Y so Much Achtung

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's funny is that what you described as "opener qualities" is exactly what they do for Real Thing, except Adam and Edge switch places. Calm down, Real Thing is a much better opener that Breathe. Breathe is a fantastic song, but it did not kick off the show very well. Would have been better as the closer of the main set, I think.

Whereas Real Thing starts the show with a bang. Awesome music, even cooler light show, and it gets the crowd going - even if they don't all recognize the song, they can party to it. Plus, following it with The Fly, Mysterious Ways, and End of the World is like a one-two punch times, well, four.

This thread is blasphemy and should be deleted. :angry:

I'm perfectly calm. I just don't understand why everyone has to bitch, or why they felt it necessary to cut it out of the Rose Bowl DVD. Because they think GOYB IS opener quality? Lawlz.

I'm perfectly calm. I just don't understand why everyone has to bitch, or why they felt it necessary to cut it out of the Rose Bowl DVD. Because they think GOYB IS opener quality? Lawlz.

I agree, it's not opener material, but it got the crowd more pumped up than Breathe did and that's probably what they wanted to achieve on the DVD.

What's funny is that what you described as "opener qualities" is exactly what they do for Real Thing, except Adam and Edge switch places. Calm down, Real Thing is a much better opener that Breathe. Breathe is a fantastic song, but it did not kick off the show very well. Would have been better as the closer of the main set, I think.

Whereas Real Thing starts the show with a bang. Awesome music, even cooler light show, and it gets the crowd going - even if they don't all recognize the song, they can party to it. Plus, following it with The Fly, Mysterious Ways, and End of the World is like a one-two punch times, well, four. :angry:

Couldn't have said it better myself: I agree with this 100%. Normally, I'd *prefer* that they kick off the show with a song coming off the album they're trying to promote currently (NLOTH, in this case). But daaaaaaamn....EBTTRT is a hell of a way to kick off a show!!! It's surprisingly effective as an opener, plus it's also been 10+ years since they played that song live. A welcome return, imho!

Streets613: I agree with you that the beginning of Breathe was cool (and gave me goosebumps), where first Larry starts, then Adam and Edge come out, and then finally Bono. But the song as an opener overall...meh, soso :|

When I saw the show in Las Vegas (and even the Rose Bowl), U2 got a pretty lukewarm reaction after opening with Breathe. But after GOYB played, that's when the crowd really woke up and started getting into the show! GOYB may not be high quality material, but it does hype up a crowd effectively enough.

P.S. But I *do* agree that they shouldn't have cut it from the tracklisting on the blu-ray/dvd though! :applaud:

Couldn't have said it better myself: I agree with this 100%. Normally, I'd *prefer* that they kick off the show with a song coming off the album they're trying to promote currently (NLOTH, in this case). But daaaaaaamn....EBTTRT is a hell of a way to kick off a show!!! It's surprisingly effective as an opener, plus it's also been 10+ years since they played that song live. A welcome return, imho!:

Except that they're not promoting No Line On The Horizon anymore. The tour promotion of that album ended after the 2009 legs. Now it's just kind of a "Well we booked all these dates for the 360 tour, but ehhhh I'm done with No Line so let's just play all these better songs instead" Tour.

Except that they're not promoting No Line On The Horizon anymore. The tour promotion of that album ended after the 2009 legs. Now it's just kind of a "Well we booked all these dates for the 360 tour, but ehhhh I'm done with No Line so let's just play all these better songs instead" Tour.

I think that the best anyone has described the 360 tour. Well done.

I think that the best anyone has described the 360 tour. Well done.

Originally Posted by TheEdge25

I guess this is what I was trying to say. Greatest hits tour to coincide with the re release of a 20 year old album. (maybe they are trying to cover Spider Man costs.) Return of Stingray Guitar has yet to be played in USA.

And they do want to be highest grossing most attended touring act. Greatest hits fill stadiums

From Bono comments about playing b sides in an arena tour next that would be nice but would anyone put money on them playing more then 2 b side songs in a show? I recently saw the Decemberists and they had the balls to play every song from newest album THE KING IS DEAD mixed in their 2 hour show. (plus one band member is not touring due to fighting breast cancer. )Now that is what I would enjoy from the Richest ROCK AND ROLL BAND Take a risk, put your soul on the line and make us like the new songs, album and not ignore them. :doh:

It really does make them look like a nostalgia act, IMO.

:yes:

Add in Zooropa and the Batman song and the occasional Stay and it really is a nostalgia tour.

Too bad. At least 2009 and most of 2010 shows tried to have new songs in the setlist.

Yeah, what a shame the shows suck so bad, and no one enjoys them.

Seriously, though - what is the big damned deal? The tour clearly started out in support of their new album, and it's morphed from there for whatever variety of reasons. Yeah, I'm kind of sorry some of the songs were dropped, but it's not like they just decided to hit the road without a new album to support.

If their next tour is done without a new release, then I think the 'nostalgia act' is more appropriate, but again I'll be asking - is it really that big of a deal? I know they want to figure out how to stay relevant (or are trying to figure out what the hell that even means these days) and I hope they can figure it out to their satisfaction, but people talk about going to a U2 concert and hearing them play U2 songs from their long career is somehow a bad thing.

I don't get it. Especially when the shows are as good as they have been lately.

whocares.jpg

Damn who gives a shit about the nostalgia thing right now? I know it's important to stay relevant and all that shit but damn with the way the latest shows have been and after all that deal what with all the ATYCLB at the start of the tour I'd say this is one hell of an improvement! It's been said before, it's not like the new songs really work in a stadium environment anyway. NLOTH, Breathe, and GOYB work decently, it's a shame Breathe was dropped that was one of my favorite parts of the show and the same goes for NLOTH. Magnificent really kind of bored me to be honest and it's my favorite song off NLOTH. They never could match the studio version imo. It needs some sort of fire to it to make it work (now I haven't seen a video of the new dance-ier version yet due to not trying to ruin any surprises, so IDK if that made any improvement at all). So I've never gotten the big deal with everyone wanting a lot of new songs, they're better suited to an arena show, IMHO. I think the mass of Achtung is stunning and I really want to see it live. Everyone's been bitching about ATYCLB getting way too much love and how they should do more AB. Then just as soon as AB gets some love everyone starts bitching about that. WTF guys??? :|

Btw the 2009 & 2010 shows sucked big time compared to 2011.

The sets are much better now. Just chop out Elevation and Sunday Bloody Sunday and replace them with NLOTH and Breathe and they're perfect. And if they would play both HMTMKMKM and Ultraviolet (as if really they fill the same niche), that would make this the best set of their career, or at least very close. Stay, Bad and All I Want Is You making regular appearances is a fantastic recent addition.

Please tell me this isn't a photoshop.

Please tell me this isn't a photoshop.

No, it isn't. That's a text that was on the screens at their Glastonbury performance. The Fly, first verse, just before Bono sings "I'm telling you... child".

And yes, it's great.

*right-clicks and saves*

Oh man. If I don't get the Achtung onslaught on Tuesday, I'm going to bitch.

It'll be just like old times 2009!

2009's sets were good.

2011's sets are awesome.

:lmao:
I have a feeling this image is going to see a lot of use around here in the next few months. If only we had it for yesterday's "Is The Wanderer a snippet or a separate song?" debate...

I wish I could have seen an earlier show on this tour because I would have loved to experience more NLOTH songs live. But, hey, it's U2! I'm happy with whatever I am fortunate enough to be able to experience in person. No setlist complaints from me!

"They're just playing the wrong Achtung Baby."

This makes no sense. What is "the right Achtung Baby"? What do you expect them to play: Wild Horses, So Cruel, and Acrobat back-to-back-to-back? (I admit that would be kickass, but still) All of the best tunes on that album (save for Acrobat and LIB) are already being played. Real Thing is a killer opening song, followed by the madness of The Fly? Then throw in Mysterious Ways and End of the World and you got everyone in the stadium creaming in their pants and the band has barely even started the show.

Let's quit bitching about them playing too much of their best album, because on the next few tours, they probably won't play as much. This is probably the last major run through of Achtung stuff. Future tours will probably only feature One, Mysterious Ways, and possibly End Of The World/Fly.

:heart::heart::heart:

That Nashville setlist is probably the best of the tour, and one of their best ever.

:yes:

Add in Zooropa and the Batman song and the occasional Stay and it really is a nostalgia tour.

Too bad. At least 2009 and most of 2010 shows tried to have new songs in the setlist.

You are just the worst :down:

This thread in a nutshell:

Why is there so much AB?

I don't know; it seems excessive.

What?! Stop bitching! How dare you!!!!!!!!!1 Begone, blasphemers! :madwife:

Strong feelings? Yeah.

1.) Remaster

2.)It's way too good not to be featured heavily each tour...It really is nothing new, all tours since Zoo TV have had more than their share of Achtung. Zoo Station, The Fly, MW, Until The End.., One, Wild Horses, even LIB were featured on Vertigo. Elevation had Fly, MW, One, End of The World, Wild Horses snippets, the list goes on.

Just look at the representation of AB since its release as compared to JT. Says a hell of a lot about what U2 think of this album.

3.)AB is a much, much better album than the very good but not great ATYCLB. The songs work extremely well live, especially so in a stadium. They're finally getting it right now.

The only little annoyance I have with the AB fest that is 360 2011 is that War and JT, their other 2 masterpieces(IMHO) don't get more play.

According to Adam Clayton in an interview, they just got sick of beating ppl on the heads with songs they didn't get/appreciate (ie. the NLOTH songs), which is why they pulled out most of them.

It *does* suck (especially since NLOTH is such a *great* album)...but having already seen two shows from 2009, I'm fine with it.

For those who haven't and are complaining about it now, that's what the Rose Bowl DVD/Blu-ray is for. It's not live in person...but whatever, it at least gives you a good idea of how it was.

Now if they'll only release a DVD/Blu-Ray of these "Achtung Baby 2011" shows...:cute:

I just watched the intro to Glastonbury....then watched the Sydney Zoo concert. Holy crap...fucking amazing! Not only was AB and that tour the greatest thing I've ever heard in music, it rivalled the invention of sliced bread. And I love bread and anything connected to it. Now mind you, this is my personal opinion. :hyper:

Yeah, what a shame the shows suck so bad, and no one enjoys them.

Seriously, though - what is the big damned deal? The tour clearly started out in support of their new album, and it's morphed from there for whatever variety of reasons. Yeah, I'm kind of sorry some of the songs were dropped, but it's not like they just decided to hit the road without a new album to support.

If their next tour is done without a new release, then I think the 'nostalgia act' is more appropriate, but again I'll be asking - is it really that big of a deal? I know they want to figure out how to stay relevant (or are trying to figure out what the hell that even means these days) and I hope they can figure it out to their satisfaction, but people talk about going to a U2 concert and hearing them play U2 songs from their long career is somehow a bad thing.

I don't get it. Especially when the shows are as good as they have been lately.

To be fair, I can understand ppl's frustration: this isn't like the Rolling Stones where they're putting out a shitty new album just for an excuse to start a new tour, and then relying on their backlog of past hits to sell out their shows.

This is fucking U2 man: the *best* damned band ever...who are just as relevant now as back in the 90s (or even 80s) and are still putting out high quality material even today.

I *love* NLOTH: for a band like U2 to put out an album of such high calibur after 30+ years just blows my mind (it easily ranks up there with Achtung and Joshua, imho). NLOTH *does* deserve more time in the spotlight than it really got, and I definately acknowledge that.

Is it such a bad thing that U2's playing mainly hits from Achtung Baby these days? No. But with U2 still putting out the quality of work that they do right now, they shouldn't necessarily have to either.

That Nashville setlist is probably the best of the tour, and one of their best ever.

I couldn't agree more. They nailed it, hit it out of the park, homerun, touchdown, superbowl, etc etc etc.

Word on the street after the show saturday night was basically "u2 are legends, the concert was amazing". We ran into people downtown after the show who may/may not have been to other u2 shows and said the same thing. Also ran into some folks who didnt go to the show but said they had heard from friends that it was AMAZING.

Back
Top Bottom