The Overhang: U2 at the MSG Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a money grab and the band will go down in history as making a huge mistake here...

I am headed to Vegas to get but a small taste of the gloriousness of Zoo TV that I missed out on when I was 15 and I just had moved to this country. A couple of months after I moved here, as I am sitting in the living room of our new home in a new country, I was watching the MTV music awards and I see that U2 is playing a stadium 45 minutes away from my house. I had been listening to AB on repeat for months and I was so sad I was so close, yet so far away.

So while the technical aspects of the Sphere are of some interest to me, they are definitely secondary to letting my 15 year old self get some of that experience. :rockon:

So booooooooo to your doom and gloom, even if you might be right on some points. :angry: Oh, and hello again. :wave:

It is indeed Irving Azoff now Headache.

Y'all better look back at my last post saying how poorly designed this building is.

This overhang issue is just the beginning...

I find it absolutely hilarious that some of the most expensive seats sold have obstructed views OF A SCREEN.

You have to ask yourself two questions:

1. What are you there to see - the band or what is playing on the screen?
2. If the latter, wouldn't the architects/engineers/designers/owner plan the building in a way that all the seats had an equal view of the screen? Because regardless of what act loads in here (and my prediction is it will not be many after U1 (have to remove a digit because even Larry isn't showing up to this shitshow)) the screen is going to be the star and the act just a couple of ants on a tiny stage.

I will repeat myself that this has disaster written all over it and as an experiment all tickets should have been $23 to prove this building out before people shell out, say $500, $1,450, or more to experience a giant screen saver with a soundtrack by their favorite band.

This is a money grab and the band will go down in history as making a huge mistake here...

ouizy - not on board.

ouizy - not on board.

Seriously. JT30 was a movie for most of the JT set, the most effective stuff in I&E was a combination of production and performance. Sphere is a natural evolution for U2’s live presentation. I am curious what the hell they’ve got up their sleeve for the *next* tour.

Yeah, I'll try to go in with no expectations, but for some of us, this is as close to Zoo (or any 90s u2 show) we're gonna get, and I love that shit so I'm excited no matter whether the building is stupid.

Yeah, I'll try to go in with no expectations, but for some of us, this is as close to Zoo (or any 90s u2 show) we're gonna get, and I love that shit so I'm excited no matter whether the building is stupid.

AB in full means half of the setlist will be unassailable before you even get into the 80s hits. As long as they don’t SOS that stuff, I’m good.

AB in full means half of the setlist will be unassailable before you even get into the 80s hits. As long as they don’t SOS that stuff, I’m good.

100%

Likely no B stage, so they can feel free to skip the acoustic portion of the evening.

Seriously. JT30 was a movie for most of the JT set, the most effective stuff in I&E was a combination of production and performance. Sphere is a natural evolution for U2’s live presentation. I am curious what the hell they’ve got up their sleeve for the *next* tour.

Good point.

I am just bitter that the Sphere (and let's remember that it is actually not a full sphere :angry: ) is not, well, better.

Understand I love(d) this band - I only hope for the best for them.

-These ticket prices are not the best for them
-Songs of Surrender is not the best for them
-Larry not playing while they are adamant about going on stage without him is just not the best for them - that is where I just draw the line.

I could go on, but from what I have hear cough cough - - I am in the industry - - this is just not a good building.

I also hope for the best for the fans who purchased tickets because this is fucking expensive by anyone's calculations and most people attending do not live in Las Vegas so need to fly in for more $. No one and I mean no one should have to spend over $1,000 to see a rock concert - I do not care who is playing.

Artists need to have more appreciation for fans' expenditures - you cannot only blame the ticket sellers.

I am venting, but the reason is I just do not have a good feeling about this for the fans who have been with this band forever.

If this is going to be for a young attendee what ZOOTV at Yankee Stadium was for me when I was that age then I truly hope I am 100% wrong, because those memories last forever.

the question of "have you come here to see a screen or the band" is one that can be lobbied at U2 since, like, 1992... with a small detour in the early to mid 2000s.

For me - hey, I get that U2 will never have a rotating setlist like Springsteen (current tour adir) or Pearl Jam. So I come for the combination of the music and the multimedia mind-blowing fucktacular.

Plus I love Vegas. So hey, this is a win win for me.

U2 have made some awful decisions... Spiderman... the Apple release...

could this be another one of those? sure.

but there's one person who i absolutely trust in the U2 camp - who will absolutely get the job done and do things the right way.

and that person isn't Bono, Edge, Adam, the ghost of Larry, Paul McGuinness, Guy Oseary or Irving Azoff.

it's Willie Williams. i trust that he'll do this right.

re: the building? sheeeeeeeeeeeit i could care less if they go under by January 2024. i fully expect that at some point they will have to adjust the tech requirements in this place to make it easier for acts to stop in on non-residencies.

there is no question whatsoever that - for this place to be successful? the shit's gotta work. if it's a giant IMAX on steroids? uh, yea - the place will be a giant boondoggle and they'll be in Chapter 11 by the end of the fiscal year.

but as far as U2 is concerned? yea, i'm not overly worried. i think the band will bring the goods, and i know that Willie will bring the goods and will take full advantage of the space and put on the best show possible with what he's being given.

Last edited:
Someone coughheadachecough needs to do a photoshopped version of Groundskeeper Willie ripping his shirt off with Willie Williams’ head because yep, he will deliver the visual goods.

6zb5.gif

To add the the Willie love, I think the fact that he is the one narrating the teaser for the not residency in Vegas tells us that he is going to play a very important role and that I better bring a purse full of Dramamine. :reject:

-Larry not playing while they are adamant about going on stage without him is just not the best for them - that is where I just draw the line.

The ticket prices are rather affordable vs the Vegas standard, though, no? Up close for $268, in the door for $140 - who else at their level is touching that? Go take a look at Garth’s prices and know there’s no tech piece at play in that room.

SOS has no bearing on these shows, really. They may touch one or two things but can’t imagine more than that.
Do agree the Larry thing is touchy which is another reason why I don’t see much of SOS - they’re not going to go back into autobiographical mode (think opening stretch of I&E) without him there.

I could go on, but from what I have hear cough cough - - I am in the industry - - this is just not a good building.

Oh do go on!

Artists need to have more appreciation for fans' expenditures - you cannot only blame the ticket sellers.

Again, I think the tickets are fairly priced. Springsteen and the Stones charging ~$400 face before fees for close sidelines at a stadium show where they’re still far vs what U2 is charging for 100 and 200 level in a hi tech arena. If anything, they’re undercharging.

I agree about the prices. I was mentally preparing for a $500.00 will JUST get you in the door situation. Sure, the platinum prices suck, but if the statement of 60% of tickets are under $300.00 and we have a % of seats at platinum prices to “subsidize” the rest is true, then so be it. Some people did buy platinum in the panic of it all, but that is on them. :shrug:

Good point.

I am just bitter that the Sphere (and let's remember that it is actually not a full sphere :angry: ) is not, well, better.

I also hope for the best for the fans who purchased tickets because this is fucking expensive by anyone's calculations and most people attending do not live in Las Vegas so need to fly in for more $. No one and I mean no one should have to spend over $1,000 to see a rock concert - I do not care who is playing.

I am venting, but the reason is I just do not have a good feeling about this for the fans who have been with this band forever.

If this is going to be for a young attendee what ZOOTV at Yankee Stadium was for me when I was that age then I truly hope I am 100% wrong, because those memories last forever.

I hear you and you may well be right to worry. I gotta hope the ~memories last forever~ will win out. I'll reserve judgement till I've seen the show. :)

I agree about the prices. I was mentally preparing for a $500.00 will JUST get you in the door situation. Sure, the platinum prices suck, but if the statement of 60% of tickets are under $300.00 and we have a % of seats at platinum prices to “subsidize” the rest is true, then so be it. Some people did buy platinum in the panic of it all, but that is on them. :shrug:

Yeah, I was scared they'd all be over $500. Glad they're only like...half-Vegas-sized prices. :/

When the sphere takes off and touches space for 10 seconds to end the show, you'll be sorry you missed it.

Ticketmaster coming through with that pre-sale offer. My nine year old son is going to be so excited.

Attachments

• B0541243-FC7D-4BA2-8E75-01386EBB6491.jpg
    B0541243-FC7D-4BA2-8E75-01386EBB6491.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 16
On TM right now looking at seats for 12/1. 100 level seats from row 30 on back are all still available , but price is full $501.35. Didn't they learn anything?

but as far as U2 is concerned? yea, i'm not overly worried. i think the band will bring the goods, and i know that Willie will bring the goods and will take full advantage of the space and put on the best show possible with what he's being given.

Yep. Unless something in the building fails catastrophically. These will be great shows.
They won't be ZooTV cause the band is 3 decades older, those shows will never be recaptured, and having seen 4 of them, those shows will likely never be topped by any band ever in terms of the complete combination of music, a band at it's absolute peak physically and musically and the groundbreaking tech of the show. It was the band in their prime touring one of the greatest rock albums ever made with a stage set up the likes of which nobody had ever seen before.

This will be the closest we'll come to reliving that. They have themed it an Achtung baby show, so we're not just wishfully speculating. May or may not be the entire album, but certainly will be most of it and as long as Willie is in the fold, the visuals will be great.

And as for the price point, I agree that it's probably underpriced in today's market (Platinum nonsense notwithstanding) for the combination of band and venue. Is it expensive...sure. Does anyone think we're ever getting into a U2 show for 50 bucks again anywhere? Not happening. But they could have charged more and still sold out. P3 & P4 price levels are frankly quite reasonable.

On TM right now looking at seats for 12/1. 100 level seats from row 30 on back are all still available , but price is full $501.35. Didn't they learn anything?

Do they at least reference the obstruction?

What do we think of GA and SEATS being separate links for each show? I didn't get to experience trying to buy tickets as I never got verified, so I assume that's it's pretty annoying to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom