Eze Clips DISCUSSION thread only II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Yeah good stuff. The 5th clip sounds the worst but its hard to judge. The others sound good with some nice guitar in there. Is sexy boots the one that has the "Crosstown Traffic" influences. Being a massive Hendrix fan I'm kinda guessing that this is the song that they were on about.

The fifth clip is definitely the worst, rjhbonovox. It scared the **** out of me because it was the first that I listened too. A weepy go-nowhere ballad with lots of whiny vocals. Blegh. :doh:

I'm really liking clip 2 more and more each time I hear it. Bono is doing A LOT of cool vocal stuff here that I haven't heard in a long time(or ever), even in the first verse, and it's pretty rockin' tune overall. I think some good final production will make this one pretty awesome!

Frankly, I know these five tracks make up only half of the album at most but only clip four managed to woo me. It's noticeably spacier than their last few albums but there is way too much "woah-ooo"-ing and a lot of guitar slicing left and right. Not the catchy U2 I've come to know and love. :sad:

Hoodlem said:
Clip 4 - chord sequence is as follows (my guitar may be out of tune so it could be in a slightly different key):

Chorus/Solo - F#m, C#m, A, E, B, Bm...then back to F#m and repeat.

It is an absolutely beautiful chord sequence. I love that they are bringing back a bit of the melancholy with all the minor chords. Also the trippy bit before solo seems to just be a sustained F#m.

Any guitar players who can confirm or deny this? Try it out, it's beautiful.

I don't want to listen to clip 4 becuase everybody seems to be so thrilled about it I'd rather save it for the proper first listen.

But if that chord progression is accurate it seems to be the same as the 2nd Edgeback bit with Adam and Lanois where Eno asks them for two more cycles, is that correct?

I don't want to listen to clip 4 becuase everybody seems to be so thrilled about it I'd rather save it for the proper first listen.

But if that chord progression is accurate it seems to be the same as the 2nd Edgeback bit with Adam and Lanois where Eno asks them for two more cycles, is that correct?

I had not watched edgeback since the beach clips came out, but going back now it is definitely the same song. Lots more going on in the beach clip version of course but good for you for waiting. It will be worth it.

Seriously, what a song. I'm not sure we've hard the likes of it in over a decade.

Clip 3 sounds trippy. It's sounds like sort of vertigo-style spoken-verses but with, if I'm hearing right, a much better chorus - this trippy, melodic, almost Alice-In-Chains-ish metal-but-catchy kind of chorus.

Anyone else hearing it this way?

Clip 3 sounds trippy. It's sounds like sort of vertigo-style spoken-verses but with, if I'm hearing right, a much better chorus - this trippy, melodic, almost Alice-In-Chains-ish metal-but-catchy kind of chorus.

I'd say that's a pretty good description.

Well that says alot, because the chorus in Vertigo was/is EXTREMELY catchy. I've caught friends of mine who are non-U2 fans singing that chorus without realizing it. So if this new leaked clip has a "better" chorus, then I'm thinking we've got a winner here.

Didn't someone in an article or interview say that the new single "Sexy Boots" or "Knockin da Boots" or whatever the hell it'll be...has "Vertigo-style scat singing vocals"?

If so then maybe clip 3 is the possible new single.

Clip five is the only one that made me cringe.

Too much woah oh oh woah oh oh oh ho and less lyrics.. It sounds to me like a rough draft.

I really enjoy the rest of them though, and it only whets my appetite even more so for when the album does come out.

I've been singing clip two already, and it gets in my head easily. As does clip one and clip three.

As for clip four...

Yea.

I think "wow" just about covers it.

Could that be Moment of Surrender?

Clip 3 - let's call it "Sexy Boots" - has been growing on me so much, it has an irresistible groove and I like the vocal layers. I was singing the song almost all day yesterday. Can definitly see it as the first single. 4 is still my favourite one, followed by clip 1. Clip 2 is great in parts, but over all the least convincing one of the four original clips. Clip 5 is bad in quality, it's so hard to make something out on that one, but from what I've heard so far I must say it's the least interesting one.

Clip 3 - let's call it "Sexy Boots" - has been growing on me so much, it has an irresistible groove and I like the vocal layers. I was singing the song almost all day yesterday. Can definitly see it as the first single. 4 is still my favourite one, followed by clip 1. Clip 2 is great in parts, but over all the least convincing one of the four original clips. Clip 5 is bad in quality, it's so hard to make something out on that one, but from what I've heard so far I must say it's the least interesting one.

I've abstained from listening to the any of clips, although I started playing one of them on Youtube the other day for about 3 seconds before 'x-ing' it out and shutting down my computer.

My question is can you hear the bass and drums in the crappy quality of the recordings? and if so, then what in your opinion is your impression about the direction that Larry and Adam are going?

There seems to be a direct correlation with U2's greatest work and some very strong and exceptional bass and drum playing by the two of those guys. One of the constant things that I keep reading in interviews is that the rhythm section is out of this world on this album. So that makes me really excited about the potential of this album to be not only a hit, but an alltime U2 classic.

Clip 3 - let's call it "Sexy Boots" - has been growing on me so much, it has an irresistible groove and I like the vocal layers. I was singing the song almost all day yesterday.

Maybe I have been listening to the wrong version of these clips, but I cannot even make out enough of the sound to get the song. I have the "ben's beach clips" mp3... If anyone has anything different, please email! stealthboy@gmail.com

Maybe I just need to listen more to start to pick it out ;).

I don't think it will sound like Vertigo, also it is hard to move Vertigo from its spot. That song is one of their better rock/pop songs, that song realy worked live. Such a energy in that song live, instead of playing it live two times in the shows they could have added on in the middle of the set also. Its the song I have heard live most of all the HTDAAB songs and it never losts its energy.

I don;t know why people hate clip 5, I finally woke up this emorning and had a chance to hear it, and I love it. Much more mellow, looks like we will be getting a Token Quiet Song on this album! It sounds like it would be good bridging into song 4.

My order has shaken up a bit, I still like 2 the best, Chorus is just awesome!

2, 4, 1, 5, 3 - and I do love Sexy Boots, so this album looks like it'll be a clanger!

When I first heard clip #5 I thought I was listening to "Grace" from ATYCLB at first. It had that exact sound to it. Anyway, I read comments earlier trying to compare these clips to Achtung, Baby!. While these songs sound great, in no way even remotely are they on the same level as that album.

When I first heard clip #5 I thought I was listening to "Grace" from ATYCLB at first. It had that exact sound to it. Anyway, I read comments earlier trying to compare these clips to Achtung, Baby!. While these songs sound great, in no way even remotely are they on the same level as that album.

Well, they're not on AB's level in this format. We'll see how everyone feels when they hear them in album quality in 3 months. :wink:

For the person who asked earlier, yes, you can hear the bass on these recordings extremely well, but not the drums.

Well, they're not on AB's level in this format. We'll see how everyone feels when they hear them in album quality in 3 months. :wink:

For the person who asked earlier, yes, you can hear the bass on these recordings extremely well, but not the drums.

Just wondering, what are your impressions of the bass after hearing the clips?

I'm really curious to what type of drumming Larry has been doing on this album. Being a bit of a hack drummer myself, I'm naturally drawn to the rhythm sections of songs. I've got a strong feeling that Larry will shine on this album.

I'm really curious to what type of drumming Larry has been doing on this album. Being a bit of a hack drummer myself, I'm naturally drawn to the rhythm sections of songs. I've got a strong feeling that Larry will shine on this album.

Actually, on clip 4, what you CAN hear of the drums sounds really good. I mean seriously, have we EVER heard a fill like that from Larry?

Clip 5 is much less clear than the other 4, so we can't say for sure that it's worse. All we can make out is a vocal melody, and a little bit of music.

With the promise shown in clips 1-4, I think it's more people that are or were expecting to be disappointed trying to save face by jumping on a lower quality clip.

Afterall, if the al bum is aweomse, what will there be to fight and complain about!

People have compared his current work to some tracks from Pop, and I can definitely understand that. He's not just playing the root notes and keeping time, but coming up with nifty countermelodies as well. While my favorite part of the clips is undoubtedly Bono's vocals, Adam is no slouch.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/adam_fans.swf

People have compared his current work to some tracks from Pop, and I can definitely understand that. He's not just playing the root notes and keeping time, but coming up with nifty countermelodies as well. While my favorite part of the clips is undoubtedly Bono's vocals, Adam is no slouch.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/adam_fans.swf

Yes, I did see that clip....Thanks for sharing it though.

Its funny you mention POP because I think out of all of their albums, I rank POP as the best album to showcase U2's rhythm section. I know I'm part of the minority here, but I rank POP as U2's THIRD best album EVER...a small step ahead of ATYCLB and Zooropa. There's so much going on there that it literaly took me many years and many listens to realize it.

I thought that Larry and Adam carry that album on their backs. The rhythm sections in "Do you feel loved" "MOFO" "Gone" "If God would send his angels" "Playboy Mansion" are so g-damn good that it makes me think that if this new album is anything like that we are in for a big big treat.

This album so far feels like it combines some good areas from each of the bands pasts.

While some are trying to define the sound; what album it sounds like, what we can expect etc, so far I hear a lot of albums in this.

U2's progression has often come from exploring new sonic territory. With the number of songs in their back catalogue, that is becoming more and more difficult, which is probably why many were so disappointed with Bomb.

I think that the source of the 'new' ground in this album is fusing the great points of many other albums.

Adam's bass reminds me of The Unforgettable Fire. He was creative, played counter-melodies, and really was brought to the forefront of the sound. Indian Summer Sky and Boomerang (I and II) are great examples. There is also a lot of War in his style.

Larry's drums, as mentioned by LemonMelon above remind us a lot of Pop. They are the least clear in these clips, but he seems to really be pounding the skins in some songs, and isn't afraid to try and explore new beats and rythms.

Edge's guitar sounds to me like a fusion of a few sounds. The heavier songs have Achtung Baby all over them. The heavy distortion, the fast pace, they sound very well produced. The quiter songs (clip 1 and 5) have a bit of Unforgettable Fire in them, especially A Sort of Homecoming live. There is also some HTDAAB on the rockier songs.

Bono has returned to form for the first time since the early 90's. His voice has been strong of late, but not as clear or powerful as it was. His voice sounds pure and confident, and I am hearing Rattle & Hum, and also Achtung Baby.

So, if this is any indication, I think the 3 albums for me that have influenced the sound of this record are The unforgettable fire, Achtung Baby, and Pop.

We can hopefully expect something with the vision, purity, honesty and creativity of UF, the experimentation and boldness of AB, and the fun, funk and sonic expansivness of Pop.

I have an interview for an internship with a rock radio station tomorrow..lets hope I get it so I can get an advanced copy of the single :drool:

Back
Top Bottom