The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always interpreted the live version of Crazy Tonight in this way.....the band had an idea for a 'dance party' moment in the concert and came up with a kick-ass new arrangement of Discotheque. Also in the set, however, was the regular version of Crazy Tonight, which wasn't quite gelling as they'd hoped. So, U2 decided to amp up CT with the new arrangement, figuring that a new song would benefit more from being a concert staple than an old warhorse like Discotheque.

This is just total speculation on my part, btw.

Since when is Pride a stepping-on-toes song? The only controversial thing about it is Bono's fuck-up over the time of the assassination. I guess that could be offensive to some.

Anodyne lyrics about MLK in 1984 is an affront to southerners? The closest he comes to pointing fingers at anybody is, "they took your life"...but who is "they"? He doesn't say. There's nothing incendiary about those lyrics.

Those songs are examples of "watered down" Bono. They are more broad laments than a criticism of a particular regime/ideology. SBS, Pride, Bullet, Mothers of the Disappeared, Ms Sarajevo, SATS, Please and other less obvious songs (like Seconds) tackle issues head-on.

I disagree.

SBS was indeed about a specific event and, based on what we've all read, Edge's first draft of the lyrics were even more specific (even mentioning the IRA). Bono, however, made the lyrics more abstract and non-specific. While the title remained, the lyrics could apply to any war at any time. Did this "water down" the meaning?

All the rest of the song are similar. Pride is about MLK, but never mentions him by name. The lyrics suggest the song is applicable to any martyr (even Jesus). This makes the song more relatable. Analogously, Bullet and Please have specific events as an influence, but the lyrics allow them to apply to multple situations.

With that in mind, I argue that Crumbs qualifies. It is heavily influenced by specific events, but is written in a general manner.

Love & Peace is admittedly more borderline, but that is intentional, IMO. The song has an early 70's vibe to it, which I also believe is intentional. It seems the song was meant to capture that time (with the Vietnam war). Both the music and lyrics are meant to be vague - discussing not just one situation, but many situations. And indeed, there are many. Pick a war - any war!

I like these more abstract ideas. It allows the songs to be applied to more than one or two events. If Bono wrote specifically, the songs would become outdated.

Are the lyrics not as potent? That's arguable. It could be a change in style. Words of a 50 year old may not match that of his 25 year old self. I see that even in my e-mails. Maturity allows one to phrase concepts and ideas better - to be more powerful with notions while not offending. Maybe people want offensive. But I argue that nothing Bono has ever written is specifically offensive. If one takes offense, so be it. But Bono's lyrics are meant for many interpretations - that is one of his biggest strengths.

I always interpreted the live version of Crazy Tonight in this way.....the band had an idea for a 'dance party' moment in the concert and came up with a kick-ass new arrangement of Discotheque. Also in the set, however, was the regular version of Crazy Tonight, which wasn't quite gelling as they'd hoped. So, U2 decided to amp up CT with the new arrangement, figuring that a new song would benefit more from being a concert staple than an old warhorse like Discotheque.

This is just total speculation on my part, btw.

Sorry to deflate your theory, but the new arrangement of CT comes from a remix that they adopted as their own.

Sure. I wouldn't call it enlightened.

I grew up and now have returned to live in the South, and yes racism still very much exists. BUT KKK kind of racism is very small, Pride is not going to step on anyone's toes because most of the racism that does exist is in people who don't believe they are racist.

You should be careful about such offensive blanket statements...

I grew up and now have returned to live in the South, and yes racism still very much exists. BUT KKK kind of racism is very small, Pride is not going to step on anyone's toes because most of the racism that does exist is in people who don't believe they are racist.

You should be careful about such offensive blanket statements...

I'm sorry if you think my comment was offensive. Please don't pretend I said more than I did. There's A LOT of racism in the south.

But in order for Pride to be "stepping on toes" it would have to be institutional type of racism, KKK, neo-nazi, etc and that type of racism is very small.

This whole conversation was based on songs that "stepped on toes". So I'm very confused as to what your last post meant.

I said there are a lot of racists in the south, and racists aren't usually big fans of MLK. By writing a pro-MLK song, they face off against the many thousands of racists in the south.

It's similar to what happened to INXS with Original Sin. They got death threats over that song.

I said there are a lot of racists in the south, and racists aren't usually big fans of MLK. By writing a pro-MLK song, they face off against the many thousands of racists in the south.

I'm not going to get into this much more for this is not FYM, but you don't seem to understand the racism of the south.

You? From the South? I honestly never would have guessed. That does explain the chip on your shoulder, however.

Yes, we're all racists, and we're all born with chips...

Oh, and we sleep with our sisters.

Does that cover it?

"Oh the wonderful hearts of those that claim to be loving."

Yes, we're all racists, and we're all born with chips...

Oh, and we sleep with our sisters.

Does that cover it?

"Oh the wonderful hearts of those that claim to be loving."

I never said or implied any of that. I am just surprised. Sheesh.

The real reason that U2 isn't releasing any of this material is that BVS is from the South?

Or is because he has a stick up his ass?

Or is it because we're all racists?

Or is it because Pride?

WHAT IS THE REAL REASON THAT U2 ISN'T RELEASING ANY OF THIS MATERIAL OH GOD WHY ARE WE SO OFF TOPIC WHAT THE FUUCCCCKKKKK :combust:

The chip is heavy and the southern sun gets hot, but damn that stick makes it so difficult to sit down and rest. It's a life of hell...

U2 are recording a tribute album for all that are suffering the way I am and that's the real reason for the delay.

You heard it here first.

I'm with BVS (for the first time ever maybe) on Pride. There is nothing in the lyrics that would incite violence, or offend racists (haha, "offend racists"), or anything of the "controversial" sort. It's a tribute to MLK, not a "REDNECK MOTHERFUCKERS DIE DIE DIE" song.

This thread has taken an intriguing, biographical turn. I like it. Refreshing.

If the band released a new album and yet they all still played and performed exactly the same as they did in their early years then wouldn't you feel a bit peeved?
It depends on the band. ACDC have made a career out of not innovating over the past 35 years and the band members claim there is no other way for them to be.

But that's not really relevant anyway. I'm saying U2 ARE producing fresh and interesting material yet procrastinating over it way too much, and consequently not releasing any of it.

Every mainstream artist releases the most accessible tracks of their latest album in an attempt to get non fans to buy their album. This way they can boost sales beyond their fan base. It's called marketing.
Yeah, yeah, I'm aware of all that, but as I said it didn't seem overly effective in the case of NLOTH. The mainstream doesn't appreciate how good U2's music is anymore and their singles are unlikely to enjoy global mainstream success like they once did.

This thread has taken an intriguing, biographical turn. I like it. Refreshing.
Is this normal for Interference threads to have so many useless off-topic posts? I'm acustomed to forums where the users don't post unless they have something relevant and/or intelligent to bring to the conversation.

I do however thank the handful of people who have contributed intelligent discussion to this thread.

Is this normal for Interference threads to have so many useless off-topic posts? I'm acustomed to forums where the users don't post unless they have something relevant and/or intelligent to bring to the conversation.

I do however thank the handful of people who have contributed intelligent discussion to this thread.
If you want every thread to be intelligent, on-topic discussion, then this place is not the right one for you.

Back
Top Bottom