Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m convinced we’re at a similar stage SOI was at when they ditched danger mouse. Which means songs were ready to go and are now going to be worked on further. But I think I’m right in saying the danger mouse version of SOI was ready in 2014 and then even after changing it they still got the album out that year. With SOE they took a year to work on that, so maybe it’s the same as that as well, the album they thought was ready and now we have roughly a year of tinkering with it.

Overall, it's one of the more interesting Bono interviews, but some typical Bongolese in there.

I can't say I am particularly surprised or impressed with his answer in regards to his activism. I can't imagine Bono is dumb, he is well aware that when he hangs around people like Bush and Clinton that it is not going to be perceived positively. But the man is too invested and part of the system that he has to rationalize it somehow by being condescending to activists. This sounds like what every mainstream politician sounds like, i.e. Obama. This whole, I've done the real work, oh and I pay a lot of tax, lol, every rich people spouts this nonsense, and yet the world is still a drastically unequal place even with all these wonderful billionaires around that Bono praises.

I liked Roger Waters little story about this on Joe Rogan's podcast recently, it shows two completely different approaches to activism. I admittedly am on the left and not a fan of Bono's approach to politics or his praise of capitalism, but I guess it gave him the goods. Frankly, a bit dispiriting to see their shameless thirst for money with the pursuit of the Apple deal. I imagine they were rich enough at this point in time.

These guys can't take a hint sometimes. I understand plenty don't care for U2's music, but it's stuff like this that really irritates people. The tax dodging stuff, the hanging out with war criminals, the lame excuses for it, it's just bad optics (apart from my moral feelings on it).

Now there's some reflecting on the actual music and I think Bono is sort of starting to get it but that remains to be seen. I mean, just release the music, if it's good it will speak for itself. I don't see Radiohead having to talk about how on fire Jonny Greenwood is or whatever, they just put out the music and IMO it's miles better.

I hope for less touring and more music, but the band is a corporation now, so that's what we're gonna get.

Last edited:
songs of thongs

maxresdefault.jpg

I’m not really excited for Songs of Surrender. I’m no longer even all that excited for their next album of new material.

But man, after these excerpts, I’m surprisingly excited for this book. I thought a Bono autobiography would be redundant, since U2 By U2 was so well done, but man - he’s an excellent writer. I stopped reading the Guardian snippets because I want to save as much as possible for when I get the book.

In my brief glance of Twitter’s reaction to the Bono interview, there seems to be backlash to the backlash against Bono/U2.

For every leftist who hates Bono’s completely correct disagreement with the “capitalism bad” crowd, many posters are like, “U2 is good, actually, and Bono is not only correct about the need for more capitalism in poor countries …

IMG_3021.JPG

… but he is also a beloved musician who has fronted the biggest and most important band of the past 40 years.”

So we may be at a point where rationality will be returns to The Discourse about the band. U2 is a good band, and Bono, while occasionally annoying, is a good singer and front man and has done, on balance, more good for the world than any other living rock star.

In my brief glance of Twitter’s reaction to the Bono interview, there seems to be backlash to the backlash against Bono/U2.

For every leftist who hates Bono’s completely correct disagreement with the “capitalism bad” crowd, many posters are like, “U2 is good, actually, and Bono is not only correct about the need for more capitalism in poor countries …

View attachment 13327

… but he is also a beloved musician who has fronted the biggest and most important band of the past 40 years.”

So we may be at a point where rationality will be returns to The Discourse about the band. U2 is a good band, and Bono, while occasionally annoying, is a good singer and front man and has done, on balance, more good for the world than any other living rock star.
I was genuinely surprised at all of the "ahhhh not really" responses. I was expecting more along the lines of "he's a wanker but he's right" defenses.

This one was my favorite

https://twitter.com/however7/status/1584741329510477824?t=yTyVIpOG-kl6q_D9VkvgoA&s=19

Reminding people of the band, and the man's, history? Not a bad thing.

I'll say that even with his stupid glasses, these were the best pics of him that I've seen a long while. Looks like he slimmed down a bit. Thanks to us here telling him to be careful of his weight and health. :wink:

I was genuinely surprised at all of the "ahhhh not really" responses. I was expecting more along the lines of "he's a wanker but he's right" defenses.

What I seem to be reading — and this could be the algorithm at play — is “Bono is correct, actually, and today’s sneering young leftists need to understand that there’s much more to ending poverty than just redistribution because it is a complex problem.”

What I seem to be reading — and this could be the algorithm at play — is “Bono is correct, actually, and today’s sneering young leftists need to understand that there’s much more to ending poverty than just redistribution because it is a complex problem.”

That's the problem with absolutism. Just because he has to sit and talk or have lunch with a politician or CEO that is less than desirable in a multitude of ways, doesn't mean that he approves of them as people or even their position. If he can get them to spend millions or billions to save people's lives, then at least they've done one good thing.

That's the problem with absolutism. Just because he has to sit and talk or have lunch with a politician or CEO that is less than desirable in a multitude of ways, doesn't mean that he approves of them as people or even their position. If he can get them to spend millions or billions to save people's lives, then at least they've done one good thing.

Yes. It's also the difference between people who value integrity and people who value results.

There are those who will say "I will keep my values in tact by never associating with this demon!" and, although nothing gets done, they sleep better at night feeling like they've stood up for truth and justice.

And then there are those of us who say "I may have to sit across the table from some awful people, and it won't look pretty, but I'll *actually get something done* here. And those results are worth more than any image or message." This seems to be Bono's position, and I applaud him for it.

Makes me laugh a little that the press got ahold of Bono's quote about AC/DC and took it to mean he wants to do an AC/DC - inspired album.

You Cooked Me All Night Long (There is an oven light)

...I tried

Yes. It's also the difference between people who value integrity and people who value results.

There are those who will say "I will keep my values in tact by never associating with this demon!" and, although nothing gets done, they sleep better at night feeling like they've stood up for truth and justice.

And then there are those of us who say "I may have to sit across the table from some awful people, and it won't look pretty, but I'll *actually get something done* here. And those results are worth more than any image or message." This seems to be Bono's position, and I applaud him for it.

Sure, that’s all well and good, but he’s still being way too soft on Bush Jr. Reducing it to “I don’t think he just went to war for the oil” is pretty reductive in terms of the many critiques of that administration, with its manufacturing of a WMD threat as an impetus for a decades-long war, and the failure to attack the actual villains of because of the long-standing Bush-Saudi connection.

Sure, that’s all well and good, but he’s still being way too soft on Bush Jr. Reducing it to “I don’t think he just went to war for the oil” is pretty reductive in terms of the many critiques of that administration, with its manufacturing of a WMD threat as an impetus for a decades-long war, and the failure to attack the actual villains of because of the long-standing Bush-Saudi connection.

I guess that's the politician in him - he's still having to temper his words and play the game due to needing support from all sides in the work he's doing. I totally agree though.

That's something about the interview I had been thinking about - there's some really good questions in there compared to what he normally gets asked, but little in the way of follow-up challenges. Although maybe that's because the interviewer knows Bono is too wily to say any more on some subjects if he doesn't want-to.

For example on the Songs of Ascent - when Bono basically says its done but its not going to get released just now, surely you'd go in to that a bit more - especially when he's already said to Bono that he thinks they work too slowly. Which was a question I thought might have gone in the direction we've discussed on here about why they're not keen to release more music now that they're all getting older and there's clearly a finite time on their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom