Why no VMA's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Unless they plan on making a surprise, unannounced appearance in some sort of colaboration... U2 won't be at tonight's VMA's, despite being nominated for multiple "Moonmen."

I'm a little surprised... we know how much the band loves Miami, where the show is taking place, and it would be great way to show off either City of Blinding Lights to give that a little boost in sales, or even debut Original of the Species to give it a bump before they release it as their next single, leading right into the third leg of the tour... esp. with all the rumors floating of a return to stadiums next year.

:shrug: just surprises me that they'd pass on such a good chance at some free publicity.

maybe edge has decided to spend some more time with his daughter before returning on the road?

also how come the video for sometimes wasnt nominated? surley that has to be one of U2's finest videos to date imo

They are listed in the mtv.com line-upas a featured band...if you go to the schedule:scratch:

Do you have a link to the schedule?
The website has nothing on the page for the vmas.

I doubt very much that if the band has read the bashing of the vertigo tour so far buy their own fans on many forums..(including on this one),they would find little motivation go on MTV tonight...and for for what?... Being accuse of selling out???..buy those same fans??

But that being said,yes it would have been nice to see them go there and perform "Original of the species" since it's suppose to be the next single in the fall.

...And a very good song,i might add...

I would have been happy to see them just be there. I think if they were going it would have been advertised.

I know it means nothing, but I still would be happy to see them win something.

edited to say: I have this terrible feeling that this show will be painful to watch.:|

Last edited:
Cigar said:
I doubt very much that if the band has read the bashing of the vertigo tour so far buy their own fans on many forums..(including on this one),they would find little motivation go on MTV tonight...and for for what?... Being accuse of selling out???..buy those same fans??

But that being said,yes it would have been nice to see them go there and perform "Original of the species" since it's suppose to be the next single in the fall.

...And a very good song,i might add...
from what i have heard there was the same amount of bashing during the elevation tour, so i wouldnt worry

Cnn reports that Suge Knight was shot in Miami at a party. :|
I predict there will be some melodrama moments this evening as well as hyped up shout outs.

U2dork said:
Cnn reports that Suge Knight was shot in Miami at a party. :|
I predict there will be some melodrama moments this evening as well as hyped up shout outs.

hmm, well now maybe i will watch

MTV said u2 will be there. I swear that's was said this am. I don't know if they will be playing, though.

Val said:
MTV said u2 will be there. I swear that's was said this am. I don't know if they will be playing, though.

Shit, between this and Suge knight, now I'll probably have to watch.

What time does the red carpet start.:|

they're on a break, like ross and rachel from friends.

MTV awards don't have the same punch that they used to. I can't stand to watch that show anymore.

Val said:

I just looked at the flash-generated list of of featured people(presenters, preformers, host, etc), and U2 was not on it.

I am only telling you what the announcer said. He was mentioning who would be there and U2 was the last name he said before it went to a commercial. I haven't heard anything more since . I just don't know what to think.
Maybe they don't know either.

Not that I'm surprised, but if U2 was attenting, wouldn't U2.com post something like, "U2, Miami, Tonight" to drum up excitement from fans? I dunno. I guess I don't blame them for not showing up - maybe they were told ahead of time that they didn't win their categories (like alot of award shows tell nominees)?

HelloAngel said:
Not that I'm surprised, but if U2 was attenting, wouldn't U2.com post something like, "U2, Miami, Tonight" to drum up excitement from fans? I dunno. I guess I don't blame them for not showing up - maybe they were told ahead of time that they didn't win their categories (like alot of award shows tell nominees)?
i dunno. got a feeling they will win at least 1

HelloAngel said:

True, but how come the TV announcer mentioned U2?

Are they presenting one of the awards?

hero said:
mtv.com /onair/schedule /mtv/daily .jhtml

minus spaces

I think U2's included on those lists because it's nominated not because the band is going to appear. Looking through the "Scheduled to Appear" section of the VMA page, U2 isn't included.

Damn, I really don't want to sit through the show hoping they'll be on it's too painful. Although, they play it again right after the live show so we won't have to :hyper:

Maybe U2 decided to skip the annual trainwreck that the VMAs have become and enjoy the rest of their vacation before going back on tour. I can't say I blame them.

Back
Top Bottom