The Crystal Ballroom Admiration Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The people who listen to top 40 radio just aren't U2 fans. They could write a song better than Bad and Streets combined and it would probably peak at like 47.

Which is an extra reason for the band to stop trying to force hit-formulated-revival-of-eureka-moments songs.
Maybe if they start releasing unconventional songs (for their standards) as singles - which is, if they run away from a wasted formula... Maybe they'll start having hits or moderate hits.

Which is an extra reason for the band to stop trying to force hit-formulated-revival-of-eureka-moments songs.

Maybe if they start releasing unconventional songs (for their standards) as singles - which is, if they run away from a wasted formula... Maybe they'll start having hits or moderate hits.

Numb is their only unconventional song that was a "hit", maybe Lemon. They had clout left over from AB, that's not really going to happen now.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Numb is their only unconventional song that was a "hit", maybe Lemon. They had clout left over from AB, that's not really going to happen now.

I'm talking about today's U2. You probably, most likely, disagree with me (as with every little thing I post), but to me there's a U2-'til-1997 and a U2-post-pop. You're reffering the first one, I'm talking about the former.

Boots was unconventional. It was a disaster.

What is your point?

I'm one of the few "Boots" defender here, but "Boots"... unconventional?
It's instrumentally far more interesting than its "Vertigo" older sister for instance (a better riff/bassline, the drum track in the verses, some aspects in the structure here and there...), but sonically it's not such a huge departure from the fast-pop-rockers of the past 15 years.

My point is: was "Magnificent" a hit? What about "All Because Of You"? "Crazy Tonight"? Now "The Miracle"?
My point is that maybe there's a fatigue in songs that are a pastiche of the their own soundscapes, that emulate their own traps, and maybe - even though U2 thinks that they need to hold their core audience - the radios and the general public is tired of emulation of the eureka formula.
There's some sentence in the Zoo Tv advertisement that was something like (can't remember the exact words, or maybe it's from Zooropa and not Zoo Tv) saying that you can't sell the same product to the same public over and over again.

I'm talking about today's U2. You probably, most likely, disagree with me (as with every little thing I post), but to me there's a U2-'til-1997 and a U2-post-pop. You're reffering the first one, I'm talking about the former.

Um, no... on every front. I don't disagree with you on everything, I don't disagree with you just for the sake of. Stop playing victim.

The truth is your comment has very little backing. U2 has been "unconventional" at times, but very little when it comes to singles.

My point is that maybe there's a fatigue in songs that are a pastiche of the their own soundscapes, that emulate their own traps,
I do listen to the radio sometimes.
I can't say I hear any evidence of something not becoming a hit because of sounding like a pastiche of something else.
Quite the opposite really.

That's why I feel the acoustic EBW probably would do better than the album version (which I prefer). People rightfully feel it sounds like an Adele song and that can only bode well for it, if you ask me.

That's also why I don't think Crystal Ballroom would do as well as people here want to believe.
If that song is indeed what people want, then surely Broken Bells would be the biggest band in the world right now?

The only 'leftfield' song with a chance would be The Troubles.
And that's because of Lykke Li mostly.
That sort of use of female vocals does seem to do well.

I´m up for that!

Um, no... on every front. I don't disagree with you on everything, I don't disagree with you just for the sake of. Stop playing victim.

The truth is your comment has very little backing. U2 has been "unconventional" at times, but very little when it comes to singles.

So, stop bullying. Simple as that.
My comment has very little backing. I guess you do not even read what I post, you just need to reply something for the sake of replying. And yours is good, eh? Yours is very well grounded... :wink:

I'm one of the few "Boots" defender here, but "Boots"... unconventional?
It's instrumentally far more interesting than its "Vertigo" older sister for instance (a better riff/bassline, the drum track in the verses, some aspects in the structure here and there...), but sonically it's not such a huge departure from the fast-pop-rockers of the past 15 years.

Yes, we see ABABCABCDB formatted songs all the time.

Silly me for considering it to be a departure from the normal ABABCB format that the majority of pop songs and EVERY OTHER U2 LEAD SINGLE EVER followed.

My apologies. I'll never make that mistake again.

Silly me for considering it to be a departure from the normal ABABCB format that the majority of pop songs and EVERY OTHER U2 LEAD SINGLE EVER followed.

I think it's interesting that everybody ranks/qualifies the songs based on different things.

You're considering the structure, I never pay attention to the structure.
I've seen people comparing two songs because of the use of instruments, the chords, the tempo, whatever.

I usually pay more attention to the "mood" of the song and sort the songs in groups based on that ("angry" u2, "happy" u2, "relax" u2, "serious" u2, whatever).

Did you feel bullied by that response?

This is the structure of what U2 song exactly?

Boots.

A - the future needs...
B - sexy boots...
A - you free me from...
B - sexy boots...
C - you don't know how...
A - that's someone's stuff...
B - sexy boots...
D - let me in the sound...
B - sexy boots.

Boots.

A - the future needs...
B - sexy boots...
A - you free me from...
B - sexy boots...
A - that's someone's stuff...
B - sexy boots...
D - let me in the sound...
B - sexy boots.

When you have little pre-chorus with the same harmony "Sexy Boots" musicians don´t usually consider it as a different section, so Boots are classic example of ABABCB, nevertheless it is chromatic harmony that makes it outstanding, quite rare in euroathlantic popmusic scene

To even bring up that steaming pile of horse crap of a song, one which never ever seen the light of day(boots). In an admiration thread for such a great song as Crystal is, is borderline heresy... Everyones church will be called...... and don't give me crap about context.....

Boots= a relatively low time for me as a U2 fan, the song is abysmal, an abomination a dead skunks ass that first crawled up another dead skunks ass to die.

To even bring up that steaming pile of horse crap of a song, one which never ever seen the light of day(boots). In an admiration thread for such a great song as Crystal is, is borderline heresy... Everyones church will be called...... and don't give me crap about context.....

Boots= a relatively low time for me as a U2 fan, the song is abysmal, an abomination a dead skunks ass that first crawled up another dead skunks ass to die.

What that guy said

258612.jpg

Dunno why so much agressiveness.
Didn't say it was silly or something like it (you said it yourself).
I only disagreed from it and justified why.

Still, there are plenty pop songs (since the beggining of pop/rock) that have pre-choruses that do not necessarily lead into the chorus until after the second verse, songs that have breakdowns like the "Let me in the sound" type that debouch into a last chorus. There's nothing groundbreaking or unusual in the song structure.

This is damn funny

:applaud:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom