Stand Up Comedy Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fell in love with this song tonight. The groove is amazing, I love the guitar riff, and Bono's lyrics are not as cringe-worthy as I had thought. :wink:
I was jumping around to that song.
It should be released as a single.

I guess hanging out with Page paid off (also see Breathe). Best Edge song.

If "Crumbs" had a rockier, more fun sister song, this would be it.

You know what I just noticed about this song that I really like? The Eight Miles High-style guitar work at 1:43-1:53. As a fan of The Byrds, that kicked my ass. It's far more noticeable on speakers than headphones.

I don't mind the hook at all, i think its lovely. However, it's been a very long time since i heard such a generic verse and riff.

just telling the truth. but i can see why you all like it.

I guess hanging out with Page paid off (also see Breathe). Best Edge song.

If "Crumbs" had a rockier, more fun sister song, this would be it.

Not only is SUC rockier and more fun than Crumbs, it's actually well-written!

i have not read all the posts about this song but it has a "Holy Joe" feel to it.

I have been trying to figure out where I hear that guitar at the end and started going through my itunes from POP era, and bam...same riff at the end of Holy Joe...you nailed it.

I have been trying to figure out where I hear that guitar at the end and started going through my itunes from POP era, and bam...same riff at the end of Holy Joe...you nailed it.

I've thought the song sounds like The Fly meets Holy Joe since the first time I heard it.

Two additional comments:

I love the part at 2:16-2:24 where Bono is humming in the background. It sounds great.

The other thing is, does anyone else think 2:25-2:48(the solo and the 'god is love' stuff), in addition being reminiscent of Holy Joe, sounds kind of like Jane's Addiction? I mean, not any particular song, just in style, it sounds like something Jane's Addiction could have done.

I love this song.

still trying to get over the lyrics, still don't like them. the guitar by edge is awesome.

but thing is...from 2:25 until the end of the song....:drool::drool::drool:

the lyrics aren't as cheesy as I thought after a few listens, so its getting better

The God is love part with the harmonies sounds like Oasis to me more than anything.

yeah i hear Oasis all the way through this... Might just be the retro thing...
Struggling with tracks 5,6 and 7 at the moment but i think they are maybe just yet to click..

The rest is utterly sublime...

does this give anyone else a little bit of a Red Hot Chili Peppers vibe or is it just me hehe?

i really love this song, super funky stuff...

The song is definitely growing on me, and that's something, because I normally love songs immediately or not at all. I love the Edge solo and the organ, it's a little creepy, also love that there is not so much singing and more instrumentals. Love the beginning, very atmospheric. Some of the verses and the commanding chorus still sounds a little strange to my ears, but there's so much to discover about that tune and it's really exciting.

Are Edge and Bono both singing at times in the verses or is that just Bono doing his vocals twice ?

This is gonna be INSANE live...

the "come on people, stand up..." is gonna bring down the stadium

"Stand Up" is my favorite song on the album too (although I still love GOYB and its placement on the album).

I feel this could be a great single. However, I want U2 to release "Magnificent" (edited for radio) first. I think a slower, more classic U2 style song will help NLOTH. Then throw out "Stand Up", which I think could be a great hit. (Of course, if they go with "Crazy", I'll be happy with that too).

I'm actually glad "Stand Up" wasn't a first single because I fear it might have been a bit dismissed (as was GOYB). Sometimes first singles don't always take (see Coldplay for recent example - second song became huge hit).

I can't stop thinking this song was edited for the album and there's a longer version out there with a massive edge solo.. The song has a major bass interlude at 2:46, breaks high into a squeel that you'd think would cut into a huge guitar solo. Instead at 2:56 it abruptly breaks back into "Soul Rock" and the chorus.

I'm hoping that guitar solo did happen.. and we hear it someday.

I can't stop thinking this song was edited for the album and there's a longer version out there with a massive edge solo.. The song has a major bass interlude at 2:46, breaks high into a squeel that you'd think would cut into a huge guitar solo. Instead at 2:56 it abruptly breaks back into "Soul Rock" and the chorus.

I'm hoping that guitar solo did happen.. and we hear it someday.

I thought the interlude worked well leading into "Soul Rock".

Even if you are right though, I wouldn't count on hearing it any time soon. Other than the alternate Bomb versions, U2 haven't exactly been big on releasing pre-album versions of songs that made their albums. I'm still waiting to hear the version of The Wanderer with Bono on vocals.

I thought the interlude worked well leading into "Soul Rock".

Even if you are right though, I wouldn't count on hearing it any time soon. Other than the alternate Bomb versions, U2 haven't exactly been big on releasing pre-album versions of songs that made their albums. I'm still waiting to hear the version of The Wanderer with Bono on vocals.

Me too on the Wanderer. Well, they released Native Son, Xanax, SYCMIOYO, ABOY, Always, two version of LWTSH, and already NLOTH2... A guy can hope.

while this song is one of my least favorites from this album, i will say that from 2:30 to 3:20.....:drool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom