Y so Much Achtung

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badu2fan

The Fly
After reading that u2 are going to re release Achtung it now makes sense why usa 2 tour is featuring so much. Guess trying to promote the next venture vs letting us into the new songs....... Greatest hits greatest promotions......

Would prefer new songs IMO

:hmm:

Holy crap. Wait. No. Not even gonna bother.

I love that they're doing the AB songs, it's still their best album IMO, and the songs rock live. I've never heard The FLy or EBTTRT so I will love hearing them live.

:ohmy: . . . I'm really enjoying the Achtung moments and I'd almost understand your reaction if they were still touring the NLOTH album . . . almost :shrug: . . . celebrating some of their finest musical moments seems like a fantastic way to refresh a tour that has been running for a while now :)

yes, I wouldn't have minded a little fly action . . . I'm not complaining at all though . . . still get that stupid goofy girl grin on my mug when I think about the two shows I was lucky enough to see :love:

and from the little I have actually heard of the achtung stuff, the band are really giving it their all . . . they are not phoning those songs in :)

yunomeme.jpg

yunomeme2.jpg

I love that they are playing lots of good 90's stuff, I'm so happy I got to see Zooropa live. We would never have predicted that they would pull out a song like that before the tour started. :drool:

I do find it funny though that all these posts about how people should stop complaining about too much of 1 album never showed up when all the usual people kept on bitching every show about too many ATYCLB songs in the setlist.

We went from the No Line songs don't work, to too much ATYCLB, to too much Achtung Baby*.

Full circle for the tour. Well done, interference, well done.

*-there's no such thing as too much Achtung Baby.

Not playing enough Achtung I reckon. Only 5 from the album, where are the other 7 that they could play for fucks sake! In fact they should play the whole album!

As if too much Achtung is a bad thing? :sexywink:

Lol..., I'm glad I saw the earlier shows in 2009 where they had a good dose of NLOTH songs (because it *is* a good album, and I wanted to hear how the songs played out live).

But at the same time, it's been great having this sort of Zoo TV 2011 type of thing going on lately! And it has to be said: Breathe vs. Even Better than the Real Thing as the opener? EBTTRT, no contest man!!! :applaud:

Really? Might've been a snippet, most likely. Snippets are about as close as we're going to get in terms of Pop representation on this tour.

Off to YouTube...

Yeah...it was a snippet (was *really* good though, totally fit in with the "Crazy" remix)!

Since I'm fairly new to U2 concerts (became a fan in 1997, super fan in 2001 but didn't see them live til 11 shows on the Vertigo tour) I'm more than thrilled with the Acthung Baby tour they're doing right now. I cannot wait to hear this stuff live in a few weeks. I got the Fly on the Vertigo tour but I'm looking forward to hearing it again. I honestly don't care what they play live because I freaking love this band more than anything. If they want to play half of a 20 year old album and only 3 songs off of a 2 year old album, fine with me. :heart: I'm old enough to say that I could have easily seen them during the Joshua Tree tour and certainly during Zoo TV but my unfortunately my musical tastes back then were for a different sound. I think it's great that I can sort of live in the past just a little bit by them playing these songs now.

I agree with Purplereign---Glad that they played NLOTH songs in '09, and psyched to see the setlist now....and happily fortunate to have gotten to see both US legs and get a taste of each. For the record, my 2011 show experience >>> 2009 shows.

To me, NLOTH only has four songs that are stadium-worthy: NLOTH, Magnificent, Boots, and Breathe. The problems are that 1). They never released NLOTH like they should have, so half the stadium doesn't know it, 2). Magnificent needs to be tweaked to somehow make it like ZooTV Mysterious Ways to make it magical, 3). Boots is fine live, but doesn't live up to Vertigo (which is still in the setlist and thus makes Boots pointless), and 4). Breathe is in its own WTF world--it works fine, but what the hell is it? Crazy Tonight had to be radically changed to make it listenable, and the songs that make the album unique (UC & Fez/BB) are more suited to arenas where the experience is closer to the band.

Magnificent should definately be in there (as it's *arguably* the best song on NLOTH, along with Moment of Surrender).

I think they dropped it for one or two concerts, and had the good sense to bring it back: good call! :cool:

charmer_ said:
Magnificent should definately be in there (as it's *arguably* the best song on NLOTH, along with Moment of Surrender).

I think they dropped it for one or two concerts, and had the good sense to bring it back: good call! :cool:

I think Magnificent has the potential to be the best on there, but they didn't quite hit it. It really needs to be like MW somehow.....it needs some sort of change in mood somewhere in the song. It's good but it's the same throughout the whole thing, which is kind of like your 24th bite of a giant chocolate chip cookie. Put a damn macadamia nut in there and add some texture! :madwife: :wink:

1). They never released NLOTH like they should have, so half the stadium doesn't know it

I think it has alot to do with the way they released the first single "Boots": not alot of people got the song (let along the video) and it just went over ppl's heads. But it *does* kick-ass live though! :)

2). Magnificent needs to be tweaked to somehow make it like ZooTV Mysterious Ways to make it magical

They *have* been trying to tweak it (ie. it's alot different now, than it was when they played it in 2009). But for whatever reason, they haven't found a kick-ass way to play it live yet. Mysterious Ways is alot more funky and joyful than Magnificent is as well.

Boots is fine live, but doesn't live up to Vertigo

and

Breathe is in its own WTF world--it works fine, but what the hell is it? ...

I disagree with the "Boots" statement totally: it might not be quite a good as Vertigo live, but it comes pretty damned close!

For the 2009 tours, they should have opened with Boots rather than Breathe instead. Breathe is a decent (and good) song, but its no opener!

Out of all their opening tour songs (ie. Zoo Station, Mofo, Elevation, etc.), Breathe *easily* ranks last. "Even Better" kicks off the show the right way: by kicking the audience's ass right off the bat! :D

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing that many AB songs, but it would be better to mix them in than to play them in a row at the beginning like that. It really does make them look like a nostalgia act, IMO. But no way am I complaining about them playing EBTTRT!

They're just playing the wrong Achtung Baby. Like, why the Fvck would you ever even consider for a moment, even half-jokingly, dropping Ultraviolet, and if you're gonna go all out Achtung, at least play Love is Blindness or throw a courveball and hit up that Acrobat. I don't understand why everyone is soiling their obnoxiously unflattering leather pants over Even Better Than the Real Thing. The only thing about the way the setlist has evolved that is worth figurative bodily secretion is the inexplicably overlooked addition of Miss Sarajevo, and Bono's horrible attempt at Italian that is acceptable only because of the way he operatically runs sh1t.

Oh, and Breathe was a great opener. EBTTRT does not possess any opener characteristics. Just because it is an infinitly better song tha Breathe does not make it more qualified to be the opener. Like, Larry comes out, beats the sh1t out of the drums, then Adam comes out and doesn't contribite for the next 2-2 1/2 hours, then Edge does his little feedback thing and generic power chord riff, then Bono comes out and does that thing where he vigorously pulls on the mic stand. What is wrong with that?

Oh, and Breathe was a great opener. EBTTRT does not possess any opener characteristics. Just because it is an infinitly better song tha Breathe does not make it more qualified to be the opener. Like, Larry comes out, beats the sh1t out of the drums, then Adam comes out and doesn't contribite for the next 2-2 1/2 hours, then Edge does his little feedback thing and generic power chord riff, then Bono comes out and does that thing where he vigorously pulls on the mic stand. What is wrong with that?

What's funny is that what you described as "opener qualities" is exactly what they do for Real Thing, except Adam and Edge switch places. Calm down, Real Thing is a much better opener that Breathe. Breathe is a fantastic song, but it did not kick off the show very well. Would have been better as the closer of the main set, I think.

Whereas Real Thing starts the show with a bang. Awesome music, even cooler light show, and it gets the crowd going - even if they don't all recognize the song, they can party to it. Plus, following it with The Fly, Mysterious Ways, and End of the World is like a one-two punch times, well, four.

This thread is blasphemy and should be deleted. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom