Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying this to be snarky, I'm just late to the party. Can someone explain to me who runs u2songs.com, and why they're so trustworthy? Do we have any idea who their insiders are? What's their track record on correctly predicting U2's next moves, and have they had any wrong info?

Fair question! As Headache says, they've been very reliable in the past.

The most recent example is that they reported on an album of re-recorded older songs called Songs of Surrender way back on April 1, which was only just recently 'announced'/acknowledged by Bono a week or two back. They also cited a Nov 18 release date, which looks likely.

They clearly have some kind of inside scoop, though of course that doesn't mean it's impossible for them to be mistaken, or for the band's plans to significantly change after a rumour is reported.

KOL could probably do a good a job as anyone covering Desire. They did well with Take It Easy. I forgot they opened up for U2 so that’s probably a lock.

Speaking of... typically they get contemporaries and/or artists who were inspired by the act to perform a bunch of said artists songs at the Kennedy Center Honors.

When Springsteen was honored it was Sting, Ben Harper, Melissa Ethridge, John Mellencamp and Eddie Vedder - with the introduction from Jon Stewart.

Wouldn't shock me to see Vedder return for this one. And probably Bruce. But who else?

Michael Stipe

I'm not saying this to be snarky, I'm just late to the party. Can someone explain to me who runs u2songs.com, and why they're so trustworthy? Do we have any idea who their insiders are? What's their track record on correctly predicting U2's next moves, and have they had any wrong info?

If only we had them as the primary source back in the 00's because there were so many bad sources with awful info.

I don't know the owners but what I can tell you is that if they put it on their website, it's certain that it's either true or was true at one point. Can't think of one time that they've been flat out wrong in the last 10 years.

Then the finale is usually when they pull out the gospel choir and everybody comes on stage and sings together. It wouldn't shock me to see Bruce Springsteen (promoting Only The Strong Survive) come out to start "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and then halfway through the song, the gospel choir will appear and all the previous performers will hit the stage for the big singalong.

This must absolutely happen. Everyone in the Kennedy Center should be on their feet clapping and singing along a capella. These award shows live for those kind of transcendent moments, and the KC Honors has been unusually good over the years at delivering them.

I remember watching Jessye Norman singing a transcendent “Amazing Grace” to Sidney Poitier way back in 1995, and it still sends chills up my spine.

There will also be Coldplay, but that’s fine.

Last edited:
The Kennedy Center Honors has given us a few of those transcendent moments. Heart’s performance of Stairway to Heaven was absolutely breathtaking.

Springsteen took Sting’s “I Hung My Head” and absolutely stole the song. I can’t listen to Sting’s version or Johnny Cash’s version anymore. As far as I’m concerned, that’s a Springsteen song now.

And then there was the Paul McCartney tribute. Steven Tyler came out and absolutely stole the show with an incredible version of the Abbey Road medley, followed by Mavis Staples and James Taylor doing Let It Be into a massive singalong of Hey Jude which just made me cry like a baby.

C’mon, Bruce. Let’s do this.

I'm not super familiar with KCH in general, but the more I see you guys talk about it, I'd actually love to see a Peter Gabriel introduction for U2. Other names I'd toss into the mix of who aren't necessarily wish-list but I could see it are Hozier and Marcus Mumford.

Side note, the way things are shaping up, my vote is those Vegas shows are the ZooTV anniversary and we get maybe one new song during those performances (like "Little Things" was back in 2017) shortly before the new material actually comes out either late 23 or early 24 (knowing this band, the latter feels right).

So the new album is now late 2023 at the earliest? That’s pretty much what we’ve all been speculating for a while now so it’s just confirming what we suspected/feared.

I guess we just need to start saving for Vegas…

I'm very interested to see when the Sphere shows are planned for.

November 2023 is already going to be a crazy time in Vegas with the F1 Race driving up hotel costs. You would think the initial shows at the Sphere would have to be either before or after that week.

December is a historically slow time for Vegas and is typically where you can get some of the best rates around, before things start to ramp up again around NFL Playoffs, Super Bowl and March Madness.

Supposed to be 12 shows Fridays and Saturdays (I initially wrote Saturdays and Sundays in error) starting in the fall. So if it was say 6 weeks they might be planning precisely to finish the weekend before the Grand Prix in vegas or even two weekends before which would take us up to the 5th November maybe starting 29th September? Seems reasonable enough.

Quick question unrelated to the new album.....does anyone know how long Bono's book tour shows are running?

In the absence of the Killers, my guess is Kings of Leon?

KOL could probably do a good a job as anyone covering Desire. They did well with Take It Easy. I forgot they opened up for U2 so that’s probably a lock.

308074031-480px.jpg

Let’s hope they get artists who people actually give a shit about, as opposed to artists who get shat on.

Supposed to be 12 shows Fridays and Saturdays (I initially wrote Saturdays and Sundays in error) starting in the fall. So if it was say 6 weeks they might be planning precisely to finish the weekend before the Grand Prix in vegas or even two weekends before which would take us up to the 5th November maybe starting 29th September? Seems reasonable enough.
Where did you get the 12 Fridays and Saturdays piece from? First time I'm seeing that.

Where did you get the 12 Fridays and Saturdays piece from? First time I'm seeing that.
12 shows altogether, so 6 Fridays and 6 Saturdays.
https://twitter.com/u2start
Billboard did say it wasn’t consecutive shows but I think that was more saying it wouldn’t be 12 nights in a row or anything like that. Can’t imagine they’re only doing every 2nd or 3rd night, doing 6 weekends makes sense to me.

Tried to post a link but it was a guy called John Katsilometes who is an entertainment columnist in Las Vegas who posted that info on Twitter. U2start retweeted it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom