Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck...I'll vote down again because I think it deseves at least 2. :down: :down:

Chizip said:
i cant believe there are this many yeses

:huh:

I would be interested in cross referencing the "yes" votes with actual concert attendees. How many have been through this experience and understand how heartbreaking and disappointing it is REGARDLESS of when you got there or how you mentally prepared yourself when you don't get in. And the odds are at least 10 to 1 you won't. Some have gotten lucky but MOST haven't. In my circle of friends we are keeping a running tab, currently we are 4 ins, 78 nots. This is over the course of the tour, and have had friends at every single show.

No one thought this is what we were buying.

Last edited:
I voted yes and also got lucky and got in at SJ1. I arrived later than most thinking that I would find a nice spot in the back to catch the visuals and see my favorite band. When I got beeped in, my excitement factor increased ten fold.

Thus, I had a good experience with the lottery.

For me, personally, I like the idea. But that's only because I have no patience to stand in line. Heck, the grocery store line gets me antsy.

But overall, I'd have to say THUMBS DOWN. If fans are dedicated enough and willing to stand in line all day, they deserve to be in the ellipse!!

I'm not sure. While it isn't fair to the people who will be waiting outside all day(like me), it does benefit the people who don't have time to.

After having two more experiences with the lottery this week in Denver I have a few things to add:

For the first time, my ticket was selected and I was allowed into the ellipse. Between my wife and I, we have now had 1 selection in 8 tries. We were lucky that one of our friends was also selected (on her first try) and that 2 of the 4 other friends we were with were able to go with us. On the second night, 6 of us went through none were selected.

I now feel rather impartial about the overal lottery, but more importantly the issues it raises.

1. Seeing the show with others. The lottery makes this a nightly issue of "if one of us gets it, who goes and who doesn't." It is not a good conversation and situation to have.

2. I no longer wait in line. This is a good thing. I IMMENSELY enjoyed the 2 Denver shows (1 in the ellipse, 2 about 3/4 of the way back) probably more than I did ANY of the Elevation shows I went to and waited. It was with a great sense of freedom and enjoyment that I went to a nice preshow dinner, had some drinks, met Bono. These things didn't happen in San Diego for me, and didn't happen on the Elevation tour.

3. The ellipse crowd is lame. I have been in it twice (once selected, once through a massive scramble that left me very angry and my wife hurt) and both times it has been a very lame crowd. There are certainly die hards and crazies in there, but a MAJORITY are the so called "casuals". This judgement is made solely on there behavior in the ellipse, as I am aware the GA's are very hard to get but I get the feeling that the ellipse should be called the scalper and ebay shelter. Here is a quote from a woman in the ellipse with 4 other friends:

"Yes!!! This is that song called Just Follow" - said as the opening chords of Miracle Drug were being played.

This being said, U2 doesn't seem to mind. The second night in every city seems to be better in the ebay shelter.

In conclusion, I am now determining that the ellipse is not necessarily allowing me to be where I want, but all things considered, I am having a better time. It is nice to enjoy it as a concert, and not a life changing experience that I am trying to force by waiting for days and getting all stressed. It is a mixed bag, if you go to 4 shows like my friends and haven't gotten in, you are hating it. I don't like being so far back, but the freedom is bliss.

A side note: I saw 8 scalpers outside the Pepsi Center all with Fan Club tickets for both nights. Except for their GA's which almost none had, most were selling at face or below - I was offered a great lower beside the stage for $80 bucks. Half of face.
(I was trying to find an extra GA for a friend, ended up getting one from the box office.)

very interesting post, cmb737... i was very anti-lottery when the tour first started, but i now see that it has many benefits. that being said, i am sad that the "bomb shelter" is lame. :( i loved how the heart was almost always rocking... it's amazing when the entire crowd around you knows all the words, and dances and jumps like mad... oh well. i'm still keeping my fingers crossed that i get beeped for one of the 3 remaining shows i'm doing! :wink:

Ally, it does have benefits and keep in mind "lame" is my own personal perception. Other's might find it relaxing, or zen like. Most in the ebay shelter seem more concerned with holding their piece of real estate than anything else. I was able to walk up to several unoccupied portions of rail during the show to take pictures.

U2 can do whatever they want at their shows, but it surprises me that they dig the way it is now.

cmb737 said:
Ally, it does have benefits and keep in mind "lame" is my own personal perception. Other's might find it relaxing, or zen like. Most in the ebay shelter seem more concerned with holding their piece of real estate than anything else. I was able to walk up to several unoccupied portions of rail during the show to take pictures.

U2 can do whatever they want at their shows, but it surprises me that they dig the way it is now.

um, i kinda go a bit NUTS during shows... nothing zen about my concert-going experience! so i'm sure i'd agree w/ your point of view. :wink:

i, too, am surprised that U2 likes the BS to be all mellow... it seems that they really got off on the intense energy inside the heart last tour. :huh:

They do understand, however, that most of their diehards are outside and do play to them (they did both nights in Denver) as Bono almost lived on the ellipse walkway.

cmb737 said:
They do understand, however, that most of their diehards are outside and do play to them (they did both nights in Denver) as Bono almost lived on the ellipse walkway.

yes, i've heard that they are now spending more time out on the ellipse, which makes me very happy. :up: the only show i've seen so far is SD1, and they spent very little time out there.... good for them to play a bit to the diehards! :wink:

i honestly think a major motivating factor for the new lottery was to prevent the crazy lineups. so far, the most i've heard is of people lining up the night before a show. by the end of the last tour, it was up to 2 nights prior... who knows what it would have gotten to on Vertigo. :huh:

there's always the argument about familiar faces, wanting to mix it up, etc.... eh, who knows. perhaps someone will one day come clean to all of us and honestly explain it... :wink: :lmao:

It seems like there could be a fair and healthy medium.

Say, the first 150 or 200 get in the ellipse, after that, it's entirely random? It rewards the most dedicated, but gives others without the time or inclination to camp out a fair shot.

Yeah, or a true lottery...

I don't see it changing, so I am going to take advantage of the relative freedom they are giving me before the show and take my chances.

Or course, I am not seeing another show until the 3rd leg...so who knows.

Just got back from Vancouver. I still hate the lottery system. This idiot showed when the doors opened tried to sneak in the line, got shouted out, got lippy and ended up in the ellipse.
Hundreds of people lined up all day to get a spot close to the rail, not to get in the ellipse. Yet anyone can just show up, buy a ticket off a scalper and get in at 730pm Great system, blech! Even if I got inside, I still think it sucks.

:down: only because I didn't get in :sad:

but even if I did, I'm already nervous enough before the show and can't eat all day (why is this!?!) so this just adds another dimension and makes my heart skip too many beats. :crazy:

I thought the GA for Elevation worked just fine. It's aggravating to wait in line from 5am for a rail spot and then see people who showed up at 1 , or worse, 6, end up with perfectly good rail spot inside. Why add to the aggravation?

Last edited:
that is the worst part

after waiting allllll day to only end up outside the ellipse, and then watching people stroll in late, even after kings of leon has left the stage

very frustrating indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom