U2 touring in North America in 2006!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, my apologies Shy. I stand corrected. I have actually been watching to see if U2s publicity machine used the word "world" in relation to their tour. I obviously missed some articles. My apologies.

As the tour stands today, they have no right to use the word "world" in relation to this tour. :mad:

well in the VH1 special thingy Paul said that there were thinking of extending the tour into 2006, I always assumed that would mean to other areas such as Australia and SOuth America and whatnot. But who knows, I wouldnt mind seeing a North American stadium tour if the stadium tour is supposed to be so different.

beli said:
Oh, my apologies Shy. I stand corrected. I have actually been watching to see if U2s publicity machine used the word "world" in relation to their tour. I obviously missed some articles. My apologies.

As the tour stands today, they have no right to use the word "world" in relation to this tour. :mad:

Don't worry Beli :sexywink: , U2.com team don't know what they do. There are many articles whith word or whithout world. :huh:

I'm a resident of the Boston area, and we're blessed to see U2 seven times this year. That said, I hope U2 go somewhere else but North America in 2006. I genuinely feel bad for regions that never get to see this great band, and I hope they 'fill in the blanks.' We love U2 here in America and in Canada; others do, too. Share the wealth.

Chris in New Hampshire USA

NHChris said:
I'm a resident of the Boston area, and we're blessed to see U2 seven times this year. That said, I hope U2 go somewhere else but North America in 2006. I genuinely feel bad for regions that never get to see this great band, and I hope they 'fill in the blanks.' We love U2 here in America and in Canada; others do, too. Share the wealth.

Chris in New Hampshire USA

Thank you :hug:

U2FanPeter said:
Edmonton still has the GA ban that stopped them performing there in 2001.

u2fp

Thats rough edmonton. So instead of Edmonton they can come to the peg.

U2FanPeter said:
Edmonton still has the GA ban that stopped them performing there in 2001.
What is this GA ban? I heard it mentioned on this forum a few months ago but wasn't aware of any ban. I'd like some clarification on this because I really don't understand what ban we have.

U2FanPeter:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Edmonton does NOT have a ban on GA. I've been to several concerts over the years, most recently was Velvet Revolver, and there was GA at that concert, which is where I was. You keep mentioning this and I have to tell you, YOU'RE WRONG!

There was a GA ban in effect in 2001 - and U2 skipped the city.

It stemmed from a HOLE concert in the mid-90's at the small arena in Edmonton(Max Bell arena?)

It's similar to the ban Cincinnati had in 2001(Who incident in late 70's) They lifted ban last year, allowing u2 to perform there this year.

Salt Lake City had a GA ban for the first half of 2001 - stemming from a ACDC related death in the late 80's early 90's. It was lifted to allow u2 to perform there on the 3rd leg of Elevation.

Edmonton may not have a ban on GA, but they still may be very careful about giving permission.

u2fp

I have a kind of off topic question,here it is; Is it true that venues
release a batch of tickets and put them on sale just a few days before the concert takes place? If so,are they really bad seats?

Venues hold back on some tickets until they have a better idea of how much room the stage and gear will take up. ie they overestimate the area required by the band. Some of the tickets released just before are obstructed view tickets. Some are also tickets reclaimed from people who bought more than their allotment of tickets. Some are tickets reserved for VIPs, and not given out, etc

ie some of the tickets could be good seats, some could be not so good. Ive read of people getting GAs on the day of the concert.

U2FanPeter said:
There was a GA ban in effect in 2001 - and U2 skipped the city.

It stemmed from a HOLE concert in the mid-90's at the small arena in Edmonton(Max Bell arena?)

It's similar to the ban Cincinnati had in 2001(Who incident in late 70's) They lifted ban last year, allowing u2 to perform there this year.

Salt Lake City had a GA ban for the first half of 2001 - stemming from a ACDC related death in the late 80's early 90's. It was lifted to allow u2 to perform there on the 3rd leg of Elevation.

Edmonton may not have a ban on GA, but they still may be very careful about giving permission.

u2fp

I think you have the wrong city all together. I've lived in Edmonton all my life and have never heard of a Max Bell arena. Plus there have been so many GA concerts here before, during, and since 2001 I wouldn't be able to count them all. That I know for a fact. Green Day was GA back in the late 90's and again two weeks ago here. I have been to more GA concerts here in the city in the past 10 years than ones with reserved seating. So keep blowing smoke or get your facts straight.

BBBad11 said:

I think you have the wrong city all together. I've lived in Edmonton all my life and have never heard of a Max Bell arena. Plus there have been so many GA concerts here before, during, and since 2001 I wouldn't be able to count them all. That I know for a fact. Green Day was GA back in the late 90's and again two weeks ago here. I have been to more GA concerts here in the city in the past 10 years than ones with reserved seating. So keep blowing smoke or get your facts straight.

Please name in the Edmonton GA concerts in indoor venues(3,000-15,000) between 1996-2002.

u2fp

What am I? A human archive of concert dates??? All I am saying is maybe you should check into things before you start with wild theories.

The point is many bands have come through town in arena shows (same venue as Elevation would have been) both before 2001 and after. Try Green Day, Velvet Revolver, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc. Those are just a couple that played at the arena. Edgefest tours occured in the late 90's at the stadium and large GA concerts like stage 13. Bands like Foo Fighters and Coldplay have played large GA concerts at the Shaw Conference Centre. These are but a small percentage.

Concerts of many sizes at different venues in different years...ALL GA!

This U2FanPeter has no idea what he's talking about. Did you ever live here before? I see you're from Vancouver and would like to know how you're the only one saying there was a ban.

I said there was never a Edmonton full floor GA concert in a full size arena 1996-2002. You said there are many examples - and you have yet to come up with a single instance.

Yet, during this same time they had indoor GA shows in Calgary and Vancouver(2001 Edgefest/Blink 182, RHCP,Metallica (small GA section in 1997)/Country(?))

I was wrong about GA shows for venues under 4,000. Examples include Coldplay(2003?), Foo Fighters(2003?) plus I found reviews of 2 Offspring shows from the late 90's.

The only evidence I could find of HOLE playing Edmonton was 1999(one of their last ever shows) and possibly 1991 - since they played a show in Calgary that summer.

The Rexall Center was approached by U2 in 2001 for a show and was denied because "unreasonable demands" by the venue. What do you think that reason was - any guesses? U2 promoters also denied shows in Cincinati for the same reason. Salt Lake City granted an GA exemption for the 3rd leg 2001 performance.

I said there was a GA ban - and for the Rexall Center 1996-2002 that still remains to be true. The venue learned their lesson with U2 and changed the rules to allow Springsteen, Tool(?) RHCP, Metallica Green Day and Velvet Revolver etc... to perform in Edmonton.

Cincinati lifted their ban after being passed over by U2 for a 2002 Springsteen concert. There is an article on Billboard.com

U2FP

Is your life based around researching rock venues? You said I have yet to come up with an example, I gave you plenty. Green Day played a full floor GA in the late 90s. What date? I dunno, I have a life and better things to do than look up this stuff. And you criticize my lack of examples when you provide incorrect ones. First you say the GA ban stemmed from a Hole concert here in the mid 90s. Then you say there was only a Hole concert in 1999 (which I was at). So where do you base your facts? Was it at the Max Bell arena like you said? Wrong again, No such venue here. Show me valid proof of a GA ban in Edmonton and maybe I can believe you because I'm sure if there was a ban we Edmontonians would have known about it!

Can you guys spead this up a bit please? It should be pretty easy to solve. Please provide a link to an article about this Hole death concert or forever hold your peace.

Thank you.

beli said:
Australian dates would be played in winter. In stadiums. In the rain? I would doubt it.

Can you explain to me about this rain buisness?
They did do the US in december on PopMart, but hopefully its arena's for us.

bono_man2002 said:

Can you explain to me about this rain buisness?
They did do the US in december on PopMart, but hopefully its arena's for us.

ha, ha. Well it rains here in Winter. I'm sure it rains in Melbourne in Winter too. I just thought it would be bloody awful to be standing out on the stadium pitch in the cold and the wet.

February would be fine though. Not much chance of rain then. Thats if they are playing Stadiums. If they are playing arenas then it doesn't matter so much.

I emailed the Edmonton Sun entertainment writer and Rexall/Northlands events planner. They should give a quick resolution.

BBBad11 said:
<<Is your life based around researching rock venues?>>

No.

<<You said I have yet to come up with an example, I gave you plenty. Green Day played a full floor GA in the late 90s. What date? I dunno, I have a life and better things to do than look up this stuff.>>

The official Green Day site has old tour dates 1997-present(5 minutes of searching) There's no "late 90's" indoor Edmonton show listed. The 2005 Edmonton Sun GD concert review(5 more minutes of searching) said the last time they played a indoors was close to a decade ago. Both a official sources and both thwart your credibility.

I have yet to receive a single example of a full GA show at Rexall between 1995-2002.

I'm also still left wondering why U2 passed over Edmonton in 2001 - and the current rumoured Sept. 2005 Calgary shows - After selling almost 100,000 tickets in 1997.

I'll await to see what's in my inbox tomorrow.

u2fp

Dear Peter,

There has never been a restriction for GA floors at Rexall Place. The number of attendees to the floor is controlled by the Fire Marshall and through wrist banding plus tickets we control these numbers.

Since 1996 and up to 2002 there have GA floor shows for Green Day in '95, The Tragically Hip in '96, Metallica in '97, Korn in '00, Nickelback in '02 and so on.

I don't believe the set-up has a bearing on shows you mention or U2.

Thank you

Gerry Stoll

Booking Manager

Rexall Place

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom