Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone mean that they thought there was literally no chance of it happening? Of course it's possible that U2 play a show without one or two members. Pretty much anything is possible. Generally when people say that something will never happen they mean that it's highly unlikely that something will happen. It's something called "hyperbole." Like when someone says there's no chance that Vladimir Guerrero Jr will be traded - of course there's a chance! It probably won't happen, though. Just like U2 probably won't play without Larry or Adam or Edge or Bono.
Oh

The idea that they’d play without a member of the band just to be the first to play a venue is preposterous.

My bad. It was just hyperbole.

Just saw on U2songs.com that Songs of Surrender is scheduled for a March 17, 2023 release [emoji854]

It is quite odd how I’m ok with the idea of them doing songs of surrender promo shows without Larry (tv appearances, a one off type gig) but not really ok with vegas. I think it feels like with vegas they’d need to actually replace Larry with another drummer but with SOS being stripped back it would probably be Bono’s solo tour band playing alongside them. When it becomes stripped back it’s ok to me for some reason just like when Bono and edge do stuff together including acoustic performances at u2 shows, although I will say in most if not all examples I prefer full band versions of songs.

Just saw on U2songs.com that Songs of Surrender is scheduled for a March 17, 2023 release [emoji854]

a retrospective rerecording of classic songs being released on the most irish day of the year?

i can dig it.

assumingly there will be a single to lead up to the album release. tis a good day to have irish music on the radio - tis.

Oh

My bad. It was just hyperbole.

no, it wasn't hyperbole! Do you think "preposterous" means "impossible?" I'm going to help you out here:

pre·pos·ter·ous
/prəˈpäst(ə)rəs/

adjective
contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous.

Synonyms :
absurd
ridiculous
foolish
stupid
ludicrous
farcical
laughable
comical
risible
harebrained
asinine
inane
nonsensical
pointless
senseless
insane
unreasonable
irrational
illogical
outrageous
shocking
astonishing
monstrous
unbelievable
incredible
unthinkable
crazy

Opposite
reasonable
sensible
From Oxford Languages

See what's not there? IMPOSSIBLE. This isn't the first time that your ability to comprehend what you read has been called into question. It is a preposterous idea that U2 would schedule shows without a member - that doesn't mean that it's impossible for them to do that. They've done all kinds of preposterous things! You thinking that when someone means "literally impossible" when they say "preposterous," and then try to use that as an attempt at a clever "GOTCHA!" post is preposterous.

no, it wasn't hyperbole! Do you think "preposterous" means "impossible?" I'm going to help you out here:

pre·pos·ter·ous

/prəˈpäst(ə)rəs/

adjective

contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous.

Synonyms :

absurd

ridiculous

foolish

stupid

ludicrous

farcical

laughable

comical

risible

harebrained

asinine

inane

nonsensical

pointless

senseless

insane

unreasonable

irrational

illogical

outrageous

shocking

astonishing

monstrous

unbelievable

incredible

unthinkable

crazy

Opposite

reasonable

sensible

From Oxford Languages

See what's not there? IMPOSSIBLE. This isn't the first time that your ability to comprehend what you read has been called into question. It is a preposterous idea that U2 would schedule shows without a member - that doesn't mean that it's impossible for them to do that. They've done all kinds of preposterous things! You thinking that when someone means "literally impossible" when they say "preposterous," and then try to use that as an attempt at a clever "GOTCHA!" post is preposterous.
Oh no you're absolutely right.

How preposterous of me to not think that you actually meant that it might happen based on that.

It's as preposterous as thinking that someone saying that there are plans being made to jump to the conclusion that there are, ya know, plans. Just preposterous, outrageous, illogical and farcical.

Again, my bad.

I'm just trying to be better every day.

Last edited:
Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

If “The Sphere” is as technologically advanced as everyone is saying it is, there’s no reason we can’t have Holographic Larry on Holographic Drums playing each night, like when holographic Will.I.Am was on CNN. There won’t be many/any set list changes in a show like this, so problem solved there.

Also, there’s no way he’d be such a duck as to quit the band if they went ahead and did Vegas without him. He’s probably fine with it, it may be the other three more worried about it. Certainly Larry is the biggest dick in U2, but that’s a pretty low bar (they are pretty non-dickish in general), but he wouldn’t be such a dick as to say “if you play these one off special shows without me while I’m recovering from major surgery without which I will be entirely unable to continue and be tuned into Phil Collins, then I’m ending the band I started.”

I have no idea what the rest of this thread is about anymore.

Came in to see if heads were exploding over this so called "news".

Sure enough...

Have people started calming down yet?

Really don't think U2 will hit the road without Larry, but hey, I've been wrong before :wink:

Predict Larry gets his surgery and they tour after that. U22024. Pretty simple really.. that sphere likely won't even be done in time for November anyways. Didn't the cost just balloon to some insane amount?

:shrug:

It is quite odd how I’m ok with the idea of them doing songs of surrender promo shows without Larry (tv appearances, a one off type gig)s.

SoS stuff without Larry should be pretty acceptable to most U2 fans as the arrangements of the songs are supposedly stripped down, acoustic or whatever.
It would be like the segments of recent tours when Larry & Adam leave the stage and just Bongo and the Egg perform a tune or 2.

I say this as someone who I usually defends U2Songs when people question the legitimacy of their reports, but it’s pretty fucking annoying to get this official date months later after originally rumored, without any context for it or the reasons behind the delay.

U2’s Mullen to be sidelined; Sphere plans unchanged
By John Katsilometes Las Vegas Review-Journal
November 30, 2022 - 10:19 am

It is unlikely U2 will play any live dates next year with drummer Larry Mullen Jr. The original member has disclosed he needs surgery if he is to continue performing.

Reportedly, and as of today, Mullen’s ongoing health concerns have not altered the band’s plans to open The MSG Sphere next fall.

Mullen told the Washington Post this week, in a rare interview, of his plans for surgery. Mullen is battling ongoing neck and elbow problems and also has a history of knee and back ailments.

The information was paraphrased deep in profile of U2, pegged to the band’s upcoming Kennedy Center honor. The awards show will be telecast at 8 p.m. Dec. 28 on CBS.

From the Post story, referring to Mullen, “He’s blunt — he says if the band plays live in 2023 it will probably be without him, as he needs surgery to continue playing — and admits the dynamics in the band are not the same as they were decades ago.”

Mullen’s absence would significantly shake up the band’s personnel for its reported series at The MSG Sphere next fall. Published reports and sources familiar with the band’s booking have indicated the residency is to run six weekends, 12 performances total, beginning in September. Those plans reportedly remain unchanged.

The piece’s author, Geoff Edgers, added context on his Twitter page. “I interviewed Larry on Zoom earlier this month. He was gracious and thoughtful. When I asked a question, he typically paused to think in silence before responding. I got the sense he appreciated the chance to speak in a story about the band he essentially founded.

“I did not ask about his physical issues. He volunteered them. He said that he had been told, in the past, to rest or get work done and take time off. Instead, he pushed himself to perform. He does not want to now. He wants to fix his issues. Because he wants to drum again.”

Edgers also shared quotes from Mullen, which were not in the original story.

“I really miss the audiences. I miss that interaction even though I’m sitting behind a drum kit … My body is not what it used to be physically. Like next year, I won’t be performing live next year. I don’t know what the band’s plan is. There’s talk of all kinds of things.”

Mullen also offered, “I have lots of bits falling off, elbows, knees, necks, and so during Covid, when we weren’t playing, I got a chance to have a look at some of these things. So, there’s some damage along the way.”

As Edgers noted in his Twitter thread, U2 paused when Edge’s daughter Sian was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010, and also in the aftermath of Bono’s bike accident in 2014 and heart crisis in 2016. With that history, the band could well call off any plans as Mullen recovers. The 61-year-old drummer is an original member dating to the band’s 1976 origins.

There has been no confirmation of The Sphere shows specifically from U2 or venue officials. But Bono referred to the band’s next live venture in an interview this month on “The Brendan O’Connor Show,” hosted by the highly rated Irish media personality.

The U2 front man said, “I can’t announce Vegas, you’d have to shoot me! But if it happens, I can promise you it won’t be like anything you’ve ever seen in Las Vegas or anywhere, ever. There’s no place yet big enough. For us to go, it has to be something that no one’s ever gone before.”

And later:

“It will center around ‘Achtung Baby,’ which we feel we need to really honor. But it will also, but we have to have the new songs out don’t we? There’s no place yet, big enough. If we can build one for our audience. But it will be, for us to go, it have to be like no one has ever gone before. That sounds a bit ‘Star Trek.’ Part ‘Star Trek,’ part traveling salesman.”

More than a decade ago, Mullen underwent knee surgery performed by world-renowned Dr. Richard Steadman at The Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado. The veteran rocker was quoted extensively a post from the Steadman Philippon Research Institute’s Foundation News publication in fall 2009.

“I’m a street drummer and I’ve physically abused — neglected may be a better word — my body for a long time, through bad posture, questionable technique, throwing myself around a stage, not eating or hydrating as I should have, and sitting too much,” Mullen said. “Almost all the things I do as part of my job are bad for my body. It’s not just the physical act of hitting things. Rock and roll is about freedom and escapism, it’s like running away to the circus … I was not trained as an athlete, but I have to perform like one.”

I say this as someone who I usually defends U2Songs when people question the legitimacy of their reports, but it’s pretty fucking annoying to get this official date months later after originally rumored, without any context for it or the reasons behind the delay.

they did though?

https://twitter.com/U2start/status/1556336988034416643

that was August - and they said that the physical editions were definitely going to be delayed, likely due to unforeseen supply chain issues with getting vinyl made, but that the band was considering doing a digital release first.

we all collectively just ignored it.

outrageous-egregious-preposterous-jackie-chiles.gif

Oh no you're absolutely right.

How preposterous of me to not think that you actually meant that it might happen based on that.

It's as preposterous as thinking that someone saying that there are plans being made to jump to the conclusion that there are, ya know, plans. Just preposterous, outrageous, illogical and farcical.

Again, my bad.

I'm just trying to be better every day.

Oh my God, you're one of those too ?

Plans are being made because there is no plan. There will be a plan when they are done making it. Thinking that there's a plan before one has been decided upon is absurd. Do you often think think things exist before they've been made? Does the MSG Sphere exist?

What I actually meant was that it's a preposterous idea. Nice attempt to make it seem like I think the meaning of my words was different from what I said. You interpreted me and added meaning that wasn't there. Good reading!

That news clip you posted about plans to play the Sphere not changing is meaningless rehashing of what we already know. As always with U2, we can't believe anything until it's officially announced, no matter how much you want to believe you'll be able to see them or an iteration of them when you go to Vegas next year.

because i'm "one of those"

U2’s Mullen to be sidelined; Sphere plans unchanged
By John Katsilometes Las Vegas Review-Journal
November 30, 2022 - 10:19 am

It is unlikely U2 will play any live dates next year with drummer Larry Mullen Jr. The original member has disclosed he needs surgery if he is to continue performing.

Reportedly, and as of today, Mullen’s ongoing health concerns have not altered the band’s plans to open The MSG Sphere next fall.

can't alter plans that don't exist

think-smart.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom