New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is kinda cool to look at.
year end modern rock chart 1997

Pos Billboard Modern Rock 1997 Artist
--- -------------------------- ------
1. Sex and Candy Marcy Playground
2. Semi-Charmed Life Third Eye Blind
3. Fly Sugar Ray
4. Tubthumping Chumbawamba
5. Walkin' on the Sun Smash Mouth
6. One Headlight Wallflowers
7. #1 Crush Garbage
8. Discotheque U2
9. Freshmen (Responsible) Verve Pipe
10. Staring at the Sun U2
11. Impression That I Get Mighty Mighty Bosstones
12. Push (You Around) Matchbox 20
13. Don't Speak No Doubt
14. Lakini's Juice Live
15. 33 Smashing Pumpkins
16. Everlong Foo Fighters
17. Santeria Sublime
18. If You Could Only See Tonic
19. 3AM Matchbox 20
20. Wrong Way Sublime
21. Greedy Fly Bush
22. Building A Mystery Sarah McLachlan
23. Bitter Sweet Symphony Verve
24. End is the Beginning Smashing Pumpkins
25. Criminal Fiona Apple
26. Gone Away Offspring
27. Bitch Meredith Brooks
28. The Difference Wallflowers
29. Hitchin' A Ride Green Day
30. A Long December Counting Crows
31. Not An Addict K's Choice
32. Your Woman White Town
33. Song 2 Blur
34. 6 Underground Sneaker P*mps
35. Volcano Girls Veruca Salt
36. Eye Smashing Pumpkins
37. New Pollution Beck
38. Monkey Wrench Foo Fighters

This is kinda cool to look at.
year end modern rock chart 1997

Pos Billboard Modern Rock 1997 Artist
--- -------------------------- ------
1. Sex and Candy Marcy Playground
2. Semi-Charmed Life Third Eye Blind
3. Fly Sugar Ray
4. Tubthumping Chumbawamba
5. Walkin' on the Sun Smash Mouth
6. One Headlight Wallflowers
7. #1 Crush Garbage
8. Discotheque U2
9. Freshmen (Responsible) Verve Pipe
10. Staring at the Sun U2
11. Impression That I Get Mighty Mighty Bosstones
12. Push (You Around) Matchbox 20
13. Don't Speak No Doubt
14. Lakini's Juice Live
15. 33 Smashing Pumpkins
16. Everlong Foo Fighters
17. Santeria Sublime
18. If You Could Only See Tonic
19. 3AM Matchbox 20
20. Wrong Way Sublime
21. Greedy Fly Bush
22. Building A Mystery Sarah McLachlan
23. Bitter Sweet Symphony Verve
24. End is the Beginning Smashing Pumpkins
25. Criminal Fiona Apple
26. Gone Away Offspring
27. Bitch Meredith Brooks
28. The Difference Wallflowers
29. Hitchin' A Ride Green Day
30. A Long December Counting Crows
31. Not An Addict K's Choice
32. Your Woman White Town
33. Song 2 Blur
34. 6 Underground Sneaker P*mps
35. Volcano Girls Veruca Salt
36. Eye Smashing Pumpkins
37. New Pollution Beck
38. Monkey Wrench Foo Fighters

my streaming stats would tell you that, musically at least, i'm mentally stuck in my senior year of high school (97-98)

It's funny, Discotheque was a Top 10 hit, I'd hardly call that a bust, yet it certainly doesn't have the same staying power as One or Mysterious Ways. Perhaps it was name recognition and anticipation of a new U2 album that initially carried it. That said, I think Gone should have been the lead off single.

the early 90s was about rock and heaviness and being depressed and on heroin. by the mid/late-1990s, with the economy roaring and general peace and prosperity, kids just wanted to have fun again. hence, MMMBop (which is actually a flawless pop masterpiece). and to sound like the old man i've become, the second half of the 90s were great for pop, but rock turned to shit. early 90s rock was great, and a generally better time period than all of the 80s for rock. even the rock hits of 1997 are super pop-y. and i can sing every word to just about every song on that list.

also, REM released what many feel was their best album (and had many viable singles) in 1996, and it was a huge flop compared to their previous three albums, and this after they signed a gigantic record deal. so for U2 to follow a relatively similar path a year later in 1997 shouldn't be surprising, the difference being those try-hard, pick-me U2ers were willing to tour their asses off and make expensive music videos. i also rewatched the Discotheque video last night, and it's a mess of half-baked ideas. at the time, i remember thinking that Garbage had more successfully pulled off the sound U2 wanted.

i have been listening to Pop a lot this past week, and enjoying it quite a bit.

I just can't fathom them being close to releasing anything in September.
It's a possibility.

They re-recorded Songs of Experience in one year with Lillywhite to capture a fuller, live sound. Also, given they keep going on about how they are 'songwriters' now, I assume they arrived at the studio with fully fledged songs ready to go rather than their old technique of writing in the studio.

I just finished Surrender the Spotify Audiobook version - loved Bono's snippet of a SOA song with a near-under-his-breath "we should release that..."

Makes me think it's closer to an actual release than I thought.

I just finished Surrender the Spotify Audiobook version - loved Bono's snippet of a SOA song with a near-under-his-breath "we should release that..."

Makes me think it's closer to an actual release than I thought.
Been listening to it (having read it on release). It's absolutely fantastic. Hearing it aloud makes you even more alert to how self aware, self deprecating and funny he is.

Been listening to it (having read it on release). It's absolutely fantastic. Hearing it aloud makes you even more alert to how self aware, self deprecating and funny he is.
Yeah I bought it day 1... but hadn't read it yet (lazy). Spotify also gave me the "hey you should listen to this!" prompt when it came out but I passed on that because who wants to hear Bono read his own long ass book?

Then a complete non-u2 fan at all. Like... he doesn't listen to their music even a little. Mentioned he and his wife had been listening to the audiobook version and found it delightful and they're right ... it IS delightful. So glad I gave it a listen.

Back
Top Bottom