You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so funny to read the posts of people who think the song is crap and U2 have become crap and blah, blah, blah.. I have been playing the song non stop with headphones on and believe me: this song kicks ass and if you don't like it go play your Joshua Tree CD and stop crying about how crap U2 has become.

Alright...this is a grower...it gets better the more I hear it.

U2 should just keep Eno and Lanios on for every album. I'm thinking Pop and HTDAAB's biggest problems were no Brian and Danny. Like it or not, they do their best work with this duo. Here's what I'm seeing in GOYB...

It's both dense and sonically spacious. The first few listens made me think, alright, this is Vertigo 2009. But upon subsequent listenings, deeper elements surfaced and (I don't know how he does it) but Eno's production can pack a song so full of hidden elements that it's like a magic eye poster - once you uncover a few, the song gets BIGGER, more epic. It's not just catchy anymore, there's a real mental playground in there. In Eno's production, the elements of the song blend together yet somehow remain distinct. There's always room for exploration.

This song is deceptively light. There is some heaviness there beneath the surface. The chorus is circular and more complicated than it seems. It achieves a swirling affect that woos you deeper into the song, right before it swings you back out into the full sonic assault. The "Let me in the sound" part is my favorite part of all. The guitars are so under-stated, so minimalistic, and yet so satisfying. This is a song that reveals more to you the more you listen... something I haven't heard in U2 since the zoo days.

Don't call this an Elevation or Vertigo...there's more in there if you take the time to explore it.

Come on album, LEAK...

There's a Jeff Tweedyesque paint a picture in your head lyrical style by Bono in the verse lyrics that reminds me of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot era Wilco.

Local Time: 03:08 PM Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroni
I didn´t like it

pretty average for U2

REAAAAALLY bad and obvious cover

But they got credit because if it wasn´t for Bono´s voice I wouldn´t know that it is an U2 song. Very different from what they have been doing

let´s wait for the rest...

JCOSTER:

Thats what they wanted was something very different that didn't sound like
U2, I remember when WOWY came out I was like WTF? But then I saw the video and was like . Like alot of songs it will grow on ya.

and yes the cover does suck.

------ Caroni reply:

3 listens ....:hmm: I think I´m looving it now :lol:

You're not from Space Moon are you?

Never seen a moon like this, can you see it too?

So, I pretty much love this song.

A few points:

1. It's catchy as fuck. When I'm not listening to it, it's in my head. I laughed when I read someone's post that they had listened to the song many times and still couldn't remember how it goes. I understand that everyone has different opinions, but it really surprises me that there are people who don't think this song is infectious, whether they like it or not.

2. The production is killer...love all the layers. I didn't even notice the acoustic guitar in the chorus until like the 20th listen...I love songs where I discover new sounds upon repeated listens. Reminds me of Pop in that respect

3. The breakdown is badass, great wah-wah guitar and obviously the drums (I think Massive Attack meets Bonham was an accurate description) and then when the riff comes back... :drool:

4. It is similar to Vertigo in some ways (riff-based, verses with bass and sort of percussive guitar, the lyric delivery, catchy chorus), but that basically means it's the same type of song. Not the same song. I think/hope it's different enough that people won't be like ZOMG VERTIGO X2

5. I doubt this will be the best song on the album, which makes me even more excited for it.

6. The lyrics are strange, but I like them alright. Not Bono's best by far but they're fun, though probably the weakest part of the song (except for the Space Moon shout-out)

7. Can't wait to hear this live

8. Did I mention it's catchy?

Remember the song "Please" on POP? Bono is a very modern in his beliefs.

That song is actually identical to the teachings of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount (referenced in the song) "If you bring your gift to the altar and remember that your brother has something against you, leave and make peace with your brother before you bother acting religious at the altar."

Some of the best new ideas also happen to be ancient.

Why are people acting like this some is some kind of uncharacteristic slide into bubblegum, when they were doing this kind of genre bending on Zooropa and POP?

Where the fuck have you been for the last 15 years? Get over it.

I don't know why I even bother coming in here.

But some people are saying it sounds like Achtung Baby.. which it doesn't. It is no where near Achtung Baby.

I can see few similarities with Miami with the electro drumming but that's about it.

It sounds like a song that the U2 of this decade would write.

Not saying it's a bad song. I think if you look at this as just a song, it's not bad it's good, but it is definitely not a memorable, unforgettable, drop your jaws and drool, type of a song. It's a nice, quick, punch in the face song that you could play when you're in your car wanting to drive fast, with your friends and fancy a dance or a jump off, etc. Certainly not on the same level as the songs that made U2.. U2 back in the 80s and 90s.

U2 have always experimented throughout last 15 years, yes, true. But there was always one element, just something embedded in the music that you knew it was U2 the moment you hit the play button. It hasn't been the same for this single.

Again. Not saying I don't like it or it's a bad song. It's just not a U2 song I'd put on top 1/3 of my playlist or even top 1/2 of it.

Women in the middle east wear burkas because they choose to wear it, because they choose to follow their religion, because they choose to cover their bodies. Bono himself is a religious man and I wouldn't think he would tell other people to lose their religion either.

Er, yeah...:|

There's a lot of choices...

Actually the ending drum breakdown totally reminds me of the live version of Miami from the Pop Mart tour.

Then you get lyrics like this:
Free me from the dark dream
Candy bars, ice cream
All the kids are screaming but the ghosts aren’t real

That make me think of Wilco..

and the guitar is just so grinding it is as if Edge has been listening to some of the current psycheledic retro rock throwback bands getting popular now.

It is so funny to read the posts of people who think the song is crap and U2 have become crap and blah, blah, blah.. I have been playing the song non stop with headphones on and believe me: this song kicks ass and if you don't like it go play your Joshua Tree CD and stop crying about how crap U2 has become.

:lol::up:

Alright...this is a grower...it gets better the more I hear it.

U2 should just keep Eno and Lanios on for every album. I'm thinking Pop and HTDAAB's biggest problems were no Brian and Danny. Like it or not, they do their best work with this duo. Here's what I'm seeing in GOYB...

It's both dense and sonically spacious. The first few listens made me think, alright, this is Vertigo 2009. But upon subsequent listenings, deeper elements surfaced and (I don't know how he does it) but Eno's production can pack a song so full of hidden elements that it's like a magic eye poster - once you uncover a few, the song gets BIGGER, more epic. It's not just catchy anymore, there's a real mental playground in there. In Eno's production, the elements of the song blend together yet somehow remain distinct. There's always room for exploration.

This song is deceptively light. There is some heaviness there beneath the surface. The chorus is circular and more complicated than it seems. It achieves a swirling affect that woos you deeper into the song, right before it swings you back out into the full sonic assault. The "Let me in the sound" part is my favorite part of all. The guitars are so under-stated, so minimalistic, and yet so satisfying. This is a song that reveals more to you the more you listen... something I haven't heard in U2 since the zoo days.

Don't call this an Elevation or Vertigo...there's more in there if you take the time to explore it.

Come on album, LEAK...

Thought this album was produced by Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite?

2. The production is killer...love all the layers. I didn't even notice the acoustic guitar in the chorus until like the 20th listen...I love songs where I discover new sounds upon repeated listens. Reminds me of Pop in that respect

I think that's one of the things I love most about POP as well, listening to that album through headphones while travelling home from work was like peeling an onion.

Quote:
this thread is moving way too fast for a detailed lyrical analysis, but i think the alternate title of this song should be: "Burn Your Burka."

it's a call to (i think) Muslim youth, specifically, to, essentially, fuck the past and kiss the future and reject the fundamentalism of their past in favor of self-realization, self-actualization, and self-confidence.

Interesting! So he sing to a muslim woman with boots on? What does he mean with let me in the sound? Sound of war? or terrorism?

Anyone?

My wife used to choose to have dinner on the table when I got home. Now that the courts have said I can't hit her, she chooses not to. :|

For some reason I have a feeling that there's more truth to this statement than there should be.

My favorite lyrics from the song are:

"Light is falling everywhere
rockets hit the funfair
Satan loves a bomb scare,
but he won't scare you"

But some people are saying it sounds like Achtung Baby.. which it doesn't. It is no where near Achtung Baby.

I can see few similarities with Miami with the electro drumming but that's about it.

It sounds like a song that the U2 of this decade would write.

Not saying it's a bad song. I think if you look at this as just a song, it's not bad it's good, but it is definitely not a memorable, unforgettable, drop your jaws and drool, type of a song. It's a nice, quick, punch in the face song that you could play when you're in your car wanting to drive fast, with your friends and fancy a dance or a jump off, etc. Certainly not on the same level as the songs that made U2.. U2 back in the 80s and 90s.

U2 have always experimented throughout last 15 years, yes, true. But there was always one element, just something embedded in the music that you knew it was U2 the moment you hit the play button. It hasn't been the same for this single.

Again. Not saying I don't like it or it's a bad song. It's just not a U2 song I'd put on top 1/3 of my playlist or even top 1/2 of it.

This is NOT the U2 of this decade. I don't know what you're listening to this on, but the song has so many sonic layers, it's so busy without being cluttered that it is VERY much like the U2 of Zooropa and POP.

I don't see what's more U2 or substantial about Some Days Are Better Than Others, Babyface, Miami (which you mentioned), Last Night On Earth, Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, to name a handful. This isn't any less complex, lyrically or musically.

What I will agree with you on is that this doesn't come anywhere near The Fly. But not much does.

You know, I come here and read what everyone has to say but it's funny that I only really take the opinions of people I "know" seriously. Those are the opinions I respect whether I agree with them or not. Does that make sense? lol

Threads like these can be so frustrating b/c some people just want to be Right. :shrug:

I really like the new single and I'm one of the fans who isn't very keen on their music from this decade. I think it is a major improvement. Between the album art and track listing, I am optomistic about the new album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom