The Crystal Ballroom Admiration Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's always a fuss about something that's not on the album proper.

But this song manages to do something that most "retro" songs fail. It actually sounds like it could be from the 80's...but the chorus is today.

And I like that it sounds like they're genuinely having a good time. I like Edge's unpolished solo.

This is a good song. I wish U2 released more songs like this without always worrying about "The Big Hit Song" , the "Vertigo" the "Beautiful Day." Instead, Let's all just have a good time!

I agree totally with that last paragraph, I've said that to my friends several times.

And they have a lot of songs that fit that mold and some would even have the potential to become that big hit, but they always leave them behind and end up as b-sides.

I notice that because I can't think of another band with so many b-sides as great as u2's, but also that's the reason why we have to wait that much between albums. You can listen to almost any other band and you'll realize that several of their album tracks would've been bsides for u2.

I listened to this back to back with Miss You and whoever said that it was in that vein was balls on accurate.

U2 decided to put a song as good as Miss You as a bonus track instead of on the album, cause relevance, or something.

And think of how perfect this song would be coming out of an encore. They could have some big video shit thing they always so and then as the crowd starts getting amped up like "OMGz this is so surprising... maybe the u2z might play more son gs because hey, they wouldn't end with a video rite?!? An encore?? I bet its totally because we were loud!!"

... and then at the video and arena can go black and they come in with the "ooooooooooo oh oooooo" intro, only a little extended, and then BAM... Ballroom disco light show spectacular

t8zvc.gif

And think of how perfect this song would be coming out of an encore. They could have some big video shit thing they always so and then as the crowd starts getting amped up... and then at the video and arena can go black and they come in with the "ooooooooooo oh oooooo" intro, only a little extended, and then BAM... Ballroom disco light show spectacular

I like it!

... and then at the video and arena can go black and they come in with the "ooooooooooo oh oooooo" intro, only a little extended, and then BAM... Ballroom disco light show spectacular

:up:

Or they could just release it after EBW, brand the whole shebang The Crystal Ballroom Tour, and do what you described, to open the show. :D :wink:

Setlist looks like this, to start:

1. The Crystal Ballroom
2. Invisible
3. EBW
(everything else)

I listened to this back to back with Miss You and whoever said that it was in that vein was balls on accurate.

U2 decided to put a song as good as Miss You as a bonus track instead of on the album, cause relevance, or something.

And think of how perfect this song would be coming out of an encore. They could have some big video shit thing they always so and then as the crowd starts getting amped up like "OMGz this is so surprising... maybe the u2z might play more son gs because hey, they wouldn't end with a video rite?!? An encore?? I bet its totally because we were loud!!"

I hope U2 hires you to help design the setlist. This is a brilliant move!

The "single" of EBW is already everywhere in both its versions. Long may it live however it pleases!

This sleeper on the album for me has gone and taken over! Conquer on!

This makes no sense: if EBW becomes a big hit, it will be as its full band incarnation...and therefore they would play it full band.

Sent from my ass crack

They released Crazy Tonight as a single... and played it as a dance track live.

Alas... I think either the already recorded acoustic track will be the one sent to radios, or a newly recorded one... and it will always be played this way.

I'd prefer the full band version, too... I just think they're in love with this version and are going to milk it dry.

Hmm. Good point.

Did you read the quote where Bono says it was Rick Rubin that got them thinking about doing stuff acoustically? :banghead:

Sent from my ass crack

Yea I'm thinking Boner missed Rubin's point...

Rubin wanted them to have songs that could be played acoustic BEFORE the recording process began, not to deconstruct everything AFTER the production.

Alas... Crystal Ballroom is still the tits.

It drives me crazy that CB and LH aren't on the SOI that everyone else has. They've become so precious with their music...rework, rework, delayed release, afraid to put anything ballsy, different or challenging on their record.

I love them; I'll always love them, but god DAMN they piss me off sometimes.

Can't stop spinning The Crystal Ballroom (Original on CD and 12" on Vinyl) Such a stellar track! Thanks to Modest Mouse and his input plus a lot of listening to The Rolling Stones singing "Miss You".

Shake your booty to this one lovey dovey! :rockon:

I listened to Spiderman soundtrack today and I found out 2 things:
1) most of the stuff is amazing and it´s really worth it to listen
2) song called A Freak Like Me is similiar to Crystal Ballroom, it has the same clubby, disco feeling, with groove, the structure is very alike with cool sang verses and anthemic chorus, ooohs at the end insted of the last chorus and instrumental outro, it is really like a baby Crystal Ballroom :)

Hmm. Good point.

Did you read the quote where Bono says it was Rick Rubin that got them thinking about doing stuff acoustically? :banghead:

Sent from my ass crack

Yes. Still think they should have a go with him producing some day.

Rick Rubin, who produced a pile of mostly unreleased U2 songs a few years back, had a major influence on this album, despite not actually working on it. Rubin told Bono that U2 use their skill at sculpting unique soundscapes "to disguise the fact that you don't have a song." He pushed them to write traditionally structured tunes that would work with, say, voice and piano.

It didn't work out with Rubin due to them not having a couch for him to lie on during production.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Yes. Still think they should have a go with him producing some day.

Rick Rubin, who produced a pile of mostly unreleased U2 songs a few years back, had a major influence on this album, despite not actually working on it. Rubin told Bono that U2 use their skill at sculpting unique soundscapes "to disguise the fact that you don't have a song." He pushed them to write traditionally structured tunes that would work with, say, voice and piano.

UGH!!!

U2Girl, where was that quote from?

Back
Top Bottom