The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it's a fact. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL SONG. Even before we get into alternate versions and acoustic tracks, Songs of Innocence has 13 new original songs. This is not the final song. Everyone wondering why it fades out so quickly and doesn't do a big final track send off, there's a good reason for it:

This is only track 11 of 13.

See

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hey, maybe I'm wrong.

You are.

Firstly, the band wouldn't have released a collection of songs for the first time in five and a half years incomplete. This is the album, beginning middle and end.

Secondly, the bonus tracks are just that - bonus. 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' isn't the album closer on ATYCLB, 'Grace' is. The inclusion of a value add is ancillary to the album.

Thirdly, you may be correct on the album cover being different for a physical release and in time SOI may be packaged as a double album with Songs of Experience. However this doesn't change the fact that 'The Troubles' is the final song on this album.

You are.

Firstly, the band wouldn't have released a collection of songs for the first time in five and a half years incomplete. This is the album, beginning middle and end.

Secondly, the bonus tracks are just that - bonus. 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' isn't the album closer on ATYCLB, 'Grace' is. The inclusion of a value add is ancillary to the album.

Thirdly, you may be correct on the album cover being different for a physical release and in time SOI may be packaged as a double album with Songs of Experience. However this doesn't change the fact that 'The Troubles' is the final song on this album.

Stop talking sense.

Two posts ago you actually said it was a fact. I don't see how there is any ambiguity there...

It is a fact that this is not the final song on the album. There are two more new songs coming. Is it POSSIBLE that they're on a second disc? Yes, I'll give you that it's possible, but I'd say doubtful.

Just as doubtful as the cover we've got being the final cover for the album.

This is the free version of the album. wait and see. I'll bet I'm right.

It is a fact that this is not the final song on the album. There are two more new songs coming. Is it POSSIBLE that they're on a second disc? Yes, I'll give you that it's possible, but I'd say doubtful.

Just as doubtful as the cover we've got being the final cover for the album.

This is the free version of the album. wait and see. I'll bet I'm right.

No it is not a fact. Stop being obtuse.

You are.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet isn't on most CDs of ATYCLB. It's a bonus track they stuck on at the end in select markets. It sure wasn't on the copy I bought at the time.

It was an old song already. They might as well have stuck Sunday Bloody Sunday on there.

We're talking about brand new songs which will, presumably, be on every actual CD or LP copy you can buy of the album. That's entirely different.

Thinking that Songs of Experience will be released in October is crazy talk. There's no advantage to U2 in releasing another album until half-way through the tour. They need the focus on these songs now, these singles and videos, and they need to play them live. In my opinion it makes way more sense to release a follow-up half-way through the tour to perk things up again and get attention when they need it to return.

If when we buy the physical album next month, you see tracks 12 and 13, you'll see that I am right. I could be wrong, but I'll be surprised.

No it is not a fact. Stop being obtuse.

I'm not. Frankly, it had never occurred to me that they would put the final 2 new songs on disc 2 until you mentioned it. I really don't think it's likely. Put both versions of Crystal Ballroom on disc 2?

It just doesn't seem likely to me.

We'll find out soon enough.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet isn't on most CDs of ATYCLB. It's a bonus track they stuck on at the end in select markets. It sure wasn't on the copy I bought at the time.

It was an old song already. They might as well have stuck Sunday Bloody Sunday on there.

We're talking about brand new songs which will, presumably, be on every actual CD or LP copy you can buy of the album. That's entirely different.

Thinking that Songs of Experience will be released in October is crazy talk. There's no advantage to U2 in releasing another album until half-way through the tour. They need the focus on these songs now, these singles and videos, and they need to play them live. In my opinion it makes way more sense to release a follow-up half-way through the tour to perk things up again and get attention when they need it to return.

If when we buy the physical album next month, you see tracks 12 and 13, you'll see that I am right. I could be wrong, but I'll be surprised.

We already know you are wrong though. iTunes version for sale in October will have no bonus tracks because the bonuses are incentives so that certain retailers will stock the album. Is NLOTH 2 part of that album? It was in all the early release copies. As was Fast Cars on Bomb.

I'm not. Frankly, it had never occurred to me that they would put the final 2 new songs on disc 2 until you mentioned it. I really don't think it's likely. Put both versions of Crystal Ballroom on disc 2?

It just doesn't seem likely to me.

We'll find out soon enough.

Just because it didn't occur to you proves nothing. One is a remix. It's happened before. Even if they are on the same disc it proves nothing. It is just insanity to suggest that U2 just released a partial album after being away so long.

We already know you are wrong though. iTunes version for sale in October will have no bonus tracks because the bonuses are incentives so that certain retailers will stock the album. Is NLOTH 2 part of that album? It was in all the early release copies. As was Fast Cars on Bomb.

iTunes doesn't sell CDs or LPs. If ALL CDs have the two extra tracks on them, will they not be a part of the album? And iTunes will have the additional songs 5 weeks later.

This is a free edition of the album with it's own cover and fewer tracks. The full version comes out in October. It's virgin territory. U2 has never given away a project like this before. It's not the same as adding a bonus track in Japan or England or something additional here and there.

We don't have long to wait. I may be wrong. I may be right. But you're certainly wrong for suggesting we know know what the CD will be like because of the free iTunes download.

iTunes doesn't sell CDs or LPs. If ALL CDs have the two extra tracks on them, will they not be a part of the album? And iTunes will have the additional songs 5 weeks later.

This is a free edition of the album with it's own cover and fewer tracks. The full version comes out in October. It's virgin territory. U2 has never given away a project like this before. It's not the same as adding a bonus track in Japan or England or something additional here and there.

We don't have long to wait. I may be wrong. I may be right. But you're certainly wrong for suggesting we know know what the CD will be like because of the free iTunes download.

You have stated speculative nonsense as fact. You are the one who is wrong.

Why? Why would it be insane for them to release 11 tracks for free early with a specific retailer and then a longer album with everyone else 5 weeks later?

I'm disengaging from this argument because I feel brain cells are seeping out of my ears. See the post above from my learned friend to counter this point.

You have stated speculative nonsense as fact. You are the one who is wrong.

Now you're just getting argumentative. I've stated again and again that I could be wrong. You're the one who is going around calling entirely likely and sensible scenarios insane.

You're not engaged in having a real conversation, but seem merely offended by the tone of my first post and looking for a fight.

That's none of my business. Go argue with yourself.

But I maintain, whatever rude ad hominem attack you want to respond with, that this is only most of the album. 2 more new songs are coming, as well as a brand new final album cover, and it is in my opinion far more likely than not that they will be on disc one.

Why on earth would Apple pay one hundred million dollars for *part* of an album!?

That's a good question. I don't see why they gave u2 100 million for anything, personally! It doesn't seem like it could be a good business deal for them. But we know for a fact that there are more songs from Songs of Innocence which iTunes will not have for sale until December.

Perhaps addressing my point of why Apple would agree to finance the purchase of 500 million partial albums would help others to understand your rationale.

Edit: I posted this before seeing your reply. Nevertheless, it seems you don't understand why they would engage in this "bad business". Perhaps the reason why they did engage is because they paid for the final, full, complete piece of work?

Why on earth would Apple pay one hundred million dollars for *part* of an album!?

Actually, it occurs to me. We've never been told that they gave U2 100 million dollars, have we? We know that there is a 100 million marketing campaign pushing their machines and U2's music, and we know u2 has been paid, but I don't think we know how much they've been paid, do we? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

For the record, it is FACT that Bono will appear at the cd launch in a pink tutu reciting William Blake. But it's just my opinion. Even though it is fact. And they have never done this before. But it is a new world. Therefore every theory that I choose to pull out of my arse based on nothing is FACT. Hey, I could be wrong. But it's a fact.

Perhaps addressing my point of why Apple would agree to finance the purchase of 500 million partial albums would help others to understand your rationale.

I really don't understand what you're saying at all. We KNOW that the retail versions of Soi will have more songs. And we know that after the second week of December iTunes will be selling those tracks as well. There's no question about this. This is how it is.

The only debatable point, as I see it, is whether the other 2 new songs will be on the same disc as tracks 1-11.

Again, if every CD of the album has the songs, will they not be album tracks?

For the record, it is FACT that Bono will appear at the cd launch in a pink tutu reciting William Blake. But it's just my opinion. Even though it is fact. And they have never done this before. But it is a new world. Therefore every theory that I choose to pull out of my arse based on nothing is FACT. Hey, I could be wrong. But it's a fact.

Hey, why don't you go ahead and tell me you're too tired to answer any hard questions and then respond with argumentative nonsense?

I really don't understand what you're saying at all. We KNOW that the retail versions of Soi will have more songs. And we know that after the second week of December iTunes will be selling those tracks as well. There's no question about this. This is how it is.

The only debatable point, as I see it, is whether the other 2 new songs will be on the same disc as tracks 1-11.

Again, if every CD of the album has the songs, will they not be album tracks?

They won't be album tracks. Just like NLOTH2 and Fast Cars weren't.

Back
Top Bottom