Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They only played it live the once, right? Not that surprising to see it not popping up in NZ/Australia/South Africa/South America, because Spiderman means absolutely nothing there, but I did think Bono wouldn't be able to resist pushing it in NA, possibly with 1800-PLEASEBUYSPIDEYTIX flashing on the screen (joking.) Wild and crazy long shot stab in the dark speculation, but I'm guessing it wasn't Bono who decided against it.

I'm sure this was settled a while ago, but "No More" is the duet track from the 60 Minutes segment with the "every day is a war and I'm losin' it..." lyric. And it's a standout here, based just on a quick run through of the preview clips.

yes, i agree. this sounds like something girls and gay guys are going to be singing during drunk karaoke in a few years.

and i say this with the street cred of having gone 10-for-10 on the all-Broadway audio speedround of gay pub trivia last night, proud i am of that.

They only played it live the once, right? Not that surprising to see it not popping up in NZ/Australia/South Africa/South America, because Spiderman means absolutely nothing there, but I did think Bono wouldn't be able to resist pushing it in NA, possibly with 1800-PLEASEBUYSPIDEYTIX flashing on the screen (joking.) Wild and crazy long shot stab in the dark speculation, but I'm guessing it wasn't Bono who decided against it.

It was rehearsed multiple times in Auckland, but after that - nothing. But like you said, it's not surprising that it hasn't been performed.

Only if it's Bono swinging in dressed as Spidey for his entrance during "Even Better Than the Real Thing".

Yep. Straight up ass kicking.

batman-spider-man.jpg

Reeve's brother Zane (Guitarist for "Carney" and in the Spider-Man orchestra pit):

zanecarney Zane Carney
p.s. my bro @reevecarney's face is all over iTunes! God Bless Bono+Edge for making the art a pic of Reeve and naming him as the track artist
26 May

The problem with the musical are not the songs, some are good and definitely 'growers', the problem is that they dont really assist in telling the story. Instead, they are just songs for atmosphere and mood but they dont propel things forward in the context of the musical itself. The songs are designed for ambiance and outlet of emotions from the cast but not as an element of the story itself- hence the 'stagnant' feeling of the musical.

The problem with the musical are not the songs, ....the problem is that they dont really assist in telling the story.

Then the larger problem is still with the songs.
I mean, that's what they are supposed to do, right?

I know what you're saying (I think) that the songs unto themselves aren't bad, it's just that they don't assist the story.

But when it's a musical, that's a big problem.

Me? I think the problem is the whole concept.
That said, I'd like to see some good material come from this.
At the very least it could inspire some more ambitious U2 material.

The problem with the musical are not the songs, some are good and definitely 'growers', the problem is that they dont really assist in telling the story. Instead, they are just songs for atmosphere and mood but they dont propel things forward in the context of the musical itself. The songs are designed for ambiance and outlet of emotions from the cast but not as an element of the story itself- hence the 'stagnant' feeling of the musical.

:shh:

you'll awaken medley

Oh my god, I'm so glad you said that because I was totally thinking that you must be a big homo because you love Larry! And wouldn't that just be the worst thing ever????? HA HA HA HA HA AH AHA AHA HAAAAAAA.

Get out of here with that shit.

Then the larger problem is still with the songs.
I mean, that's what they are supposed to do, right?

I know what you're saying (I think) that the songs unto themselves aren't bad, it's just that they don't assist the story.

But when it's a musical, that's a big problem.

Me? I think the problem is the whole concept.
That said, I'd like to see some good material come from this.
At the very least it could inspire some more ambitious U2 material.

Yes, I meant that the problem is the songs within the context of the overarching musical but not the quality of the songs themselves.

I honestly don't know if the show will improve substantially unless U2 go back to the drawing board and make the songs (or change the lyrics) to be more geared towards propelling the musical forward, oh and the writers should probably change the sucky plot too. :lol:

Spiderman just doesnt know what it wants to be right now- a cirque show? a crazy spectacle? a deep emotional play? a musical akin to 'Wicked'? Its identity crisis is the problem.

Whatever about the rest of the clips - and none of them did very much for me on a cursory 30-second-a-piece listen - 'Rise Above 1' is a really great song. They should have kept hold of that one / used for NLOTH.

These songs are all growing me. I am actually really digging Pull the Trigger!

Really clever to get the snippets up before the first show. If one of the issues was not having 'memorable' songs, have a recognisable single and snippets of catchy songs out now will definately help

I searched for it last night (12 hours ago) and found nothing.

We need the australian distributor to accidently make it available for sale a week early...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom