You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God ive just checked some other message boards and people really dont like this song.:|
Im worried people might not accept the album.

What boards? to be fair the ones i visit people seem to be quite happy with it (atu2 and u2.com)

Wow. U2 have finally, successfully become a vapid party band to compete with and for the young folks.

While I can recognize this as the same band that came up with "Elevation" and "Vertigo", I cannot believe this is the same band that made "Bad" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Until The End of The World". Where did the class and maturity go? The striving for genuine spiritual and artistic transcendence? Were the '70s, '80s and '90s just a big fluke? Were those records rescued by the stellar efforts of in-their-prime producers who clearly no longer give a shit what this band does with itself?

You would hope that the guys that came up with The Joshua Tree in their 20s would be able to come up with something better than this empty tripe in their late 40s. You would hope that all of their experience would give them better taste. You would hope that their friends might step in and offer some needed criticism. I want to believe that if you let Bono listen to this song in 1987, he would have vomited and smashed the record to bits. I want to believe that this is a clever joke, like Bono's adoption of the "Fly" persona in '91.

But, the truth is, we're left with four middle-age guys trying desperately to be hip and have hit records that teenyboppers might buy instead of a new Justin Timberlake album (something that will never happen). Sadly, U2 have officially become the dads who try too hard to fit in with their kids' friends, and end up only embarrassing their own children until they won't even speak to them anymore.

And this is the song that is supposed to generate hype for the new album? This is a sad day, folks, so recognize it for what it is. What was once a beautiful and dignified career is coming to a screeching, shuddering halt with this empty, soulless bubblegum shit.

didnt see him mention Bono farting into a mic and liking it to be fair, is it so wrong that he likes the songs of U2?

Absolutely not, but it seems to sooooo wrong for some people to dare to say they don't like a U2 song, heaven forbid, as I originally stated its just my opinion!

For me this is a great song and certainly a great single. It is fast and fun (like a girl in sexy boots!!). Some fans expect a song like Bad or With or Without You but the days that those songs could make it in the charts are gone. U2 needs a a first single that points the attention back to them after four years and Get on your Boots certainly doesn't disappoint. If there are people who think that the song is crap to bad for them. I am not going to spoil my enjoyment about this awesome new song because someone else has a different opinion. For them I have heard that Celine Dion has greatest hits album out (only joking, only joking:heart:).

Well, pardon me for having an opinion, but from what your saying U2 could fart into a microphone and you'd still like it because its U2, sorry once again for not particularly liking it maybe I should force myself to like it just to please people who do?

That bit about farting into a microphone made me :lol:
Actually one of my friends would actually still like it even if they made an album of them farting......likes them THAT much hehehehe :lol:

Trying to lighten the mood :ohmy:

This is more like it from U2- Bono's voice sounds much less cracked than on their post-93 voice. I like the dance music influences, the production is aggressive and there's even a slight nod to Queen in some of those big vocal harmonies. Fans of their 90s work (including me) have a lot to be pleased about.

Absolutely not, but it seems to sooooo wrong for some people to dare to say they don't like a U2 song, heaven forbid, as I originally stated its just my opinion!

i was actually debating you respectfully, and you took it to a whole new level with the whole "well excuse me" act.

Wow. U2 have finally, successfully become a vapid party band to compete with and for the young folks.

While I can recognize this as the same band that came up with "Elevation" and "Vertigo", I cannot believe this is the same band that made "Bad" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Until The End of The World". Where did the class and maturity go? The striving for genuine spiritual and artistic transcendence? Were the '70s, '80s and '90s just a big fluke? Were those records rescued by the stellar efforts of in-their-prime producers who clearly no longer give a shit what this band does with itself?

You would hope that the guys that came up with The Joshua Tree in their 20s would be able to come up with something better than this empty tripe in their late 40s. You would hope that all of their experience would give them better taste. You would hope that their friends might step in and offer some needed criticism. I want to believe that if you let Bono listen to this song in 1987, he would have vomited and smashed the record to bits. I want to believe that this is a clever joke, like Bono's adoption of the "Fly" persona in '91.

But, the truth is, we're left with four middle-age guys trying desperately to be hip and have hit records that teenyboppers might buy instead of a new Justin Timberlake album (something that will never happen). Sadly, U2 have officially become the dads who try too hard to fit in with their kids' friends, and end up only embarrassing their own children until they won't even speak to them anymore.

And this is the song that is supposed to generate hype for the new album? This is a sad day, folks, so recognize it for what it is. What was once a beautiful and dignified career is coming to a screeching, shuddering halt with this empty, soulless bubblegum shit.

Why do people do this? seriously? so you dont like it ok fair enough, but why make it sound like its the end of U2 for EVERYBODY? read the forum people LIKE the song,

now i rememberd why i stoppped visiting forums,

i'm a big fan of the lyrics, actually. like most post-2000 Bono, he's trying to actually say something, rather than just write pretty words that don't add up to very much.

First impression after listening to a YouTube cutting:

"Hmm... nice drums. The first few verses are a little... hollow, maybe? Chorus lacks spike... but catchy. Love the ending"

After hearing it in the car this morning, with the stereo at 10:

"Damn. The drums kick ass. The riff's better than I thought! It just isn't meant to be played solo, without drums. The whole song needs to be knitted together to make sense. The chorus is more clever than I thought; it's textured and melodic. This song is meant to be played Loud! LET ME IN THE SOUND, SOUND! I'm going to head-bang to this at some point. I want to hear it again."

As usual, I never 'get' a new U2 song at first listen. Then one part hooks into my brain, drags the rest of the song into it, and then I'm addicted. For a while anyhow. This might still be pure sugar - a quick hit, wearing off quickly - or it may be Turkish Delight, Lokum, flavored with rosewater, and insatiably addictive.

Some joker's going to say U2's lost it's 'deep' lyrics, and compare this song's finale to Vertigo's "yeah yeah yeah yeah.." ending, but they'd miss the point. 'Let me in the sound" might be the perfect manifesto for this album, one which Bono claimed was an opportunity to 'lose himself in the music' again.

If that means leading off with a rocker (like Vertigo was a rocker, the only similarity), and then using these few minutes as a hammer to break down the Bomb and open up a new vista for the band...

Well, it's done that. Those drums at the end, relentless kicking ass, kicking down doors, put force behind Bono's proclamation, and signal that the rest of the album will not be going easy on the listeners.

If ATYCLB was the band playing, "Listen to us again.." music, and BOMB was ".. and now sing along..", BOOTS signals a forceful "NOW hear this!" I haven't really heard since War. That's what the prominent drumming reminds me of, more than AB, or any of the other comparisons going around.

Yup, there's a hint of the Wild West in there, and Elvis (Costello this time). But like another review said, it's evocative and not a rip.

And sure, when Edge's guitar turns from and out-front riff to a buzzing background circular saw of a sound, I did think of The Muse for a second.

But here's the thing.. U2 sits at the center of a sonic (mine)field that has their influences on one side, and bands they've influenced themselves on the other. GOYB touches left, touches right, but never for more then a second before swelling up and under, engulfing everything with this new sound they've brought to the table.

This wasn't what I expected, and this wasn't what anyone else did either. That's a good thing, and shows that once again U2 aren't content to follow, or dive into the current musical stream.

They're diverting rivers, here. With the Edge's saw and Larry's hammer, they've just chiseled out a path to move music away from the U2 tributes that Coldplay and the Killers are producing, leaving those directions as mere tributaries.

A lot to extract from two listens to one song? Maybe, but I've seen U2 play this sort of gambit before, and I'm betting it pays off again.

It's just a matter of how well the public receives this offering.

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts out and share, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Other people's well explained perspective is always so refreshing :up:

The bubblegum is the same bubblegum that characterized U2 in the 90s. It is SARCASTIC.

eh.. what?

this thread is moving way too fast for a detailed lyrical analysis, but i think the alternate title of this song should be: "Burn Your Burka."

it's a call to (i think) Muslim youth, specifically, to, essentially, fuck the past and kiss the future and reject the fundamentalism of their past in favor of self-realization, self-actualization, and self-confidence.

If you feel this badly you should listen to the beach clips for Unknown Caller, Breathe, and Magnificent before you assume that U2 has no high caliber taste. If you still think they don't after hearing those songs I recommend going to a ear doctor.

It looks like we share the opinion when it comes to "Get on Your Boots." For some people, they can't admit if a song from a band they love is squadoosh.

Why do people do this? seriously? so you dont like it ok fair enough, but why make it sound like its the end of U2 for EVERYBODY? read the forum people LIKE the song,

now i rememberd why i stoppped visiting forums,

It's my opinion, dude. I don't expect everybody to believe the same thing. But, I would entreat some of you guys to take a step back and take another look at the scope of their career. If you can't see the descent in quality, I have to wonder if you listen to anything besides U2.

Does this mean you're not sending me a Christmas card? Wait you DO worship the Jesus don't you? If not, I've got something we can argue about.

I do wonder how someone like you got through 10,000+ posts if you've been as rude to other posters in the rest of them.

After listening to the song about 30 times, I still do not completely know what to think about it. One thing I can say is that if it was any other band but U2 I would not have given it a 2nd or 3rd listen. It just does not grab me the way the other 1st singles have in the past.

I am sure the album is going to be amazing, but I am a tad disappointed with GOYB at this stage. I hope it will grow on me though.

RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom