US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
I watched and he really impressed me, I hope more take part in this forum...

Definitely! I'd love to see as many candidates as possible from both sides of the spectrum taking part in these. If a candidate is not taking young people seriously, that's career suicide on there part. It's the only way to help those around my age that are apathetic to get involved in shaping this country for the future as we begin to inheirit it. I'd love to see how other candidates will deal with questions from students like those who took part tonight. It's not easy, so those who can hold their own will be hard to come by, I think.

Well Republicans have continuously ignored the young, that's why I find it hard that there are so many young Republicans that come in here every once in awhile...

But on the other hand Republicans have been right in the last few elections, young voters haven't been the threat that many hoped they would be. Since the 90's and the creation of 'Rock the Vote' young voters have increased but not nearly to the amount that it should be. When young voters actually start to turn out the way they register, the Republicans will be screwed for several terms because they won't know how to relate to them due to decades of ignoring them.

So the Democratic debate is tomorrow in Philly.

Drexel's a tiny college to host a debate.

Too true. We young people are the ones who will be next in line to run things, the politicians might want to start paying attention to what we have to say. Course, that means that we have to have the guts to speak out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning authority (note: this does not automatically mean you disobey authority, it just means that you deserve the right to know why they do what they do), and I think that's something young people need to be reminded of often.

I sadly did not get a chance to see Obama on that forum thing. But if it's on MySpace and such, I assume that means I'll have another chance to catch it? If so, I will certainly do so.

Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well Republicans have continuously ignored the young, that's why I find it hard that there are so many young Republicans that come in here every once in awhile...

But on the other hand Republicans have been right in the last few elections, young voters haven't been the threat that many hoped they would be. Since the 90's and the creation of 'Rock the Vote' young voters have increased but not nearly to the amount that it should be. When young voters actually start to turn out the way they register, the Republicans will be screwed for several terms because they won't know how to relate to them due to decades of ignoring them.

I couldn't agree more.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Too true. We young people are the ones who will be next in line to run things, the politicians might want to start paying attention to what we have to say. Course, that means that we have to have the guts to speak out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning authority (note: this does not automatically mean you disobey authority, it just means that you deserve the right to know why they do what they do), and I think that's something young people need to be reminded of often.

I sadly did not get a chance to see Obama on that forum thing. But if it's on MySpace and such, I assume that means I'll have another chance to catch it? If so, I will certainly do so.

Angela

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1572958&vid=185110

This will take you to the beginning of the debate, and you can watch the whole thing there. Also, I agree with everything you said here. I'd expound, but there's no way I could say it any better.

Vote early, vote often :wink:

While this year is an off year for most states Virginia holds it's local elections. There aren't any interesting races in my district back home but here where my school is is what is regarded as the most important race in the commonwealth.

Wow that was worded horribly but its almost 1am so that's my excuse :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah, Republicans do ignore the young. I guess they figure that's not where they're going to get their votes, but it's wrong to ignore them.

:hug: to martha :). And yay for other people voting, too. I just figure I'll be damned if I'm gonna let these politicians walk all over me and other people. We have voices, so let's use them.

U2isthebest said:
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1572958&vid=185110

This will take you to the beginning of the debate, and you can watch the whole thing there. Also, I agree with everything you said here. I'd expound, but there's no way I could say it any better.

Missed this post last night, I'm sorry-much thanks for that link, I will be sure to check it out. And thanks for the compliment as well, glad you agree.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
:hug: to martha :). And yay for other people voting, too. I just figure I'll be damned if I'm gonna let these politicians walk all over me and other people. We have voices, so let's use them.

Missed this post last night, I'm sorry-much thanks for that link, I will be sure to check it out. And thanks for the compliment as well, glad you agree.

Angela

No problem!!:D

Tell your friend who you think they should vote for and why you feel that way. Influencing several votes can mean a lot!

jay canseco said:
Tell your friend who you think they should vote for and why you feel that way. Influencing several votes can mean a lot!

Exactly! And hey, just 'cause some can't vote doesn't mean they can't write letters to presidential candidates or go to a rally or something when they come through town. There's still plenty of ways to interact with politicians aside from voting.

That said, I'm really thankful to have been born in October :D. 2004 was my first time voting in a presidential race.

Just watched that thing with Obama, by the way. He sounds very sincere, and I really like that. He sounds very believable and convincing. And I liked his thoughts, too-it was nice to actually hear a reasonable solution to the immigration issue for once, for instance. And any president that pushes for diplomacy as a means to deal with problems definitely gets some points with me (way to sneak the AIDS in Africa crisis in there, too). The crowd asked some great questions as well. Good stuff. Thanks again for that.

Angela

This will be my first presidential election. I'm pretty excited. I voted in the midterms last year, but that didn't go so well...

I'm just watching because Brian Williams is purty.

...and Joe Biden has had some of the best lines :D

"A noun, a verb, and 9-11" (referring to all that comes out of Giuliani's mouth) :lol:

i had this dream last night where i was in NYC and i saw brian williams! he asked if i wanted a picture and i said sure. then when i got back to the hotel and uploaded the pics to my computer i saw that it was totally not him but some impersonator who didn't really look like him at all. :grumpy:

unico said:
this is not a debate :angry:
this is a "let's take turns talking to clinton"

I got through maybe the first 45 minutes before I was done.

It's supposed to be a debate ideally, but the reality is that the other candidates are going to spend that time picking apart the person who most likely is going to win the nomination.

I'll pay closer attention to one of these when that's no longer the case. I'll be waiting awhile, methinks.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I got through maybe the first 45 minutes before I was done.

It's supposed to be a debate ideally, but the reality is that the other candidates are going to spend that time picking apart the person who most likely is going to win the nomination.

I'll pay closer attention to one of these when that's no longer the case. I'll be waiting awhile, methinks.

maybe then they'll actually discuss the issues!! :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom