unkown caller gone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they play Bad again Bono will probably snippet all ATYCLB songs that aren't played in it. Now that would be epic!!!

There past the ATYCLB songs, they were epic back in the elevation days, now stuck in a momment, walk on, beautiful day sound weak, play more NLOTH!

It could be worse, I guess... they could have put a bunch of Bomb songs in there.

If you read the Rolling Stone interview the band is worried due to the low album sales under a million and no one knowing new songs....... Unkown is booted.......

Blue room was as experimental as we get and they drop it possibly as it doesnt make crowd happy.....

so is this turing into greatest hits tour?

U2 seem to forget it's 2009 now, not 2001. More than 2-3 ATYCLB songs in one setlist is just unnecessary now. The Elevation Tour has been and gone.

I'm disappointed Unknown Caller is now clearly being regarded as expendable, but the band kind of made it so. It somewhat lost its home in the setlist as soon as it was split from UF. Really don't see why they did that; it would be much better in 11th before UF rather than some rubbishy acoustic Stuck that's a good few years past its use-by date.

I just posted the following over in the full album sequence thread. Thought you might like it, Ax!:

We should not be talking about this in hypothetical terms. U2 has already decided on playing full album sequences:

All of ATYCLB is played every single night on this tour, and for no explainable reason at all! (>>Correction>> It just feels like all of it, might as well be.)

There is no reason that a 10 yr old album that was supported by a VERY low key arena tour with Bono's voice consistently off should be taking up this amount of spots in the setlist of a massive stadium tour with the biggest stage ever assembled supporting an album that is completely different sonically, lyrically and in overall mood. This is becoming my only gripe with the 360 setlist.

Its not just personal taste, either, many who have gone to shows have commented on the awkwardness of so many slower/mid tempo ATYCLB songs in the setlist. It just does not fit the claw. Wire, Exit, full band Desire, Even Better..., full band Stay, Dirty Day, HMTMKMKM, Zooropa, Lemon, The Fly, Discoteque, MOFO and Last Night on Earth would fit the claw perfectly.

Songs like 2 Hearts Beat as One, Trip through your Wire, In God's Country, Running to Standstill, Love Rescue Me, Hawkmoon, Love is Blindness and Wild Horses would provide a welcome change to the barrage of ATYCLB songs we are getting on a nightly basis. Not that ATYCLB isn't good, but these are simply better. The live history has proven as much. And U2 should never forget that the OCCASIONAL Out of Control and I Will Follow is still very welcome.

ATYCLB was well received granted, but it has not aged well among the fan base and I don't know of anyone, fan or one of the band members who would argue for it over War, UF, JT or AB, all albums that have been almost neglected when compared with ATYCLB. Bomb is in my opinion much better(its not JT, AB or NLOTH of course) and more recent, and it gets COBL and Vertigo only. This just baffles me.

I do not have the same opinion as the majority of this forum on Atty club. I think its a great album, and moreover, its the album U2 should have made at that time. We have been through its shortcomings so many times, I won't go into it again. BD, Kite and Walk On are the highest of the high points on this album, and U2 is about done with Kite as far as I can tell. So there you have it... on 360, you play BD because of its greatest hit status, Walk On because its part of the message this tour(and rightfully so, IMHO) and it is equal to its 2000's counterpart, Bomb in terms of # of songs played. That is all 360 needs to hear from this album.

It is becoming such a common thread, people did not come to a U2 show in a stadium to be slowly put to sleep by too many ATYCLB songs. I like so much about this tour, UF, UV, the stage, Bono's voice, but Vertigo really walks all over it in terms of a rock and roll gig.

It could be worse, I guess... they could have put a bunch of Bomb songs in there.

I don't know, at this point, I would trade Elevation for LAPOE, Stuck for OOS and WOWY for Yahweh. Crumbs would be good too.

Bomb is a better album, and at least will not put you to sleep like ATYCLB.

If you read the Rolling Stone interview the band is worried due to the low album sales under a million and no one knowing new songs....... Unkown is booted.......

Blue room was as experimental as we get and they drop it possibly as it doesnt make crowd happy.....

so is this turing into greatest hits tour?

That is pretty troubling. This is the point where the band must decide whether they want to stay loyal to their true fans and include more new material and a decent amount of rarities or if they want to give in to the pressure of casual fans and only play the greatest hits. I for one hope they have enough integrity to avoid pandering to the mainstream fans. If the casual fans don't know the new stuff, so what? It's not like U2 will be out on the streets if they don't do as well as they could if they did a "greatest hits" tour.

I'd expect at least 3 songs from Bomb, a couple from ATYCLB, and about 6-7 from the new album but it doesn't seem to be that way.

I just posted the following over in the full album sequence thread. Thought you might like it, Ax!:

We should not be talking about this in hypothetical terms. U2 has already decided on playing full album sequences:

All of ATYCLB is played every single night on this tour, and for no explainable reason at all! (>>Correction>> It just feels like all of it, might as well be.)

There is no reason that a 10 yr old album that was supported by a VERY low key arena tour with Bono's voice consistently off should be taking up this amount of spots in the setlist of a massive stadium tour with the biggest stage ever assembled supporting an album that is completely different sonically, lyrically and in overall mood. This is becoming my only gripe with the 360 setlist.

Its not just personal taste, either, many who have gone to shows have commented on the awkwardness of so many slower/mid tempo ATYCLB songs in the setlist. It just does not fit the claw. Wire, Exit, full band Desire, Even Better..., full band Stay, Dirty Day, HMTMKMKM, Zooropa, Lemon, The Fly, Discoteque, MOFO and Last Night on Earth would fit the claw perfectly.

Songs like 2 Hearts Beat as One, Trip through your Wire, In God's Country, Running to Standstill, Love Rescue Me, Hawkmoon, Love is Blindness and Wild Horses would provide a welcome change to the barrage of ATYCLB songs we are getting on a nightly basis. Not that ATYCLB isn't good, but these are simply better. The live history has proven as much. And U2 should never forget that the OCCASIONAL Out of Control and I Will Follow is still very welcome.

ATYCLB was well received granted, but it has not aged well among the fan base and I don't know of anyone, fan or one of the band members who would argue for it over War, UF, JT or AB, all albums that have been almost neglected when compared with ATYCLB. Bomb is in my opinion much better(its not JT, AB or NLOTH of course) and more recent, and it gets COBL and Vertigo only. This just baffles me.

I do not have the same opinion as the majority of this forum on Atty club. I think its a great album, and moreover, its the album U2 should have made at that time. We have been through its shortcomings so many times, I won't go into it again. BD, Kite and Walk On are the highest of the high points on this album, and U2 is about done with Kite as far as I can tell. So there you have it... on 360, you play BD because of its greatest hit status, Walk On because its part of the message this tour(and rightfully so, IMHO) and it is equal to its 2000's counterpart, Bomb in terms of # of songs played. That is all 360 needs to hear from this album.

It is becoming such a common thread, people did not come to a U2 show in a stadium to be slowly put to sleep by too many ATYCLB songs. I like so much about this tour, UF, UV, the stage, Bono's voice, but Vertigo really walks all over it in terms of a rock and roll gig.

:up: I think it is worrying to see what has happened since they started touring in Barcelona. Unknown cvaller was one of the hightlights form he new record(dumped), Electrical storm(durmped), Your blue room(seems dumped), Bad(dumped). It has become a snoozefest with song like stuck in a moment. This tour is going nowhere in terms of excitement and the poetential was HUGE when they started. I wish it was different but I guess there are still a lot of livedvd's and bootlegs to get exited about from the past.:wink:

The Rolling Stone article kind of scared me with what everyone is talking about. The band seems to be worried about the casual/mainstream goer. To hear:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
In A Little While,
Stuck In A Moment
Walk On

all in the same set from a tour "promoting" NLOTH is just absurd. And these songs do not fit (Stuck, IALW) do not fit the claw. :doh:

I have shows in Houston and Vegas. I'm still excited but not as much as I once was :angry:

well, at least i know i'm not the only one perplexed.

how the bloody hell the band can't see this for themselves is beyond me. you have the most incredible stage... perhaps ever, and they're not maximising it. not even close.

ach. i just remember the frustration boiling over at the show... utterly disappointed.

Also, wanted to add. If U2 is concerned about the interest of the crowd during the new songs add some more visual stimulation. That's what they did for ZooTV and Popmart during the new stuff. Unkown Caller should come right after Streets IMO.

errr I agree that ATYCLB is over hyped for what it actually is (half a good album) but those songs work well in the live setting- Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On- and that's why they play them- the crowd reaction says it all really- they're hardly putting the crowd to sleep (or at least not at the shows I went to)- maybe it's different in the US.

And again I don't think there are many slow pace songs in the show- the acoustic moment, Unknown Caller, WOWY and MOS

Perhaps if they're so worried about the reaction to the new material they'll finally get over this obsession with endlessly touring the US and concentrate on other parts of the world where the new material is enjoyed more

still can't believe that out of ALL the songs on the album this one has gone!!!! :doh:
can't fathom it, Bono seemed to love it, the crowd were crazy for the singalong, Edge got to do his solo, Larry sang...

Of all the songs on NLOTH this one best summed up the whole Fez thing for me... It is the centre-point...

Band make some f**king odd decisions sometimes. Bizarre in the extreme...

ATYCLB is possibly U2's weakest album...Extremely mainstream and straightforward without really anything exciting about it. Joshua Tree was fairly mainstream and sold crazy amounts but was great because of the song quality. So an album CAN be "mainstream" and still artistically great, but ATYCLB is definitely not in that category. The only song I truly enjoy from that album at this point is "When I Look at the World", and we know this will never be played live. I know this is harsh, but "Stuck" and "Walk On" are basically steaming piles of crap. Sorry, that's just how I see it, and playing these every night 10 years later is a joke. Totally agree with the earlier post about playing songs like Wire, 2 Hearts, etc...How about "Do You Feel Loved" or "Hawkmoon"??? The show I went to (Chicago 1) was a great experience overall, but we got 4 songs from ATYCLB that night...That is total madness, and not in a good way!
BTW, hello all...first post ever (and of course it is a ranting negative one). :)

Maybe U2 feels obligated to play songs from ATYCLB because these songs weren't exposed in the stadium setting during the "Elevation" tour.

Here is a crazy stat for everyone. Opening night of Elevation (2001), 6 songs from ATYCLB were played.....5 songs were played this past Saturday :|

Wow, I can't believe some people are complaining about In A Little While being done. I would have loved it at any of the shows I saw. :shrug:

The song that is putting people to sleep is Your Blue Room. It literally sends people to the restroom and concessions. If they are that worried about the general concert goer they would not play that one period. I don't understand how YBR is ok for setlist pacing but Drowning Man kills it for some reason. :der: Drowning Man would be 1000 times better than YBR and is a WAY better song to boot.

errr I agree that ATYCLB is over hyped for what it actually is (half a good album) but those songs work well in the live setting- Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On- and that's why they play them- the crowd reaction says it all really- they're hardly putting the crowd to sleep (or at least not at the shows I went to)- maybe it's different in the US.

I agree with this part of your post. ATYCLB is basically half a good album, but the songs they are playing on 360 from that album go over well with the crowd. Bomb was a better album, but, except for Vertigo and COBL, the songs didn't resonate as well live last tour so they're not emphasizing it as much.

And I do not think U2 is somehow ignoring their hardcore fan base on this tour either. They got rid of Bullet and added in TUF and YBR, neither of which is well known outside of the U2 fan community. These kind of changes are exactly what many fans here were asking for after the Vertigo tour.

And those who think U2 has made nothing but garbage since Pop are either stuck in the past or have poor taste in music, IMO. ATYCLB may have only been half a good ablum, but the half that was good was very good. Bomb was a solid album, was extremely well-received and won a bunch of grammy's. And NLOTH is U2's best effort since AB, IMO.

The songs from these 21st century U2 albums are being played on 360 because they DESERVE to be played and because the average fan at a U2 concert likes these songs. If anything, people here should be happy that U2 hasn't devolved into doing greatest hits tours like every other band their age. Their new music continues to be relevant and I'm enjoying that while it lasts.

The real tragedy will be when they can no longer put out new music that people want to listen to and they devolve into the next Rolling Geezers. I hope they retire before that day comes.

Wow, I can't believe some people are complaining about In A Little While being done. I would have loved it at any of the shows I saw. :shrug:

The song that is putting people to sleep is Your Blue Room. It literally sends people to the restroom and concessions. If they are that worried about the general concert goer they would not play that one period. I don't understand how YBR is ok for setlist pacing but Drowning Man kills it for some reason. :der: Drowning Man would be 1000 times better than YBR and is a WAY better song to boot.

in your opinion.

and i've said it many times now, fuck the casual fan. they get the majority of the setlist, they can sit down and shut the fuck up while the band plays your blue room for me.

Back
Top Bottom