calling and questionable decsion making after building a big 3rd quarter lead, but thats the Chargers. If they get a wild card, they'll come into Foxboro or Cincy and dominate statistically, but Marty will have them punt on first and goal to try to preserve a lead and they'll lose.

marty schottenheimer make bad calls down the stretch? that's umpossible!

the colts had a bad game and still had a chance to win late in the 4th quarter. like you said... they are still most deffinetly the team to beat in the AFC.

it's not like rex went in and they scored 30 points... they still only put a 16 spot on the board, and they weren't exactly playing the steel curtain here.

what happens when the bears run into a team in the playoffs that can put a bunch of points on the board like the seahawks or the giants?

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'd like to know why everyone's so crazy over rex chapman instead of randy orton... doesn't orton have more career wins than rex? what has grossman ever really done in the NFL? he's been nothing but a walking injury.

I'll tell you why.

In seven career games, Grossman has thrown for over 1,100 yards, mostly in games the Bears sucked at.

In 14 career games, Orton has thrown for over 1,800 yards, mostly in games the Bears exceled at.

Despite being injury-prone and not having played many games, Grossman clearly is the more talented player here. It's not like Chicago's offense is the reason they've won so many games, and it's quite obvious they'll be one and done in the playoffs the way they are going. With the division all but wrapped up, what do they have to lose? Grossman can play the next two games to work on things, and I guarantee you he'll give them more of a shot in the playoffs than Orton, although I don't see the Bears going very far either way.

phanan said:

I'll tell you why.

In seven career games, Grossman has thrown for over 1,100 yards, mostly in games the Bears sucked at.

In 14 career games, Orton has thrown for over 1,800 yards, mostly in games the Bears exceled at.

Despite being injury-prone and not having played many games, Grossman clearly is the more talented player here. It's not like Chicago's offense is the reason they've won so many games, and it's quite obvious they'll be one and done in the playoffs the way they are going. With the division all but wrapped up, what do they have to lose? Grossman can play the next two games to work on things, and I guarantee you he'll give them more of a shot in the playoffs than Orton, although I don't see the Bears going very far either way.

yes but if the bears were losing in these games, orton would be throwing more, and his yards would go up... and vice versa, if the bears were winning those games, grossman would have thrown less, and his stats would be less.

That might play a part in it, but just one part.

The thing is, Orton didn't exactly tear it up in his losses, either.

Like I said, though. I don't see the Bears getting that far anyway, but I think Grossman gives them a better chance.

marty schottenheimer make bad calls down the stretch? that's umpossible!

the colts had a bad game and still had a chance to win late in the 4th quarter. like you said... they are still most deffinetly the team to beat in the AFC.

This wins the 2005 Interference Schizophrenic Sports post of the year award.:wink:

in my opinion, which is pretty useless, there's only 7 teams out there with a chance to win the super bowl... not a very good chance 'cause i still think the colts will win it, but a chance none the less...

those teams are, in no particular order, the bears, the giants, the seahawks, the colts, the broncos, the bungles and the pats.

here are those teams listed in order of the winning percentage of the teams that they beat this season (if a team beat a team twice, their record was counted twice).

1. Denver Broncos - 0.477 (73-80)
2. New York Giants - 0.436 (61-79)
3. Indianapolis Colts - 0.425 (77-104)
4. New England Patriots - 0.405 (51-75)
5. Chicago Bears - 0.399 (55-83)
6. Cincinatti Bengals - 0.384 (58-93)
7. Seattle Seahawks - 0.357 (60-108)

Sexy Rexy

Grossman gives the Bears offense more options. He sees the field better and is an overall better passer.
This gives the running game more options as well.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw him take the field last night. I jumped up and down a few times too. But that was more for regaining feeling in my legs. :wink:

Re: Sexy Rexy

WildHoneyAlways said:
Grossman gives the Bears offense more options. He sees the field better and is an overall better passer.
This gives the running game more options as well.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw him take the field last night. I jumped up and down a few times too. But that was more for regaining feeling in my legs. :wink:

:tsk: well hey... go nuts.

frankly i'd prefer to keep the guy who got me there, but that's just me. it's not like jim mcmahon is comming off the sidelines here... grossman is a second year QB with very little game experience who's never played in a big NFL game and is comming off an injury.

i'd still keep orton.

1. Denver Broncos - 0.477 (73-80)
2. New York Giants - 0.436 (61-79)
3. Indianapolis Colts - 0.425 (77-104)
4. New England Patriots - 0.405 (51-75)
5. Chicago Bears - 0.399 (55-83)
6. Cincinatti Bengals - 0.384 (58-93)
7. Seattle Seahawks - 0.357 (60-108)

I think any team in the NFC has a shot, and if the right Panthers team shows up, they can beat anyone.

Re: Re: Sexy Rexy

:tsk: well hey... go nuts.

frankly i'd prefer to keep the guy who got me there, but that's just me. it's not like jim mcmahon is comming off the sidelines here... grossman is a second year QB with very little game experience who's never played in a big NFL game and is comming off an injury.

i'd still keep orton.

Ron Turner said after the game that Grossman would be starting in Green Bay.

And why are you :tsk: me? Kyle Orton was asked to "manage" the team and he did a fine job of it. But as a fan I'd like a little more out of my QB than just a "manager." I'd like to see what Grossman can do.

Re: Re: Re: Sexy Rexy

WildHoneyAlways said:

Ron Turner said after the game that Grossman would be starting in Green Bay.

And why are you :tsk: me? Kyle Orton was asked to "manage" the team and he did a fine job of it. But as a fan I'd like a little more out of my QB than just a "manager." I'd like to see what Grossman can do.

i dunno... only smiley that seemed to fit :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sexy Rexy

i dunno... only smiley that seemed to fit :shrug:

It's all good. We Bear fans have had so very little to be excited about. Rex looked good during training camp and pre season. I'm hopeful he cam implement a real passing game.

Da Bears aren't getting anywhere passing the ball. They will win any playoff games (especially at Soldier Field) by running and playing D.
That said they will need the ability to throw at times, and Grossman probably gives them a better option than Orton at this point. But I don't think they go far, probably win a first round game against Tampa or someone, then lose at Seattle or Carolina.
If they grab the #2 seed, they could get themselves to the NFC championship game, but I don't think they win in Seattle if thats how it plays out.

I'm just excited b/c Grossman is so much quicker delivering the ball. I liked Orton. But he said it best himself when he said he didn't want to or expect to be No.1. He wanted to make the team, be No. 2 and help if needed. We had no passing game in the last few weeks. He had 13 yards in the first half last night! So did Vick though haha.

The change in qbs won't be that big of a deal b/c the team won't change that much. They're defense will only get better when their starting safetys get back. Especially Brown. And that's how they win. Still, if Grossman can have a couple possesions where they move the ball with passing, their main focus on offense, the running game, will only benefit.

I guess Joe Namath will be staying home on Dec 26th, and Suzy Kolber will be relieved...the Jets have banned alcohol sales during the Dec 26 MNF tilt against the Pats.

Mike Tice's message to Vikings fans: Do as I say, not as I do.

Tice told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis, Minn., that he was upset with the number of Steelers fans that occupied seats at the Metrodome on Sunday, estimating their numbers at 15,000 to 20,000. The newspaper reported that if Tice's estimation was correct, at least 10,000 of the Vikings' season-ticket holders sold their tickets.

"It confuses me, I guess," Tice told the newspaper. "Maybe they're not really diehard season-ticket holders or maybe they needed the money for Christmas presents. I don't know. One of the two."

However, in June, Tice was fined $100,000 by the NFL for scalping his Super Bowl tickets.

Tice had acknowledged reselling some of his personal allotment of 12 Super Bowl tickets last season and had also resold his tickets as a Vikings assistant coach from 1996-2001.

Each NFL player has the right to purchase up to two Super Bowl tickets at face value, which this year was $500 and $600 depending on the seat. But they must sign a document saying they won't resell them at a profit. Individual teams determine the number of tickets available to coaches.

On Sunday, the Vikings lost 18-3 to the Steelers -- a damaging blow to the team's playoff hopes. Tice said the number of Steelers fans at Sunday's game affected the Vikings' home-field advantage.

"Look, when you go to some stadiums, it's so deafening that you can't hear. When you have 15 to 20 thousand of the opponent's fans in there, it's not deafening," Tice told the newspaper. "There is a difference. The fans that were there were great. But it wasn't like a big game when it's just your guys in there.

"Maybe, in their defense, they sold the tickets when ... we were 2-5. Maybe they said, 'The heck with it, I'm not going to that.' Maybe that's the case. Or maybe Pittsburgh fans are just a little more diehard than our fans are."

Hewson said:
I guess Joe Namath will be staying home on Dec 26th, and Suzy Kolber will be relieved...the Jets have banned alcohol sales during the Dec 26 MNF tilt against the Pats.

Either that or Joe will just have to drink that much more before the game starts.

It didn't occur to me how much better the AFC quarterbacks are until I saw the Pro Bowl roster. I guess that's why the AFC is so much better.

The NFC QB picks are pathetic. Hasselbeck was a lock, no question. And I understand why Vick was chosen (although I don't think he's very good as a quarterback), but I don't understand how Delhomme is selected ahead of Eli Manning. I know Manning has been inconsistent at times, but so has Delhomme. Their numbers are very similar, but factor in the fourth quarter magic that Eli has had at times, and there's your difference maker in my book.

Of course, if you put Drew Brees and Jake Plummer in the NFC this year, they'd go instead.

randhail said:

Either that or Joe will just have to drink that much more before the game starts.

Yeah, pretty much a classic case of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Dungy's son, 18, found dead in Tampa suburb

James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead at 1:30 a.m. ET Thursday in his apartment in Lutz, Fla., a suburb of Tampa, Debbie Carter, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, confirmed Thursday.

A death investigation is under way, and the spokesperson said that the county medical examiner's office or the hospital at which James Dungy was pronounced dead would have a ruling on the cause of death.

James Dungy officially was pronounced dead this morning at University Community Hospital in Tampa.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa. Indianapolis plays at Seattle this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom