Straya thread part 4 - culling the chazzwazzers population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hey, I see Axver was at the Melbourne Chvrches sideshow. What'd you think?

It was really awesome, better than their first tour last year in August (not to imply that was anything less than a good time either). They've got some fun stage banter, the lighting was really effective, and they really brought it on songs like "Lies", "Night Sky", "Strong Hand", and "By the Throat". I was stoked that "Now Is Not the Time" was still in the set; it was funny whenever they did EP/bonus track songs, because it was so obvious how few people even knew them. The big surprise for me was "Under the Tide"; I forget which of the blokes sings it, but he was really off-key back in August, just jerking around singing awkwardly, but this time he really nailed it.

Did you see them up your way?

Conversely the ex-DLP/Santamaria set can be 'soft' (if you want to put it that way), on economic issues. I mean, they were the 'DLP' for a reason.

I'm not sure any of this stuff has much bearing on Tony today. His government is showing itself to be an extended revenge exercise for losing 2007, leavened with a bit of imported Tea Party/culture wars hoo-hah.

Austerity, baby.

This is the thing that's perhaps surprised me a bit - Tone seems to be showing absolutely no DLP/Santamaria influence when it comes to economics. It's as if he's trying to outdo the Turnbulls of this world. They must be pissing off the Nats with this too; proof that the Nats really don't have any influence left whatsoever.

I've been living away from Australia for just over four years now, and long ago stopped following Australian news/politics in a day to day sense. It's really jarring to 'check in' and just see the changes that way - the big bullet points, rather than the smaller day to day drip, drip, if that makes sense. Plus, it's starting to naturally leak back more into my day to day via things like the Guardian (my go-to UK news site) now covering so much from Australia, and in general Abbott Govt. stories popping up in the news here far more often than anything from Australia did under Gillard/Rudd. It's a real shame.

What's hard to tell is how the electorate is feeling about it all. Their polling is pretty bad, but you never know. Do the people who voted for all this... are they having regrets, do they like it, are the 'bad' things just beyond their comprehension (don't care)? I suspect that if he can pull some Howard-like pre-election stunts he might keep going.

I notice this to a lesser extent just when I'm in New Zealand for a week or two and don't check the Aussie news too much. A few days away from the circus is enough to show just how completely deranged so much of Australian political discourse is.

Not that I have any more insight into how the electorate feels, given that I'm surrounded by friends and coworkers who are either ALP members or too left-wing to join the ALP. Whoever these people are who support the current lurch to the right, I feel like I'm doing a good job not knowing them. Suppose this is affected by living in Victoria, where support for the Gillard government was strongest.

Today Tonight axed!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that they've kept it in Adelaide and Perth. That's a damning indictment. :lol:

The nationals are like a battered spouse that says 'more, please'.

And just incidentally the 'acting slash deputy prime minister' was the local shire chairman when I was a kid (aka mayor sorta-kinda).

The really bizarre thing right now is that the Nationals probably have almost as much in common with the ALP and even the Greens than they do with the Liberals, in terms of economic attitudes anyway. It seems to just be their social conservatism that's keeping them rusted into the Coalition.

I'm starting to wonder if the Nats really fucked themsleves over by merging with the Libs in Queensland; that was the one state where they were the major player of the two and now they've been effectively subsumed. Or at least that's how it seems from my outside perspective.

Floating round Tumblr.

tumblr_n0gv0fFa6F1qaba6fo1_500.jpg

The really bizarre thing right now is that the Nationals probably have almost as much in common with the ALP and even the Greens than they do with the Liberals, in terms of economic attitudes anyway. It seems to just be their social conservatism that's keeping them rusted into the Coalition.

I'm starting to wonder if the Nats really fucked themsleves over by merging with the Libs in Queensland; that was the one state where they were the major player of the two and now they've been effectively subsumed. Or at least that's how it seems from my outside perspective.

The Nationals - historically - had only anticommunism in common with the Liberals. Now? They are fucked. Eaten away at the margins by Tony Windsor-esque independents, subsumed at the core by the Liberals... there ain't much hope for them.

In fact, it's only a few cultural dominos keeping the Greens from taking their role. In practice I have my doubts, but there's no particular reason why the Greens couldn't go rural in a big way. Christine Milne has tried. Bob Brown did too, to an extent.

One thing is for sure, the whole world can't stop thinking and talking about Schapelle Corby. Yep, everywhere people ask, what's the latest on Schapelle Corby.

Schapelle Corby, guys.

How can that possibly happen to someone who's moved to Brunswick and is surrounded by awesome beer!

It was really awesome, better than their first tour last year in August (not to imply that was anything less than a good time either). They've got some fun stage banter, the lighting was really effective, and they really brought it on songs like "Lies", "Night Sky", "Strong Hand", and "By the Throat". I was stoked that "Now Is Not the Time" was still in the set; it was funny whenever they did EP/bonus track songs, because it was so obvious how few people even knew them. The big surprise for me was "Under the Tide"; I forget which of the blokes sings it, but he was really off-key back in August, just jerking around singing awkwardly, but this time he really nailed it.

Did you see them up your way?

Saw them at Laneway, missed the headline show (a sellout). Agreed that they've improved since August, Lauren is more confident and sample dude really got the crowd going during Under the Tide. Would have liked Night Sky as I imagine that takes off live these days!

Its hard to believe the bored Australian media is still talking about Schapelle whatsherface?

Kim beazley was right when he didnt remember the name of that model that got busted in singapore, "oh, yeh... Michelle Lee or someone right?"

And Schapelle has all the Orzy gurls syding by her syde by appearing on the cover of New Idea magazine

Is it some travesty of justice that all the men's mags - FHM, playboy, Ralph have folded, and brainwashing crap for women like New Idea, and Who still gets sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom