Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still like it. I haven't really cared for other Sorkin shows, but this one is sticking for me.

No, the sketch bits aren't funny, but I'm not watching the show to get uproarious sketch bits.

I'm going to check out 30 Rock tomorrow night, too.

Mmm, Sting.

Oh, I'm sorry, was there an episode of Studio 60 built around Sting? Because all I saw was Sting.

:wink:

There could be a double funeral by Christmas for both 30 Rock and Studio 60...

The nielson numbers for both shows are horrific. They both cost a fortune to produce and NBC is slashing costs. I would expect the ax to come sooner than later.

Hey, for Christmas sweeps both shows could do holiday themed shows in Chicago and all cast members could end up dying of some rare and fatal disease on the set of ER.:hmm:

I like both shows :grumpy:

Studio 60 is good, but how far can it really go, honestly?

13-22 episodes is probably enough for me.

Westport said:
Hey, for Christmas sweeps both shows could do holiday themed shows in Chicago and all cast members could end up dying of some rare and fatal disease on the set of ER.:hmm:

:lol: Awesome idea!

I haven't seen 30 Rock, but I've really been enjoying Studio 60. I'm with LMP though - I don't know how far they could take this show. If it lasts a season, I'll be happy.

I always find it interesting that even if a show has 7 million viewers, it's still not good enough for the network to keep on the air. Of course I don't know the cost of the production itself and revenue it makes (or doesn't) from advertisers :shrug: :reject:

Lila64 said:
I always find it interesting that even if a show has 7 million viewers, it's still not good enough for the network to keep on the air. Of course I don't know the cost of the production itself and revenue it makes (or doesn't) from advertisers :shrug: :reject:

it costs something like 3 million to produce per episode right? or 7 million?

I love the show, and hope they don't fill it with another Deal or No Deal.

According to nypost.com:

STUMBLING 'STUDIO' SKIPS A BEAT
'FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS' TAKES ITS PLACE
By DON KAPLAN
Aaron Sorkin's behind-the-scenes TV show about a TV show is losing its time slot for a week.
October 20, 2006 -- NBC told "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" not to show up for work next week.

The network yesterday quietly gave the ailing show's Monday night timeslot to "Friday Night Lights" for one night.

"Lights" has also been chronically low-rated since its debut last month, but the critics'-darling drama about a small Texas town and its high school football team is going to get a second chance at catching on.

The same remains to be said for "Studio 60." It is only one night off for the show about a show, but it is not a vote of confidence from the network.

"Studio 60" had scheduled a repeat that night anyway.

Network officials insist it's not the end - nor even the beginning of the end - for "Studio 60."

"It's not a disaster," says an NBC source. "You have to look into the quality of the audience. This is the type of show that really targets and delivers affluent, upscale viewers."

But they do not say what will happen if "Lights" substantially improves in the "Studio 60" timeslot.

NBC insiders insist that, while both new dramas may be struggling, "Studio 60" is somewhat better off than "Friday Night Lights."

They note that among young, affluent viewers - those prized by NBC - "Studio 60" is actually outscoring the rest of the network overall.

"Studio 60" is loosely based on NBC's long-running late night sketch comedy show, "Saturday Night Live" and has been dramatically losing viewers since its debut episode last month.

At around $3 million per episode, it is among the most expensive shows on TV.

That is due in no small part to its star-powered cast which includes Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford, Steven Weber and D.L. Hughley.

NBC was so eager to be back in business with "West Wing" creator Aaron Sorkin last year that it committed to 13 episodes of "Studio 60" before even one frame of film had been shot.

So far this season, "Studio 60" has been averaging about 10 million viewers, but the audience has been dropping steadily each week.

This week, it was down to an all-time low of about 7.7 million.

"Friday Night Lights" has been averaging about 6.5 million viewers for the season to date. This week, it was up slightly.

I would much rather have our Studio 60 than another moronic game show like Deal or No Deal.
Who watches that shit? The Dorks in North Butt Fuck?

:lmao: And I knew I'd get a response from you :wink:

I've never watched DOND, and do not plan to. EVER

Dorks in North Butt Fuck - :lol: - Post of the day :up:

UberBeaver said:

It's well written, but it's boring. Nothing happens. And I don't like the characters.
You hit the nail on the head. I really wanted to like this show but was I find it to be a big pile of meh. It's rather dull and I don't give a rip about any of the characters.

UberBeaver said:

It's well written, but it's boring. Nothing happens. And I don't like the characters.

The show is a social commentary. It's not about plot, it's in large part about philosophy and examining the way we think about certain things - often times explosive things like racism, sexism, eliteism, the media, etc etc.

True enough, but a show needs a plot to help examine those types of things, or else viewers lose interest quickly.

The best show on TV that dives head first into controversial social issues, and have an excellent plot to go along with it, is far and away Battlestar Galactica.

And I know UberBeaver is with me on that one... :wink:

namkcuR said:

The show is a social commentary. It's not about plot, it's in large part about philosophy and examining the way we think about certain things - often times explosive things like racism, sexism, eliteism, the media, etc etc.

The episodes I saw dealt with a stolen joke, a guy caught doing coke and being "demoted", a guy in love with an ex, and an exec with a past DWI. When do they get to the "explosive" stuff? Let me know, I'll start watching again.

Phanan - BSG! High Five, buddy! BAM!

This just got cancelled right? It had so much potential and hasn't been delivering. No free drinks from whoever it was that bet on no second season :sad:

corianderstem said:
It hasn't been cancelled yet, no.

Then why the :censored: did I turn on my TV last night at 10 p.m. Eastern time hoping to see it but instead saw Friday Night Lights? If they do this again, I'm writing NBC ... :rant:

:uhoh: There still might be a little hope for this one yet. We ran into a manager of one of the stars at the movies
tonight and she said the show is being re-formulated to focus a lot more on the outside lives of the characters and less and less about the show itself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom