Pearl Jam Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from a pearl jam forum member, a review of Faithfull Ale

he tried it at a dogfish event here in NYC last night. pissed that i missed it, but i am heading down there this weekend to see if they have any bottles left. will be a matter of time until the bottles start hitting shelves.

Faithfull_bottling_2.jpg

So as somebody who hasn't consumed alcohol since the 90's, I'll still have to buy some of this...put it on the shelf next to my signed Vince Neil tequilla bottle.
Maybe I can get each member of PJ to sign one bottle out of a 6 pack (even Kenny G). That would make for a cool collectible

As someone who hadn't heard anything by Pearl Jam prior to 2006 (and therefore not as influenced by nostalgia or a concrete sense of what Pearl Jam's music "should" be) I think Binaural is comfortable their best album. It has the best and richest production of any PJ album (Vitalogy may be #2), is very eclectic while lacking the filler that No Code had in parts, incredible lyrics, and really nuanced composition that makes repeated listening very fulfilling. It has anger, disillusionment, frustration, and sadness, but in a much more subtle way than earlier releases.

My favorite PJ albums, best to worst:

Binaural
Vs.
Vitalogy
Ten
Pearl Jam
Yield
No Code
Backspacer
Riot Act (to me the only really mediocre PB album)

That's cool man, I really like Binaural, but I don't personally think it's anywhere near the best PJ (PB?) album. I don't think it has as many memorable songs as, really, any other album of theirs.

Breakerfall
Grievance
Insignificance
Light Years

I think these above four are legitimately great PJ tunes, songs that get me excited about the album, and they're ones that I'd absolutely love to see played in concert at any time.

I do enjoy a few other tracks on there, but don't think that the songwriting stacks up with most of their other efforts. Including the three albums that succeed it. If you didn't know, Eddie had a confessed case of writer's block on this album (there are some great B-sides and "unreleased" recordings from these sessions, though).

God's Dice, Evacuation, Rival, Sleight of Hand, Parting Ways...they're not all bad songs, but none of them really get me going...probably the biggest clutch of middling songs on any PJ album. At least to me.

It's all a bit of a bleak affair.

Caught PJ20 on PBS Friday night. Awesome stuff, but they definitely left out a lot. Seeing a picture of Eddie's dad was crazy.

Binaural is a great album. Sleight of Hand and Parting Ways are two of the best songs on it. Gets better every time I hear it (first I thought it was a bit weak). However, it's a tragedy that a crappy song like Evacuation gets to be on it, and an amazing piece of work like Sad gets cut. Another one of those "Vedder's too scary to put a pop song on the record" cases, as stated in the PJ20 book.

GAF - yes, I know about Eddie's writer's block, but based on the quality of the lyrics, I couldn't have told. To me, his lyrical low points were on Backspacer, even though I understand the simpler, earthier approach.

All the songs you liked are the more obvious, anthemic rockers (or in the case of Light Years, anthemic ballad), though I like them all (Breakerfall is the only one that I don't listen to all that much - a little obvious). The other tracks take a while to reveal their pleasures, but end up being just as satisfying. Particularly Sleight of Hand - what a song. What a gorgeous sonic landscape that tune is. Parting Ways - the fusion of the guitar, cello, and EV's voice at the end break my heart.

And it's really a headphone album because of the use of binaural recording. There are SO MANY melodic fills and riffs, it's candy to my ears.

Even Nothing As It Seems, which bored the crap out of me in the beginning, has taken on a new life after seeing them play it live on PJ20.

djerdap - Evacuation is AWESOME. Love the shifting tempos and the double-tracked vocals. Great deep album cut.

Honestly, I have a hard time understanding why people look down on this album, especially compared to Yield and Riot Act, which are miles below in my opinion. Yield is still a great album, but Riot Act is really mediocre to me. Very little new or interesting going on - it's like they genuinely sound lost for direction. Thankfully they came out with a much sharper focus on Avocado.

I disagree that Riot Act had little new or interesting going on - some of the most unique PJ tracks are on that record (You Are, Help Help, Arc). It's a terrific record and I prefer it slighly to Binaural, but it is a bit long and uneven. The Avocado album was the point where they started to get more traditional, an approach that worked on that album, but the whole thing started to get a bit tiring with Backspacer.

Riot Act :drool:

For me, Riot Act just has better songwriting than Binaural. (I do agree with your headphones comment regarding Binaural though, tomtom. And it's not that I "look down" on the album. I still very much enjoy it. But this is my favorite band, and I like most everything they've done, so it's all relative.)

The first half of Riot Act is just very strong. A great run of about 7 or 8 kickass melodic rock tunes. There may be two or three songs on the back half of the record that could have been cut, but still some good shit. I've adored that album since the night I bought it in '02. I'd maybe take the first half of Riot Act over anything they've done since Yield.

It's fucking good. Only weak songs are No Way, Pilate and that hidden track Hummus. I like how short the individual songs are and how fresh it all feels. Reminds me of Vitalogy in its intensity, if not mood.

Of what I've heard:

1. Ten (don't care about the production, it's basically perfect)
2. Vitalogy
3. Yield
4. No Code
5. Vs. (need to re-listen, but nothing about this one jumps out at me besides the singles)
6. Avacado
7. Backspacer

No Way rules. Wishlist sucks.

Work on that my friend. ;)

5. Vs. (need to re-listen, but nothing about this one jumps out at me besides the singles)

I'd say so. Rearviewmirror, Small Town, and Indifference are classics and weren't singles.

Glad you liked Yield, though. Beautiful album. And if Wishlist sucks, then I'm the Queen the France.

Rearviewmirror isn't a single? It's the name of the best of. That's surprising. Anyway, I just really love Daughter and Dissident.

Wishlist does indeed kick ass, I'm not going to be changing my mind about that one any time soon.

Glorified G is awesome. Work on that.

Haha. I tried, believe me... But it really is awful.

And wasn't Dissident a single? That's another one that I would be very happy never to listen to again.

I was never that fond of Vs. as a whole. It has the best closer of them all, one of the best openers, but overall I always found it to be a very mixed bag. The albums that come before and after it are some of the best I've heard ever.

Dissident was indeed a single. And is a good tune. It's never been a favorite, but I love that lead guitar and the chorus is pretty memorable.

But, yeah, Vs. is definitely not their best work for me, either. Got a bunch of kickass tunes on it, though.

Haha. I tried, believe me... But it really is awful.

And wasn't Dissident a single? That's another one that I would be very happy never to listen to again.

I was never that fond of Vs. as a whole. It has the best closer of them all, one of the best openers, but overall I always found it to be a very mixed bag. The albums that come before and after it are some of the best I've heard ever.

Agreed with everything you said...Vs. is kinda spotty, but the best songs are absolutely incredible - Go, Animal, Daughter, Indifference.

That decision boggled my mind. Would have been the best song on the album, and not really a pop song, at least not as much as The Fixer etc.

It's a pop song by their standards I guess. It would probably be the catchiest thing on the record if it was there.

woah...

Pearl Jam
La Plata Stadium
Buenos Aires, AR
Nov. 13, 2011

Set List
{general note. crowd is very enthusiastic. They sing along with the band and often wordlessly sing the vocal melody or guitar parts. They chant “Pearl Jam” or “Eddie” at every opportunity}
01. Release
02. Go
03. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
04. Corduroy
05. Hail Hail
06. Given To Fly (briefly forgets lyrics)
{Ed addresses the crowd in Spanish. He asks the crowd to step back to give people more room and mentions that the show is being broadcast on the radio}
07. The Fixer {Mike switches guitars at the 2nd ch}
{crowd sings a [pearl jam?] song in Spanish while the band gets ready to play the next song}
08. Amongst The Waves
09. Immortality
10. Evenflow
11. You Are
12. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
13. Lukin
14. Unthought Known
15. Do The Evolution
16. Wasted Reprise
17. Life Wasted
18. Jeremy
19. Porch

Encore Break 1
{Crowd sings a “Blitzkrieg Bop”. A Ramones shirt gets thrown onstage. Ed shows it to the crowd}
20. Just Breathe
21. Garden
22. Last Kiss-(Cochran)
23. Supersonic
{Ed addresses the crowd in Spanish. He says something about the Ramones}
24. I Believe In Miracles-(Ramone, Ray)
25. State Of Love And Trust
26. Blood/Atomic Dog-(Clinton, Shider, Spradley)

Encore Break 2
27. Smile
28. Mother-(Waters) {Crowd shouts “no” after the line “Should I trust the government” like the crowd in Rio de Janeiro did}
29. Black {Crowd sings outré and then goes into a long “Olé, Olé song. they jump and chant another song. Ed thanks X and then says since Argentinians are the biggest Ramones fans in the world he introduces his friend and guitar tech Ricky Ramone who also worked for Johnny Ramone}
30. Betterman/I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend-(Ramones)/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
31. Why Go
32. Alive
33. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)
34. Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing-(Hendrix)

Holy fuck, they still cover Little Wing? There are some incredible versions of that from the 90s.

Back
Top Bottom