U2 to perform at the Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when U2 wins I do. :wink:

*blind sheep*

meeeeeeehhhhh

U2 won album of the year twice. They can play the Grammys anytime they want.

No kidding. I'm really surprised (in this and the "rumor" thread) that so many people figured it must be a big lie because they're not nominated for anything.

Really? Dude. It's U2!

Do you think they're definitely going to play Get on your boots?

in 2005, they played Sometimes and then in 2006 they played Vertigo, right? Even though Vertigo was the song up for the awards in 05, etc. And I'm using calendar year there so.

Perhaps they'll play something else? I mean it's likely they'll play Boots and since I really like the song, I'm 100% A-Okay with that especially since I expect it will translate really well live, but there probably is some sort of outside chance they play something else.

I see your point. And I do respect that on some level the ceremonies should be about honoring the nominated artists.

But, in this day and age of short attention spans, if you get an opportunity to promote your single to the entire world in one shot, well you take that shot.

And also, the Grammys need U2 as much as U2 needs them to promote the new single. Believe me, the ratings for the Grammys if U2 is performing are vastly different than when they are not.

very true.

well said.

I get your point, although I see the Grammy prizes more as an "industry gathering" than as true "music awards".

unfortunately thats exactly where it has gotten to be. I guess I wish it were more the latter as opposed to the former. But like I said, in the end we all win because we get to hear new U2. :up:

Meh, they'll probably just play with Radiohead a electronic cover of Maggie's Farm...

those irish folks. :tsk:

Amen to that. Please BLATANTLY PROMOTE the hell out of this song and album.

I've been watching a lot of crappy bands and singers over the last 4+ years promote the garbage they are trying to put out.

So when the artists I actually love has a new product, I want to see them on every show playing their hearts out promoting their stuff.

:applaud:

Carnac.jpg

"Because Bono's glasses make him look like a douchebag"?

Seriously though, the guy has a point. Not that I care. The more quality music present the better.

I like what RollingStone.com said about it:

Think the Grammy lineup somehow needed even more firepower? U2, Kid Rock, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss and Rihanna have just been added to the already incredible list of performers at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards, airing Sunday, February 8th. Let’s look at the roster now: Radiohead, Coldplay, Paul McCartney with Dave Grohl, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Jay-Z, T.I., Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, Jonas Brothers, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson and Kenny Chesney, plus those four huge acts announced this morning. That’s like a dream Coachella lineup. While we credit the Grammys with doing everything humanly possible to convince people to watch this year’s broadcast, we have to wonder how they are going to have time to hand out awards. How long will this monster show run?

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss are up for five awards, including the prestigious Album of the Year. Now Ne-Yo is the lone Album of the Year candidate not performing at the show. U2 aren’t up for any awards, but they’re U2 and have a new album coming out and Bono has some special pass that lets him play anywhere, anytime he wants, so playing the Grammys on the biggest night in music makes perfect sense.

Rihanna is up for three awards, including Best Dance Recording for “Disturbia.” We’re predicting it right now: Bet on Rihanna being a part of that super-medley featuring Kanye, Jay-Z and T.I. doing “Swagga Like Us,” T.I. and Timberlake performing a song (probably “If I”) together and then assume T.I. and Rihanna will duet on “Live Your Life.” Likewise, while Kid Rock is nominated for Best Rock Album and Best Male Vocal Pop Performance for “All Summer Long,” we’d be shocked if Mr. Rock N Roll Jesus doesn’t share the stage with Lil Wayne at some point, like they did at the Country Music Awards.

With the addition of U2, this year’s telecast will feature arguably the three biggest bands on the planet right now (U2, Radiohead, Coldplay) along with the three biggest rappers (Kanye West, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne) and a Beatle (McCartney.) Well done, Grammys. The Grammys also revealed the initial slate of special guest presenters: Jack Black, Duffy, actor Simon Baker, Charlie Haden, Josh Groban and Gwyneth Paltrow, who we’re really hoping introduces her husband’s band. Also, Samuel L. Jackson! We’re officially stoked for the Grammys, set to air live on February 8th from Los Angeles’ Staples Center. And be sure to check out of Grammy Faceoff ‘09 as our panel of celebrity experts predict these year’s winners in the biggest categories:

I like what RollingStone.com said about it:
U2 aren’t up for any awards, but they’re U2 and have a new album coming out and Bono has some special pass that lets him play anywhere, anytime he wants, so playing the Grammys on the biggest night in music makes perfect sense.

I'm glad they're clear about this. :lol:

Does anyone actually take the Grammys seriously anymore?

Does it really fucking matter? We've been waiting just over 3 years to hear something new from U2 live, I couldn't care less if it's the grammies or the peoples choice awards.

As I said in the other thread... it would be really cool if they played another song from NLOTH, on top of Boots. But it's never gonna happen.

You know everyone is just assuming that U2 was the one pushing to be on the Grammies but has anyone considered that once Their performance on the Brits and Echo awards were announced perhaps the Grammy organizers started pushing for U2 to perform. Just a thought but one shouldn't automatically assume that the band was the instigator. Up until now it looked like the US promotion was very understated. It's possible that U2 was prepared for a backlash in the US to this album and was countering that by promoting everywhere else in the world first and letting the US salivate from a distance. Pop suffered as a result of them launching the tour here when the album was not getting a good reception from America. Had the album been connecting then the first show mishaps would not have been viewed as negatively as they were. U2 always screws up the first few shows of a tour but are forgiven when the album is liked.

Dana

Well, with this move, U2 has guaranteed themselves a Best Single Grammy next year, and if the album is half-way decent, they've just wrapped up another one for Best Album... and perhaps a few others for whatever else the nominations are for.

This is all politics. U2 plays the gig, the Grammy bureaucracy will keep them in favor... a classic you scratch our back we'll scratch yours. The promotion will be good, yes, but it's just a footnote.

I'm not trying to bash U2, I'm a sheep, but I think this is part of why the Grammies aren't taken as seriously as they used to be...

You know everyone is just assuming that U2 was the one pushing to be on the Grammies but has anyone considered that once Their performance on the Brits and Echo awards were announced perhaps the Grammy organizers started pushing for U2 to perform.

Yes, that's what I think as well.

Well, with this move, U2 has guaranteed themselves a Best Single Grammy next year, and if the album is half-way decent, they've just wrapped up another one for Best Album... and perhaps a few others for whatever else the nominations are for.

I don't see a Grammy for GOYB.

The Grammys and U2 need each other. It's promotion for both sides. If they can perform on other award shows (Echo, Brits) without being nominated for an award, then they can perform at the Grammy's at well.

Carnac.jpg

"Because Bono's glasses make him look like a douchebag"?

Seriously though, the guy has a point. Not that I care. The more quality music present the better.

I think he summed up what I've been trying to say about a million times better. That's exactly why I believe that they shouldn't be there. I love them to death...but they really shouldn't be there.

Great article. Thanks for the link. :up:

U2 has won so many grammys. They'll get nominated for album of the year but they won't win. Award shows like to spread it around. I'm sure they'll get best rock album or something like that. If it's weird enough they may get best alternative album.

If Achtung Baby couldn't win why would this?

U2 has won so many grammys. They'll get nominated for album of the year but they won't win. Award shows like to spread it around. I'm sure they'll get best rock album or something like that. If it's weird enough they may get best alternative album.

If Achtung Baby couldn't win why would this?

we haven't heard it yet. maybe it's better than Achtung.

They give Grammy's for best Rock video, and if the finished product is close to the leaked version, than GOYB has a really good chance to win that one!:drool:

The more good performers/bands the Grammys get the better. Nominated or not.

:up: C-play, Radiohead (lol) and U2 on the same stage.

I don't know if it's already been said here, but it's not COMPULSORY to watch the Grammy Awards. Even if U2 are playing. I'd rather watch paint dry myself, but I'm like that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom