The Octagon Bar: What's YOUR Countdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
starsforu2 said:

$10 per day??? 2 Packs a day? Or is it more expensive where you're at?

** Does some quick math... **

$3360 per year! :dance: I should give up eating to save that kind of scratch! :wink:

well, it's a 'Ewen conversion' from UK £ to US $. Although cigarettes are indeed heavly taxed here. A packet of 20 costs about £5 and I just doubled that for dollars. Saying that, the cost is actually a lot less because I never smoked packet cigarettes, I rolled my own cigarettes. So, maybe not $560 dollars for me personally, more like $300 maybe. I dunno, who cares, it's a lot just to be killing yourself and making your clothes stink.

After 8 weeks, there's no turning back. I've been out in bars with smokers and hasn't been any problem. I've also been drunk (heavly) and not resisted. I'm proud of myself. I reckon only smokers can appreciate that.

I'm going out to dinner tonight...I haven't cooked a meal at home since, um...Thursday, I think? :reject:

No more dinners out for a while. Although none of them were my choice, really, except Saturday night when I took my sister out to dinner.

ewen said:

well, it's a 'Ewen conversion' from UK £ to US $. Although cigarettes are indeed heavly taxed here. A packet of 20 costs about £5 and I just doubled that for dollars. Saying that, the cost is actually a lot less because I never smoked packet cigarettes, I rolled my own cigarettes. So, maybe not $560 dollars for me personally, more like $300 maybe. I dunno, who cares, it's a lot just to be killing yourself and making your clothes stink.

After 8 weeks, there's no turning back. I've been out in bars with smokers and hasn't been any problem. I've also been drunk (heavly) and not resisted. I'm proud of myself. I reckon only smokers can appreciate that.

:up:

:hug:

ewen said:
Although cigarettes are indeed heavly taxed here. A packet of 20 costs about £5 and I just doubled that for dollars.

That is not heavly taxed! :no:

A pack of cigarets costs around 10€ here :huh: ... and no, I do not smoke!

u2bonogirl said:
*lounges on the couch with an apple and a cup of iced coffee*

:sigh: college is expensive.....

Damn straight, sister. :|

Hope you're applying for lots of good scholarships!

Are you looking to go for a 2-year or a 4-year program? What do you want to study? Do you care if your school is public or private?

pax said:

Damn straight, sister. :|

Hope you're applying for lots of good scholarships!

Are you looking to go for a 2-year or a 4-year program? What do you want to study? Do you care if your school is public or private?

Im starting with a 2 year school and transferring to a 4 year later. Im looking at a history major..I want to be a teacher. I wish I was good at math because its so easy to get a job teaching math :madspit:
I might want to minor in some sort of music program in case theres ever an opening for a music teacher, or something of that nature.....the history of rock and roll, eh? :wink:
I dont mind if the school is public or private, or covered in ivy :laugh:

www.fastweb.com

A good place to look for scholarships. :up:

Also, consider majoring in something other than education and look into alternative certification programs after you graduate from college. Some of those programs offer loan forgiveness, education awards for master's degrees...the benefits can be excellent.

Merc said:

That is not heavly taxed! :no:

A pack of cigarets costs around 10€ here :huh: ... and no, I do not smoke!

yeah, i know cigarettes in the Scandinavian countries are even more expensive, even more heavly taxed. I was talking generally. A packet of Marlboro lights in Latvia, for example, will cost you £0.75 instead of £5. The cigarettes here are still heavly taxed in relation to most places....not that I'm complaining now that I'm an ex smoker :) (aslong as that tax is getting spent in the right places - i.e. our national health service. that's a topic for FYM possibly)

this talk of cigarettes makes me want....a cigarette! :wink:

Last edited:
pax said:
www.fastweb.com

A good place to look for scholarships. :up:

Also, consider majoring in something other than education and look into alternative certification programs after you graduate from college. Some of those programs offer loan forgiveness, education awards for master's degrees...the benefits can be excellent.

:yes: Tim's sister suggested the same thing to me and it sounded like a good idea.
Plus, with all the history in the area, if I was a history major I might be able to get a job at a smithsonian museum or something :shrug:
At least I would have options.
I could always go with my other interest (besides being a rock star that is)
and go to beauty school to learn hair :D
:eyebrow:

:reject:

*looks ashamedly around*

Im watching Oprah.
I feel like a housewife already :laugh:
A little bit ago I got done finding places to put all my new pots and pans, went to the grocery store, and fired up the dishwasher.
Now Im watching Op-rah

pax said:
I'm leaving work and going to dinner shortly. :)

Ewen, if you're still around...I'll miss you!

hope you have a lovely dinner and chat with Bill. cya later.

:kiss: :hug: :heart:

will miss you too

**Hands Ewen a chewing-gum cigaret from her seat in the bar**

Here you go! :wink:

**Goes behind bar and makes a r&c for Tara**

Here sista, this one's on me! :D:up:

All that talk 'bout paying for college... :huh:

Merc said:
**Hands Ewen a chewing-gum cigaret from her seat in the bar**

Here you go! :wink:

**Goes behind bar and makes a r&c for Tara**

Here sista, this one's on me! :D:up:

All that talk 'bout paying for college... :huh:

*peels herself away from Oprah and goes to drink her R&C at the bar counter*

:dance: pretty soon tim will be off work!

mmm, thanks Merc.

* tries to light chewing-gum cigarette *

:scratch:

ewen said:
mmm, thanks Merc.

* tries to light chewing-gum cigarette *

:scratch:

**snif, snif**

:ohmy: EWEN!!!

**Reaches behind bar for the bucket with icecubes and throws it in Ewen's face**

:shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom