'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Put simply, this just doesn't get enough recognition. Probably because it is the last song and some people turn off cds before they get to the end.

BUT HOW GOOD IS THIS SONG!

I love the quietish verses and the mysterious music, its' just so good. I love this part -
Go lightly down your darkened way
Go lightly underground
I'll be there in another day
I won't rest until your...found

And when the music goes heavier after the 'oh come back above, where there is only love, only love' part.

And then the 'my oh my's.

Sorry everyone, but this is in my favourite four songs on ATYCLB along with Beautiful Day, Walk On and Kite.

This was the bonus import track for ATYCLB, right? I wish they'd put it in the U.S copy, would have preferred that instead of Grace closing the album.

mobvok said:
This was the bonus import track for ATYCLB, right? I wish they'd put it in the U.S copy, would have preferred that instead of Grace closing the album.

You took the fuckin' words right out of my mouth! :wink:

Ground Beneath... is infinitely better than Grace. It's the best track on ATYCLB and they didn't include it in the US version! Why does the US always get the shaft when it comes to song selection on albums and compilations??? :angry:

Another ditto. We wuz robbed!

This song makes me :drool: :drool: :drool:

I read Salman Rushdie's book of the same name (and the book which contains the lyrics to this song, as written by the main character), and it was ... okay. Not nearly as good as the song. :wink:

One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Great job from Salman Rushdie with the lyrics, and the instrumental fits perfectly with the lyrics.

I have the live performance from the Italian Television... it's awesome... so emotional!

Anyone mind doing a ysi of this? I haven't heard it. My ATYCLB was not the import.

inmyplace13 said:
Anyone mind doing a ysi of this? I haven't heard it. My ATYCLB was not the import.

:ohmy: I was gonna ask the exact same thing! I only have the video on the 90s DVD.

http://s42.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=290ACDYTWGQEZ23KZOXQEQJCW4

First time I ever heard this song was on the 90-00 DVD. I immediately fell in love. I love this song. I definitely agree that it should have been on ATYCLB instead of Grace.

Zootlesque said:

Ground Beneath... is infinitely better than Grace. It's the best track on ATYCLB and they didn't include it in the US version! Why does the US always get the shaft when it comes to song selection on albums and compilations??? :angry:

You're right, when I posted this I only remembered Grace as rather unmemorable. I just listened to it again....and it really muffles the album. The album meanders off kind of aimlessly. All I Want Is You, Love Is Blindness, The Wanderer, Wake Up Dead Man, all have a kind of snappy punch to them that encapsulates their respective albums. Grace? Not so much.

This song is amazing. Especially Edge's guitar while Bono is singing, "Let me love you true...":drool: I think this is my favorite U2 song. Complete genius.

Thanks a lot for the link, Becky! Listening to it right now... :heart: this song so much... the lyrics and esp. the music!!!

Might have done well on the Modern Rock charts here in the US. Nothing else U2 has done recently has made an impact on this chart. Gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Zootlesque said:

As usual, I agree with you completely :wink:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is in my top 5 U2 songs - I know that's crazy, but to me this song is amazing. Beautiful. Especially the end, you know, when everything really kicks in (around 2:28). Words cannot even describe how beautiful it is...Edge's guitar is gorgeous, Adam's bass, the drums, the my-oh-my's, then the "let me love you true..."

This song is a masterpiece.

What, no props for Lanois' pedal steel? Best part of the whole song.

A great, great song. But can we please not refer to it as a part of ATYCLB? Its real home is the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, which, btw, contains some other extraordinary music.

Also, I have a question: Has anyone ever heard a live recording of this song from before it was even released, that Bono and Edge did alone, acousically, on some radio show? It is really gorgeous, even though they only do half the song.

I'll ysi it tomorrow if anyone is interested.

The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack is amazing. Not only does it have The Ground Beneath her Feet, but it also contains the criminally underrated Stateless. Two of my all-time favorite U2 songs... :drool:

grbounds said:
The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack is amazing. Not only does it have The Ground Beneath her Feet, but it also contains the criminally underrated Stateless. Two of my all-time favorite U2 songs... :drool:

Definetly. PLus "Never Let ME Go" is a brilliant tune. Love it.

"Ground Beneath her Feet" is a great song. The climax toward the end when the music comes crashing in is :drool: :drool:

Ground Beneath Her Feet is my favourite song on the All That You Can't Leave Behind album - and it is on the album, I'm Australian, so I only know this album with Ground on it and like it that way. :drool:

beli said:
Ground Beneath Her Feet is my favourite song on the All That You Can't Leave Behind album - and it is on the album, I'm Australian, so I only know this album with Ground on it and like it that way. :drool:

Same, i got the 12-track album. It's a great way to end it. :wink: I feel sorry for those who didn't get it, Grace is such a bad way to end an album, in fact, i dont think grace is even worthy of a b-side. it sucks so much.

namkcuR said:
Also, I have a question: Has anyone ever heard a live recording of this song from before it was even released, that Bono and Edge did alone, acousically, on some radio show? It is really gorgeous, even though they only do half the song.

I'll ysi it tomorrow if anyone is interested. [/B]

I'm very interested! :yes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom