You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disco hit #10 on the U.S. chart (for about thirty minutes, before it crashed into obscurity). SATS was #26 .........
But SATS is probably the better song.

it wasn't on Billboard, at least in the US. but i think it might have made a bigger impact among fans and casual fans because, unlike Discotheque, SATS has a great chorus that you'll never forget.

i remember the hype about SATS, people calling it the "miracle song" and a future all-time U2 classic.

Thanks. That's pretty interesting---it really has always stood out to me as what I remember of U2 from 1997.

Yeah, I do remember the hype about SATS. I think Bono's said years later that they'd hoped that it would become a song that carried the whole summer.

He was saying that in interviews before the album was released. SATS had all the lead up hype. Discotheque was pretty much fresh out of the box. No expectations. I'm sure when picking up the album, more than a few people skipped straight to SATS based on how much it had been talked up.

I got the 256kbps version and I must say that hearing it in somewhat high quality makes the song way better. If you're listening to it in 128lbps from iTuns it sounds pretty crappy.

After listening to it in better quality I like it better. I still don't think it's great, but I like it. The mix is pretty enjoyable when you can hear all the nuances.

^Yeah, I liked it more when I got home and got a nice quality download, played through nice headphones. Much better than listening to the streamed version through crappy computer speakers

Of all the reviews I've read, I'm most in line with this guy...

KuklasKorner : Mike Chen's Hockey Blog : Off Topic: U2’s Get On Your Boots

EDIT: I actually had a little trouble opening it a second time, so I'll just copy & paste...

From time to time, I’ll post fanboy reviews of different new releases in entertainment. In most cases, it’ll either be music (mostly notable indie rock releases) or geeky genre movies (it’s too bad my server crash deleted my review of The X-Files: I Want To Believe over the summer). If none of this interests you, feel free to politely ignore these posts.

Is it better to be innovative or comfortable? I have a feeling that people who listen to U2’s new single Get On Your Boots (check it out here) will fall into one of three categories:

-They prefer “mainstream” U2 and will hate it because it’s not a straightforward pop song.
-They’re music snobs that will hate it for the sake of hating it.
-They like experimental U2 and will give it a chance.

The latter two categories crave innovation but only one of them will accept this new song. As for the first category? If you’re looking for the comfortable, straightforward sounds of Beautiful Day, you still haven’t found what you’re looking for.

I fall into the last category. For a long, long time, I considered U2 one of my favorites, an artistic stalwart that could be counted on for trying something new and different though still maintaining their identity. Sure, some of it succeeded and some of it failed, but at least they weren’t complacent.

Then the 2000s hit, Bono got preachy, and the band homogenized itself, peaking with the utterly banal and predictable How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Which is why I was dreading the upcoming No Line On The Horizon; however, as early reports leaked that Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois were once again steering the U2 ship into uncharted waters, my interest perked up a little bit. When comparisons to The Fly were made just a few weeks ago—a song that beautifully incorporates a dense, layered mix, strong lyrics, and absolutely nothing that sounded like pop music-- I actually started to get excited.

What have we got here with Get On Your Boots? The simple way to explain it is that for anyone willing to give the song a chance, reserve your judgment until you hear it ten times.

My first reaction was that it was nothing like The Fly. Or, for that matter, anything else U2 had done before. Instead, I found myself instantly thinking of British bands Kasabian and Muse. Fuzz bass and a wicked guitar riff carry forward through a driving beat as Bono yells still-banal-but-not-awful lyrics about war and love and meaning before the song takes a series of strong, direct turns, first into a very Eno-esque wash of synths and harmonized vocals. Later, the abrupt shift is a drum breakdown out of nowhere that sounds like it was stolen from Trent Reznor’s library of overproduced percussion. And then it ends. Short, to the point, and almost modular, like different songs were cut and pasted together from the production library.

At first listen, you’ll probably be confused. On subsequent listens, you’ll probably be intrigued. And at some point, if you’re like me, something goes off in your head and you feel like you get it.

The lyrics? At his peak, I considered Bono to be one of music’s top word smiths. He knew how to blend metaphor and imagery so that emotions were carried, not explained. At least, he did this up until 2000. Once he started singing about causes, his words became straightforward preaches formed out of a rhyming dictionary. (Sorry, Bono, but for all your philanthropic efforts, you’ll never live down writing songs called Peace On Earth or Miracle Drug.) If he wrote Bad (1984’s brilliant musings on heroine addiction) today, it would simply be “Take the needle out of your arm/Otherwise you’ll die in a barn.”

As for the Boots’ music, it’s rock, but it’s not boring rock. Is it good? It’s innovative and different, though slightly borrowed from bands that have hit the scene since Atomic Bomb released. I wouldn’t say it’s an instant classic by any means, but it gives me hope that the band decided that they didn’t want to venture into Rolling Stones-style comfort. Instead, they’re still absorbing the sounds of the world, both the popular and obscure, and trying to channel it into something that’s still distinctly them.

Another way to look at it: As much as I liked Morrissey’s I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris, it still sounded like the same ol, same ol. It lacked the muscle or life of Moz’s comeback single Irish Blood, English Heart, and as such, it was a nice song that I’ll listen to a few times and probably never come back to. It was comfortable. Get On Your Boots is different than that.

It’s disjointed, in some cases disharmonious, and very unpredictable. In many cases, when those elements are brought together, you get something that is utterly unlistenable and awful. In other cases, you get Radiohead’s OK Computer. I highly doubt No Line On The Horizon will approach OK Computer levels of greatness but Get On Your Boots works in a very bizarre way that whets the appetite of this jaded U2 fan. For the first time in years, I can’t wait to hear what they’ve got up their sleeve.

Now Bono, about those lyrics…

That review is sooooo up my alley. (Love the comment about Bad's lyrics, if they were written by Bono today).

I'm loving that so many people who thought the Bomb was a disaster are loving this.

TRANSLATION:

This song sounds terrible the first time you listen to it. However, if you beat it into your head and force yourself to like it you will. You'll notice that U2 have blatantly stolen from another artist, but this is what makes the song innovative. Overall, the song sucks, is disjointed, and makes no sense lyrically. That's why it is awesome.

TRANSLATION:

This song sounds terrible the first time you listen to it. However, if you beat it into your head and force yourself to like it you will. You'll notice that U2 have blatantly stolen from another artist, but this is what makes the song innovative. Overall, the song sucks, is disjointed, and makes no sense lyrically. That's why it is awesome.

We understood you the first time...

no need to repeat yourself every two pages mate.

TRANSLATION:

so that makes you category 2?

TRANSLATION:

We get the damn point already. Now let out your anger in the angry dome.

Will the "Get On Your Boots" on the album be longer than this single version?
Or will it be the say 3:24? What did they do with vertigo?

Worldwide Radio Goes Wild For New U2
January 20, 2009 10:19 AM ET
Jen Wilson, London

In the United States, "Boots" received 529 total spins, according to
Nielsen BDS. KYSR-Los Angeles played it 24 times, while KENZ-Salt Lake
City was second with 18.

Yeah way to represent Salt Lake City!:up: Maybe thats why U2 comes here on every tour now.

Will the "Get On Your Boots" on the album be longer than this single version?
Or will it be the say 3:24? What did they do with vertigo?

Vertigo is the same.

The video with the list of the songs on the album, including a lot of track times, has 3:25 for GOYB. Massive difference.

For those of you concerned about the fate of Shawn the DJ at Seattle's 103.7 The Mountain, after she posted through-the-door snippets of GOYB last week, here's what she had to say on Monday:

Here's how my Saturday morning began... with a voicemail (on my cell phone no less) from a representative of U2 saying, "Shawn, you are ruining my vacation in Mexico!" That was followed by entrities to remove my crappy snippets of the new U2 song.

And by entrities, I mean threats.

So down the snippets came, and now we have the actual song to hear and purchase on iTunes. So no hard feelings, Bono!

Hee!

103.7 The Mountain - KMTT Radio Seattle, World Class Rock, Concerts, - Shawn Stewart's Blog

For those of you concerned about the fate of Shawn the DJ at Seattle's 103.7 The Mountain, after she posted through-the-door snippets of GOYB last week, here's what she had to say on Monday:

Here's how my Saturday morning began... with a voicemail (on my cell phone no less) from a representative of U2 saying, "Shawn, you are ruining my vacation in Mexico!" That was followed by entrities to remove my crappy snippets of the new U2 song.

And by entrities, I mean threats.

So down the snippets came, and now we have the actual song to hear and purchase on iTunes. So no hard feelings, Bono!

Hee!

103.7 The Mountain - KMTT Radio Seattle, World Class Rock, Concerts, - Shawn Stewart's Blog

:up: :up: :up: Awesome! haha

I like it. It's not nearly as immediate as their last first singles from this decade, but more of a grower. I really like the production on it which has me really looking forward to the album.

So, what is Bono talking about? In the proud tradition of nonsensical Bono lyrics, that is not often clear. There's rockets at the fun fair, Satan loves a bomb scare, candyfloss ice cream and ghosts that aren't real. Someone's stuff is blowing up, Bono's into growing up, and Hey! Sexy boots! Get on your boots! Yeah!

See, makes total sense.

LIKE I CARE. THIS SONG IS GENIUS.

What will be made most of (other than his wonderful take on a Wilhelm Scream about two minutes in) is Bono's line "I don't want to talk about the wars between the nations." NEITHER DO WE, BONO! YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR, REMEMBER. GOOD JOB. "Not right now." Oh right. In a minute then. It really wouldn't be Bono without epic, politicised gestures. Neither would it be Bono without some unfettered praise of women (who "are the future with the big revelations"), and sweetly clumsy mixed metaphors ("I got a submarine, you got the gasoline.")

It all ends on a long, half-time drum breakdown, with Bono chanting that he wants us all to "meet him in the sound! Yeah, hey HEY!" Which you should do, it's really rather good in there. Really! U2's pendulum has swung back to wacky experimentalism. Rejoice! I'm only mildly disappointed they didn't call it Sexy Boots. Song titles were never their strong suit.

Verdict: WIN. Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Even if the album tracklist does read like a McSweeneys list, I have faith that U2 will once again ride on the Unsuck Express. Also, Bono has cut his hair really short, which always means business.[/I]

Still too early to say what this new album will sound like. GOYB is a good song but this review is making it sound like it's 10/10.

Some people are making comparisons to it being similar to The Fly or Discotheque and I just don't see it.

It's a good song and it does create a bit of curiosity as to what will follow. Looking forward to hearing it live but it's not getting anywhere near The Fly or Discotheque in terms of single ranking.

I agree. Makes me look forward to the album a lot more.
There are a lot of messages in there, all them positive. But none of them direct. If you don't look for them, they're not there.

I definitely look forward to what the new album has in store.

About the messages, I totally agree with you. If you just listen to the lyrics as individual lines, you'll never understand the song. But if you listen to the song as a whole and you kinda take in the whole song, you get it.

I would like to add that this is exactly what interference was clamoring for... Each band member gets to shine, layers are varied, Bono employs some of the least direct lyricism of his career, it sounds like pop+ab+a bit of bomb. I know this varies from person to person, but I had imagined that interference of all plaes would love this song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom