US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1-Casual drug users will have a claim that drugs should be legalized ,or may feel they shouldn't be arrested because Obama used drugs in the past
The fact that the conservatives get an errection over locking people up for making choices about what they put in their bodies is enough of a case, punish dealers not users.

Zogby: Hillary Defeatable by 5 GOP Frontrunners
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

All five of the leading Republican presidential candidates — including John McCain — would beat Democrat Hillary Clinton in a head-to-head match-up, according to a surprising new poll from Zogby International.

But Barack Obama outpolled all five GOP hopefuls — Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, Mike Huckabee, and McCain.

The national poll of nearly 10,000 people — about equally divided between Democrats and Republicans, with about one-quarter independents — is more bad news for longtime front-runner Clinton. It shows that she’s slipping not only in Iowa and several other early caucus or primary states, but across the country as well.

And it appears to confirm the fears of many Democratic stalwarts that candidate Hillary does not offer the party its best chance to win the White House.

Asked whom they would choose in a race between Giuliani and Clinton, 43 percent of respondents said Giuliani and 39.4 percent chose Clinton, with 14.6 percent opting for “someone else” and 3 percent selecting “will not vote/not sure.”

Romney outpolled Clinton by a margin of 43.1 percent to 39.9 percent; Thompson beat out Hillary by a similar margin, 43.2 percent to 39.6 percent; and Mike Huckabee bested Clinton by a solid margin of 44.3 percent to 38.5 percent.

McCain, who trailed Clinton 45 percent to 43 percent in a July Zogby poll, has pulled ahead of the Democrat in the new poll, winning 42.1 of the vote compared to Clinton’s 37.6 percent.

But when the GOP hopefuls are matched up against Obama, the Illinois Democrat beats Giuliani by a margin of 46 percent to 40 percent, Romney (45.8 percent to 39.9 percent), Thompson (46.4 percent to 39.9 percent), Huckabee (45.8 percent to 39.6 percent), and McCain (44.8 percent to 38.2 percent.

Another bad sign for Hillary: John Edwards, who runs third in the polls behind Clinton and Obama, also outpolled all five leading Republicans, although by smaller margins than Obama.

© 2007 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

meltingWickedWitch.jpg

It seems pretty clear that the most electable candidate for the Dems is Barack Obama.

He'll absolutely smoke any of the GOP candidates.

diamond said:

Alright then. I guess there's a point there and I just missed it.

phillyfan26 said:

He'll absolutely smoke any of the GOP candidates.

No, I'm pretty sure he wouldnt. The days of close presidential elections and Reagen or Clinton landslides are over, at least for quite a while. The country is simply too divided right now. No matter who the nominees are, it will be a very close race.

2861U2 said:
No, I'm pretty sure he wouldnt. The days of close presidential elections and Reagen or Clinton landslides are over, at least for quite a while. The country is simply too divided right now. No matter who the nominees are, it will be a very close race.

I think the country is very eager to turn it over to a different party, providing there's a good candidate. People are sick of Bush.

phillyfan26 said:

I think the country is very eager to turn it over to a different party, providing there's a good candidate. People are sick of Bush.

They were also eager last fall and elected a completely incompetent Congress, which I think may be a blessing in disguise for the GOP. Hopefully America will look at who they elected last fall and realize the total lack of leadership or accomplishment, and decide they don't want that in the White House.

Who's fault for the most part is it that things couldn't get accomplished?

The resisting GOP congressmen and the man vetoing the bills.

And they know that.

2861U2 said:
Hopefully America will look at who they elected last fall and realize the total lack of leadership or accomplishment, and decide they don't want that in the White House.

Change "last fall" to 2004 or 2000, and that's how I feel about the Republican party (as the candidates for this election are pretty much just going to follow in Bush's footsteps for the most part). I agree that people have been frustrated with the Democratic Congress, you're right about that...but phillyfan26 is right, it's not entirely their fault that they haven't gotten things done, and while we're frustrated with the Democrats, we're completely pissed off at and sick to death of the Bush administration and those who follow their line of thinking. And I'd rather be frustrated than completely pissed off, personally.

Angela

I'm supporting Edwards because he is more electable than Hillary is. Now, as it turns out, Obama is also more electable than Hillary is. Both of them are doing very well in Iowa, thank you very much. Yeah, people are sick of Bush. They want the Democrats back in the White House.

boston.com

By Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor November 27, 07

A New York financier calls for a Muslim to be appointed to the next president's Cabinet and relates an interesting reply when he put that issue to Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.

Mansoor Ijaz, who describes himself as an American-born Muslim whose family came from Pakistan, writes in an opinion piece in today's Christian Science Monitor that he attended a private fund-raiser this month for Romney in Las Vegas. Ijaz says he asked Romney whether he would consider a Muslim for a national security post in his Cabinet, since he says radical jihad is the biggest threat facing America.

According to Ijaz, Romney said that based on the proportion of Muslims in the US population, a Cabinet post would not be "justified," though he could "imagine" Muslims serving in lower-level jobs in his administration.

"Romney, whose Mormon faith has become the subject of heated debate in Republican caucuses, wants America to be blind to his religious beliefs and judge him on merit instead," Ijaz writes. "Yet he seems to accept excluding Muslims because of their religion, claiming they're too much of a minority for a post in high-level policymaking. More ironic, that Islamic heritage is what qualifies them to best engage America's Arab and Muslim communities and to help deter Islamist threats."

Romney, interviewed Monday on CNN, was asked about diversity in his inner circle and in appointments.

"Suggesting that we have to fill spots based on checking off boxes of various ethnic groups is really a very inappropriate way to think about we staff positions," he said.

"I'm very pleased that, among my Cabinet members [as Massachusetts governor], for instance, I had several African-American individuals. I had people of different backgrounds. But I don't go in every circumstance I'm in and say, 'OK, how many African-Americans, how many Hispanic-Americans, how many Asian-Americans,' and fill boxes that way.

"I fill responsibilities based upon people's merit and their skill. And, sometimes, it includes many ethnic minorities. And other times, it includes different minorities. But I'm very pleased with my record."

MrsSpringsteen said:
boston.com
based on the proportion of Muslims in the US population, a Cabinet post would not be "justified,"

"I fill responsibilities based upon people's merit and their skill.

Little contradiction here I would say. On the one hand he says there is no top-level position for Muslims available, only lower level, and on the other hand he goes by merit and skill.

politico.com

Six weeks out from the first round of presidential voting, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton gets better ratings than Illinois Sen. Barack Obama among African-American voters — a crucial voting bloc in Democratic politics — a new poll shows.

The survey of 750 African-Americans, conducted from Oct. 5 to Nov. 2 and released Tuesday by The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, found Clinton was rated favorably by 83 percent of respondents, with 9.7 percent perceiving her negatively.

Obama, meanwhile, garnered favorable ratings of 74.4 percent, with 10.1 percent viewing him negatively.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina was rated favorably by 45.1 percent of respondents, while 19.1 percent rated him unfavorably, according to the poll, which was sponsored by AARP.

The results offer a glimpse into the views of members among one of the most important Democratic constituencies.

But it covers a national audience rather than targeting individual states.

In Iowa, home of the Jan. 3 first-in-the-nation caucuses, the population is only about 2.1 percent black, according to 2006 Census figures.

In New Hampshire, home to the nation’s kickoff primary, on Jan. 8, it’s a miniscule 0.7 percent.

The picture changes considerably in South Carolina, which, with its Jan. 19 primary, could play a pivotal role in the Democratic nomination fight. The Palmetto State population is 29.4 percent African-American.

Twenty-eight percent of respondents to the poll cited the Iraq war as the top problem facing the country, followed by health care (20 percent), jobs and the economy (15 percent) and education (10 percent).

“What might be called signature issues of the Republican Party — taxes, terrorism, immigration and moral values — are just not resonating with African-American voters,” said David Bositis, senior research associate at the Joint Center.

“Not only are African-Americans not raising these issues when given the chance, but when pressed on which party has the better approach to them, they are clearly favoring the Democrats.”

MrsSpringsteen said:
boston.com

By Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor November 27, 07

A New York financier calls for a Muslim to be appointed to the next president's Cabinet and relates an interesting reply when he put that issue to Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.

Mansoor Ijaz, who describes himself as an American-born Muslim whose family came from Pakistan, writes in an opinion piece in today's Christian Science Monitor that he attended a private fund-raiser this month for Romney in Las Vegas. Ijaz says he asked Romney whether he would consider a Muslim for a national security post in his Cabinet, since he says radical jihad is the biggest threat facing America.

According to Ijaz, Romney said that based on the proportion of Muslims in the US population, a Cabinet post would not be "justified," though he could "imagine" Muslims serving in lower-level jobs in his administration.

"Romney, whose Mormon faith has become the subject of heated debate in Republican caucuses, wants America to be blind to his religious beliefs and judge him on merit instead," Ijaz writes. "Yet he seems to accept excluding Muslims because of their religion, claiming they're too much of a minority for a post in high-level policymaking. More ironic, that Islamic heritage is what qualifies them to best engage America's Arab and Muslim communities and to help deter Islamist threats."

Romney, interviewed Monday on CNN, was asked about diversity in his inner circle and in appointments.

"Suggesting that we have to fill spots based on checking off boxes of various ethnic groups is really a very inappropriate way to think about we staff positions," he said.

"I'm very pleased that, among my Cabinet members [as Massachusetts governor], for instance, I had several African-American individuals. I had people of different backgrounds. But I don't go in every circumstance I'm in and say, 'OK, how many African-Americans, how many Hispanic-Americans, how many Asian-Americans,' and fill boxes that way.

"I fill responsibilities based upon people's merit and their skill. And, sometimes, it includes many ethnic minorities. And other times, it includes different minorities. But I'm very pleased with my record."

I would love to see a conservative or a Romney supporter defend this. I would LOVE it.

No kidding.

Good lord, I don't understand what is so difficult about this. I don't care what religion you are, or if you aren't religious at all. All I care about is that you have the qualifications necessary to do the job and that you're fair and just in everything you do. Muslim, Mormon, Catholic, atheist...I. Don't. Care.

Angela

phillyfan26 said:

I would love to see a conservative or a Romney supporter defend this. I would LOVE it.

Well I don't think we'll have to wait too long

Tonight is the Republican YouTube debate on CNN, that ought to be entertaining.

Pressed to explain his statement later in the day, Romney said it had been taken out of context.

"His question was did I need to have a Muslim in my Cabinet to be able to confront radical Jihad and would it be important to have a Muslim in my Cabinet," said Romney. "And I said, 'No, I don't think that you have to have a Muslim in the Cabinet to be able to take on radical Jihad anymore than during the Second World War we needed to have a Japanese-American to understand the threat that was coming from Japan or something of that nature.' I just rejected that argument..."

Reached by phone, Ijaz scoffed at such an interpretation of what transpired.

"I can tell you," he said, "that Romney's push back, meaning his statement about the Japanese is all bullshit. He never talked about the Japanese at that point. Everything he said today is simply trying to reconfigure this item, which is he doesn't feel there is a need to put people of Islamic faith into his cabinet."

Moreover, he added, this is not the first time the Massachusetts Republican has made off-the-cuff remarks that Muslims have found insensitive. Indeed, as reported by Talking Points Memo, Romney rejected the idea of appointing a Muslim to a high-ranking White House position at an earlier and, again, private campaign stop.

Irma Aguirre, the former finance director for the Nevada Republican Party, told the Huffington Post about her experience at a Romney fundraiser roughly two months ago:

"I was curious to listen to Romney, I was very impressed by him and I'm kind of undecided about whom to support. Well, at one point, they opened questions to the audience and a gentleman who was with me... raised his hand and posed a question. 'Being that Muslims do not really trust America's leaders, do you think it would be prudent, or would you consider having a Muslim in your cabinet as an adviser to lend credibility to the administration? His response was 'probably not' or 'most likely not.'"

According to Aguirre, Romney pivoted from the question into a discussion on the dangers jihadism posed to America.

"I was shocked and disgusted," she recounted. I felt like "he was assuming that all Muslims were jihadists. And later, I just kind of looked at a friend of mine who is a huge Mitt Romney supporter, she asked me, 'Isn't he great?' and I said, 'absolutely not.'"

Romney's campaign did not respond by time of publication.

Last edited:
it's been very interesting.

does anyone else think that McCain is the only adult in the room?

maybe Ron Paul, but in a wacky, Kucinich kind of way.

I really like McCain in this debate thus far. I wish he did better in the polls.

I'm glad to see Rudy and Mike double-teaming Romney.

Irvine511 said:
it's been very interesting.

does anyone else think that McCain is the only adult in the room?

maybe Ron Paul, but in a wacky, Kucinich kind of way.

McCain, much as I've disagreed with some of his stuff over the years, makes more sense than most of the other candidates. So does Ron Paul-you're right, he's the Republican equivalent of Kucinich. I trust those two more than any of the other people on that stage.

I'm just catching this now, missed most of the first hour...anything big worth noting so far?

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

I'm just catching this now, missed most of the first hour...anything big worth noting so far?

Angela

A couple heated tiffs between Rudy/Romney and McCain/Paul. Other than those two moments, it's same old, same old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom