The Eno and Lanois Appreciation Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crap. U2 are a band. Eno/Lanois are the producers. It's good the way it is.

Yes, it's good the way it is, but it seems on this record, Eno and Lanois was as much a part of the songwriting as the band itself.

Eno is all over this record man.

eno and lanois did a great job because they let U2 reboot. which is great because after ATYCLB and HTDAAB it was really important.

Lets go...got too give it to these two, i think they pushed U2 to something special here...in so many ways!!

Eno and Lanois Need to Play on This Tour

Really. This needs to happen. The DNA of Eno/Lanois is in these songs, and U2 needs to give up the notion that they are a 4-piece. They've been a 6 member studio group for a long time, and have been faking it with backing tracks for decades.

Having recently seen the new 9-piece Smashing Pumpkins on their 20th Anniversary Tour, I'm convinced U2 + Eno/Lanois on stage together would sound unbelievable.

But they have other things to do. That would be asking them to commit two years of their lives to it - to be away from their families on a consistent basis for two years. To be away from home for two years. It's a lot to ask.

But they have other things to do. That would be asking them to commit two years of their lives to it - to be away from their families on a consistent basis for two years. To be away from home for two years. It's a lot to ask.

Not if you a$k nicely. :wink:

Brian Eno makes his own material and produces for others and so does Lanios. They wouldnt be able to do the gig perminatly...but they definatly add to the studio recordings and U2 should always have them as primary producers.

Understood, that's a given. But imagine the greatness that would bestow our ears and eyes if this happened. Eno may be too old to rock out and Lanois may have another Scott Weiland record scheduled, but if this happened I would die a happy man.

Brian Eno makes his own material and produces for others and so does Lanios. They wouldnt be able to do the gig perminatly...but they definatly add to the studio recordings and U2 should always have them as primary producers.

I was already sold, but this just throws a barrel of gas on the fire for me. Eno and Lanois are essential producers and musicians for U2, and Lillywhite's strength is mixing, not producing.

ATYCLB is, for me, a weak point in the armor of this particular equation, but I think the band and the producers may have had different goals for that one. I don't know.

I think ENO dropped a couple of tabs acid when he said Breathe is the best song he did with U2.

I'll make a recommendation to all the Lanois appreciators here that when you've tired of NLOTH, like next November or sometime:applaud:, that you check out his solo work. I especially like his albums Shine and Here Is What Is. I saw him in LA last spring, he played a brief set at the premiere of his movie, and man, was it ever cool. He made a helluva racket with his gold top Les Paul and a Vox amp (like someone else we know :wink:).

I really hope Eno and Lanois at least play with U2 live on tour. Lanois is incredible live...:applaud:

Lanois is incredible live...:applaud:

Somewhere (maybe in U2 by U2) Bono describes Lanois as being a true white soul brother, a man w/ more music in his little finger than Eno has in his whole body. This is true, he kills it live. Just watch a few Youtube videos and you'll be convinced Bono and mobonofo are right.

And this shouldn't be perceived as a slight against Brian Eno, who, despite his own protestations, is a great musician. Check out his recent collaboration w/ David Byrne. It's called something like Everything That Happens Will Happen Today. One of the most intriguing/funniest books I've read recently is Eno's A Year With Swollen Appendices, only a smattering of (old) U2 content but worth recommending.

Back
Top Bottom