Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm I was wa behind, but now I heard the song Rise Above..the idols final.

I have to say it's...

HORRIBLE!!!

sorry

have you heard the studio version?

I have to say it's...

GORGEOUS!!!

sorry :D

re. the itunes clips, i do love Patrick Page's vocal performance, sounds very strong :up:

also TV Carpio - in TOTD she comes across almost Kate Bush-y - sounds beautiful... :up::up:

omg, A Freak Like Me though? wtf is that all about? it's like a cross between Village People and Wham! i'm not saying whether that's a very good or very bad thing though :D

B&E will be speaking at the 92nd Street Y in manhattan Monday

92Y’s Broadway Talks is proud to announce a very special conversation with Bono and The Edge, on the eve of the celebrated opening of their new Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.

Join us as moderator Jordan Roth discusses varied topics from the making of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark to their extraordinary careers as musicians.

after the game i shall invite them upstairs for a little pickup basketball, as the 92Y is the gym i go to :hi5:

I had downloaded the studio version of Rise Above last week and only now got around to listening to it.

God DAMN, I am so fucking over this fucking "loudness war" thing. The low end is so distorted. As soon as the intro was over and the big kick came in, it hurt my ears. And I didn't have my iPod's EQ on. Fuck that shit. Why don't any artists step up and say "you know what, that sounds like shit. Fix it."

"If The World Should End" is a beautiful song.

yeah, it's really stunning... :up: :heart:

i'm liking the songs so far, i do have some "wtf?! moments" at some of the quirky ones, but reckon they might work well depending on what's going on on stage, choreography, visuals, story, etc...

i would like to see the production one day if it ever makes it to Europe, would be interesting to see, now they've apparently tightened things up...

I had downloaded the studio version of Rise Above last week and only now got around to listening to it.

God DAMN, I am so fucking over this fucking "loudness war" thing. The low end is so distorted. As soon as the intro was over and the big kick came in, it hurt my ears. And I didn't have my iPod's EQ on. Fuck that shit. Why don't any artists step up and say "you know what, that sounds like shit. Fix it."

Some indie artists do, Justice For Audio (Loudness)

Turn Me Up! | Bringing Dynamics Back To Music

Have to say, I am really enjoying the music to the show. Lyrically, like all broadway shows I am sure, without the visuals it can be a bit clunky, but there are also some really great lines, and some nice imagery.

Personal highlights after 1 full listen through:

Pull the Trigger
A Freak Like Me Needs Company (music and melody much better than the lyrics)
No More
NY Debut is also a killer instrumental

The problem with the musical are not the songs, some are good and definitely 'growers', the problem is that they dont really assist in telling the story. Instead, they are just songs for atmosphere and mood but they dont propel things forward in the context of the musical itself.

Musicals are odd.

Some musicals, like "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" are entirely sung. Therefore, by default, the music MUST tell the story. If it doesn't, nothing will! :)

However, it doesn't mean that every single song is a great. Some are just for entertainment.

Look at "Sound of Music". The opening number is the title track. What story does that really tell? That she likes nature? That she likes singing? One could argue that it shows she's anxious to leave the convent, but that's a stretch based on the lyrics. Then there's songs like "Doe a deer...". It's just a simple song meant for entertainment, not really to advance the story.

The same could be said for other musicals like "Camelot". Some songs do advance the story some, some do not. Even "Rocky Horror" is like that. Some songs are just silly dance routines - some tell the story.

From what I've heard, SM is the same. Songs like "Rise Above" is the main character reflecting on his life - hence it does advance the story. Other songs may work in the context of the show and are there for entertainment more than story. To me, it sounds like a typical musical.

And really, while I love B&E, if I see this, it's for the theatrics. Great music is secondary. I saw the Beatle's "Love" Cirque de Soliel in Vegas. Same thing - great music. But really, I wanted to see the theatrics. "Love", by the way, was nothing at all like a play - rather a series of acrobatics and dance fit to Beatle's music. I wonder how much classic Broadway likes that?

There are actually a few tunes that I really enjoy...

NY Debut
Boy Falls From the Sky
I Just Can't Walk Away
If The World Should End
Sinistereo
A Freak Like Me... (hush up, it's catchy)
Rise Above 2

Really want to hear "Behold & Wonder" - to anybody that's seen the show, how is this song?
I'm not at all sure how "Turn Off the Dark" plays in a musical, but I kinda like the song as it is.

I actually like this cast album as a collection of songs better than "No Line."
I wonder why the music was savagely criticized in the first place?

Inspired me to pull out the '94 Broadway Version of The Who's Tommy, which is fantastic.
Maybe Bono could ask Pete Townshend for some pointers with musical theater? :)

Some of it is okay, but I feel like most of it is easily forgettable. I'm glad a majority of these are on Spiderman and not some U2 album.

Some of it is okay, but I feel like most of it is easily forgettable. I'm glad a majority of these are on Spiderman and not some U2 album.
From what I've heard so far I have to agree with this. The music was specifically composed for a musical of course and U2 don't preform the songs so I wouldn't judge this material by normal U2 standards.

From what I've heard so far I have to agree with this. The music was specifically composed for a musical of course and U2 don't preform the songs so I wouldn't judge this material by normal U2 standards.

I'm glad ít's not an U2-album too. There are some very good songs on the album but for me NLOTH is miles better than this. I hope U2 will record BFFTS and Rise above for an ep or something and then... quick back the release of the next U2-record

still wish Bono and Edge were singing Boy Falls.

I like what I've heard so far - haven't really listened to this in depth, just played it through once so far, but the songs seem to be good.

Granted, I've never seen a Broadway play, so I'm not exactly the best critic for this.

Listening to the full stream of the soundtrack. This thing is off to a great start.

I'm convinced that if they had somehow saved "NY Debut" and thrown it onto the next U2 album, it would be absolutely adored by a great number of people here. Just a 3 minute balls out rockin instrumental, very U2, very dramatic, very cool. (Although it's essentially an overture mixing pieces from the rest of the musical so it wouldn't make sense on a U2 album.) And Track 2 is "Boy Falls" which has undergone a lot of changes, but still works. Reeve sounds pretty darn good.

EDIT: "Rise Above 1" is growing on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom