The all-things-tennis thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is anyone watching the U.S. Open?

Djokovic is on the brink of history on multiple fonts today. If he wins the Final today, he will not only pass Fed and Nadal(with whom he is tied) to become the all-time men's grand slam leader(with 21, third overall in the open era behind Serena and Graf), but he will become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969, and the first player of either gender since Graf in 1988, to complete the calendar year grand slam.

I would've preferred for Nadal to be the one to pass Fed, but a calendar year grand slam is very impressive, no doubt about it.

Good.

In the meantime, Australia's Dylan Alcott, who plays Quad Singles, just became the second man after Rod Laver to win the Grand Slam twice, in addition to the Gold he won at the Paralympics a week ago.

What an idiot. What is his reasoning for not getting the vaccine? It's just a shot. Just get the fucking shot. Baffling.

Glad the Australian government is standing up and boldly saying, "yes, if you are rich and famous, you're above the law."

We're all furious. He hasn't revealed his reasoning, but he never got the vaccine in the first place, right? And I don't think he'd had an exemption before that. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I want to trust in the two "independent" panels that granted him the exemption and think that they wouldn't put Novax above everyone else. He's never disclosed his vaxx status, which means he is very, very likely unvaccinated, and he's been publicly anti-vaxx and undermined health protocols, so fuck him.

If you had a legitimate medical reason for not being vaccinated, surely you would just publicly state that. Some are saying because he got COVID in July, he might have been advised he doesn't have to get the vaccine within six months. But if that was the reason, just say it. Don't fucking preach that people should "feel love & respect towards all beings on this wonderful planet". Go fuck yourself cunt. Let's see how well you go when you realise everyone hates you and no one even wants to be near you.

His team are taking it to Federal Court, saying the deportation is unlawful.

Meanwhile... a very important element of the story. He's being detained in the same building that the Australian government has kept refugees locked up for nearly a decade.

[tweet]1478924188597424129[/tweet]
[tweet]1478935207981957124[/tweet]

I am surprised. It didn't really seem like there was much grounds to deny his visa? Or is there more than just that he could be a social hazard?

Dont get me wrong. Fuck him.

It's official, he's gone. Thank fuck. It's already completely overshadowed the warm-up to the event and results in lead-up series, like Ash Barty and Thanasi Kokkinakis winning ATP and WTA titles (Thanasi making the semi in another) and Andy Murray making an ATP final.

However, it's terrifying that our immigration department has this much power. If they're willing to do this to a rich, high profile man - and I definitely believe politics has much to do with it because our conservative government are facing an election this year and their support is nosediving because of the fucking horrendous job they're doing with COVID and climate change - then what will they do to refugees?

Gotta say, as much as the Djokovic-Nadal-Federer stranglehold on tennis has been around for so long, I'm not that inspired by the top male seeds. Admittedly I haven't watched much of them (AO is really the only time I watch tennis) but I hope to find some favourites.

Back
Top Bottom