You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. U2 have finally, successfully become a vapid party band to compete with and for the young folks.

While I can recognize this as the same band that came up with "Elevation" and "Vertigo", I cannot believe this is the same band that made "Bad" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Until The End of The World". Where did the class and maturity go? The striving for genuine spiritual and artistic transcendence? Were the '70s, '80s and '90s just a big fluke? Were those records rescued by the stellar efforts of in-their-prime producers who clearly no longer give a shit what this band does with itself?

You would hope that the guys that came up with The Joshua Tree in their 20s would be able to come up with something better than this empty tripe in their late 40s. You would hope that all of their experience would give them better taste. You would hope that their friends might step in and offer some needed criticism. I want to believe that if you let Bono listen to this song in 1987, he would have vomited and smashed the record to bits. I want to believe that this is a clever joke, like Bono's adoption of the "Fly" persona in '91.

But, the truth is, we're left with four middle-age guys trying desperately to be hip and have hit records that teenyboppers might buy instead of a new Justin Timberlake album (something that will never happen). Sadly, U2 have officially become the dads who try too hard to fit in with their kids' friends, and end up only embarrassing their own children until they won't even speak to them anymore.

And this is the song that is supposed to generate hype for the new album? This is a sad day, folks, so recognize it for what it is. What was once a beautiful and dignified career is coming to a screeching, shuddering halt with this empty, soulless bubblegum shit.

Wow, just read this post. I *hope* it's not true, but it could very well be. Clearly we need to wait for the entire album to be released before passing judgment, so in my opinion, Indyshade is jumping the gun. But still. I agree with his comment about Bad, Still Haven't Found and UTEOTW. Those songs are immortal, and there are so many other songs by the boys that send shivers up my spine - songs that no other bands could produce - but I haven't felt that since Beautiful Day (and that was the only song from ATYCLB that did that for me).

Something tells me it's more than "experience" or "friends stepping in to give them needed criticism," though. It could be that we're expecting something impossible from them. Expecting them to produce something that touches us like the music of the 80s and 90s did...but it's not the 80s and 90s anymore. That is, they - and we - are just in a different place now and the circumstances are just different: What was going on in history at that time, what was going on in their lives, what was going on in our lives, even the physiological differences that impacted how I saw life in my late teens and 20s vs now pushing 40.

In short, are we holding up too high of a bar for the boys? Even if we are, and NLOTH doesn't have any of the magic that sets them apart from everyone else, I don't let that depress me because we already have the most amazing music ever written and always will.

You know, I come here and read what everyone has to say but it's funny that I only really take the opinions of people I "know" seriously. Those are the opinions I respect whether I agree with them or not. Does that make sense? lol

Threads like these can be so frustrating b/c some people just want to be Right. :shrug:

Woman! Why are you choosing to speak?

There's a Jeff Tweedyesque paint a picture in your head lyrical style by Bono in the verse lyrics that reminds me of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot era Wilco.

that's a really interesting comparison...I can definitely hear Tweedy singing the lines you quoted ("All the kids are screaming but the ghosts aren't real" is one of my favourite lines in the song)

is it weird that I kinda like the lyrics more now because of that?

I think my main gripe is the chorus, which is a bit too reminiscent of COBL. But do I care? not really. It's a badass song, and the delivery of it is very catchy.

Judging the song per se, without retarded/pointless comparisons, I like very much.

Can anyone explain to me what's so hidden in Eno's production?

I personally think this song has more edge (pardon the pun) than Vertigo or anything on their previous two albums.

You know, I still at times scratch my head in wonder over some of the Discotech lyrics though I love the song (and album) and totally get the theme of that song (and album) despite those moments. I say that because I often read about Bono deliberating at length - sweating blood - trying to get the lyrics right, right up until the deadline; and yet he still delivers them like they were just off the top of his head rantings in pure emotion. Like we walked in to the room and found Bono in the middle of an important conversation where he was passionately trying to describe his view. It's a gift that he still has after all of these years. It's called passion and my point is that passion is not always expressed in a linear fashion, with a perfect verse, a chorus or a middle eight. If you disect a passionate conversation, the factions won't make sense. Put them together and you have a message.

Bottom line is that Get on Your Boots has that something that was missing in the previous two albums and is a lot deeper than some people may think. And at first I heard the lyrics and thought, "What the hell is he talking about?" until I listened again paying more attention. So, hell yes, I truly like this song, lyrics & music equally. It's the perfect combination of retro and modern pop - But certainly not bubble gum. And for the record, (this sentence alone might belong in a different thread) but Rick Rubin would have butchered this song. I'm glad Eno and Lanois had a part.

definitely go with the headphone route as well....have been listening now with my studio ref cans...and it is a different beast. If this is an indication of the elements in the album then I think it will please both the casual listener and the musician/producer/engineer alike. A lot of elements here in just over 3 minutes!

That song is actually identical to the teachings of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount (referenced in the song) "If you bring your gift to the altar and remember that your brother has something against you, leave and make peace with your brother before you bother acting religious at the altar."

Some of the best new ideas also happen to be ancient.

He interprets it in a modern way. If "religion is a club" and he wants "heaven on earth" then he's a modern.

I've been listening to U2 since 89, forgot about them until The Fly world premiered on MTV and I just have to say that they've definitely grown as songwriters and Edge is really a proficient guitarist these days.

that's a really interesting comparison...I can definitely hear Tweedy singing the lines you quoted ("All the kids are screaming but the ghosts aren't real" is one of my favourite lines in the song)

is it weird that I kinda like the lyrics more now because of that?

I think my main gripe is the chorus, which is a bit too reminiscent of COBL. But do I care? not really. It's a badass song, and the delivery of it is very catchy.

The verse lyric structure also reminded me of Sparklehorse too.

Wilco and Sparklehorse are two bands I seriously love.

I dunno, a couple of folks.
I hear everything on there; what's the big deal?
You know there are keyboards on Vertigo also....

:ohmy:

I don't know what "hidden" means...

But there are a lot of layers and great textures, something they haven't done with the last two albums.

He interprets it in a modern way. If "religion is a club" and he wants "heaven on earth" then he's a modern.

Excuse me?

"Religion is a club" - Jesus' rant to the Pharisees in Matt 23, or every time he blasts the Pharisees for being religious and acting like an exclusive in-group

"Heaven on earth" - In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus teaches his students to pray "Your kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven"

There's nothing modern about understanding what the ancient words of Jesus actually mean.

I'm really glad I don't immediately think "Wild Wild West" when I hear this song, because I really, really, really, really, really, really hate "Wild Wild West."

Excuse me?

"Religion is a club" - Jesus' rant to the Pharisees in Matt 23, or every time he blasts the Pharisees for being religious and acting like an exclusive in-group

"Heaven on earth" - In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus teaches his students to pray "Your kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven"

There's nothing modern about understanding what the ancient words of Jesus actually mean.

Watch out everyone, iota's got a bible.

john 5:39

Is it just me or does this song sound like that song 'Wild Wild, West'?
:shrug:

It's not just you. You, me, and about 50 other people have posted the same thought in the past 24 hours...even had a link to the wild wild west video on YouTube yesterday. Someone was worried people would make the association, but I always found that song catchy (not a favorite, but catchy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom