U2 in Vegas - Tips for booking hotels, flights and other Vegasy type things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw several quail in JT, in case you wondered where such birds live. Cute lil guys. Saw a roadrunner at a gas station. That looked more like a teeny dinosaur.

Probably no need to see the tree, but JT national park is incredible. See that first.

this. i've done both the drive from LA -> the tree and Vegas -> JTNP -> LA. if you want to go off the beaten path a bit to see some beautiful desert go through JT national park and skip "the" joshua tree.

the actual tree itself is in the middle of absolutely nowhere and it's just some dead logs and old dusty crap people left behind. not remotely worth the time it takes to get out there. you WILL be disappointed. the scenery in the national park is orders of magnitude more beautiful than going to the far side of death valley. and joshua trees are much nicer when they're standing. trust me on this one.

Thanks all. You've successfully convinced me to not go and see the tree, but I might still drive to Vegas from LA and hopefully see some of the park on the way? Maybe I'll do Melbourne <fly> LA <drive> Vegas <drive> SLC <fly> Seattle <drive> Portland. And then fly to Sacramento (if there'll be a game on? If not then I'll skip it). I'll probably stay in hostels in LA and Portland, hopefully I can stay with Cori in Seattle and Mofo in SLC? Maybe I'll visit Laz again in LA. What are car hire prices and petrol like over yonder? I'm a little nervous driving in a different country with different rules but I'm sure I'll be fine and it'll be a nice way to see parts of the country.

Thanks all. You've successfully convinced me to not go and see the tree, but I might still drive to Vegas from LA and hopefully see some of the park on the way? Maybe I'll do Melbourne <fly> LA <drive> Vegas <drive> SLC <fly> Seattle <drive> Portland. And then fly to Sacramento (if there'll be a game on? If not then I'll skip it). I'll probably stay in hostels in LA and Portland, hopefully I can stay with Cori in Seattle and Mofo in SLC? Maybe I'll visit Laz again in LA. What are car hire prices and petrol like over yonder? I'm a little nervous driving in a different country with different rules but I'm sure I'll be fine and it'll be a nice way to see parts of the country.
When is the show you're going to?

One piece of advice would be to get off the interstate if you have the time. The interstate is meant to get you to destinations as fast as possible, not give you the most beautiful scenery (although most of the scenery in the west is pretty good no matter where you are). And build in time to see something like Crater Lake in Oregon or Arches in Utah if you’re driving and can.

Distances are huge. I’ve done Seattle to LA and back, and that takes 2-3 days of 8ish hours of straight driving. I see you’ve got flights built in, so that’s good.

I think care hire/rental could be anywhere from $50-150 a day (deals abound if you look) and petrol prices have gotten much better from a year ago. Expect it to be most expensive in California and Washington — around $5 a gallon right now (was approaching $7 last year as this time).

You could also take the train from Seattle to Portland.

Last edited:
You can fly from LAS to SLC on Frontier for, like, $40 bucks.

Assuming you won't be packing light though, considering the distance you're coming from - so would need to tag on bags.

Frontier is a discount airline. Cheap to fly but they hit you with fees for everything that a normal airline would give you for free.

If you're able to just backpack it - you could easily and cheaply fly everywhere

I innocently and naively put in like five days at the Linq and then was like oh that will literally cost me more than my flights from home and back. Some of you motherfuckers are rich man.

I innocently and naively put in like five days at the Linq and then was like oh that will literally cost me more than my flights from home and back. Some of you motherfuckers are rich man.

Did you book directly through Caesars?

Just checked out of curiosity. Cobbler's U2 show is 10/20.
Linq is very expensive that weekend. $159 on 10/19, $359 on 10/20 and $599 on 10/21. (Checked Harrah's they are slightly cheaper but still $99, $269 and $529 for those 3 dates) Must be something big going on that weekend in Vegas, a fight maybe.
Drops to $37 for Monday 10/23.

Its again why I opted for tickets for a Wednesday show, knowing rooms (and flights) would be cheaper (plus figured getting tix in presale would potentially be easier).
My 3 night hotel stay from 10/24-10/27 all in including resort fees was less than $400.

Probably Green Day & Blink-182 at the When We Were Young Festival on 10/21 & 22 driving up the hotel prices.

Last edited:
Just checked out of curiosity. Cobbler's U2 show is 10/20.
Linq is very expensive that weekend. $159 on 10/19, $359 on 10/20 and $599 on 10/21. (Checked Harrah's they are slightly cheaper but still $99, $269 and $529 for those 3 dates) Must be something big going on that weekend in Vegas, a fight maybe.
Drops to $37 for Monday 10/23.

Its again why I opted for tickets for a Wednesday show, knowing rooms (and flights) would be cheaper (plus figured getting tix in presale would potentially be easier).
My 3 night hotel stay from 10/24-10/27 all in including resort fees was less than $400.
Ahhh... When We Were Young Festival is that weekend.

63f656fb46027671ad99bc58_WEBSITE%20-%20WWWY_1200x1500%202.jpg

Sounds awful.

Back
Top Bottom