Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way - you can get 1:30 long free samples of all the Spidey songs on ITunes now.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Just checked 'em out - B + E are on a couple of other tracks - in fact one seems to be all Edge (sinisterio) :up:
It occurred to me that the other singles might be 'redone' as Rise Above was. The announcement of Rise above 1 said it was the "first single from turn off the dark", so more are sure to come, and it wouldn't surprise me if any others featured Bono and Edge too.
... Although, then again, Rise above 1 is on the soundtrack - it isn't a separate entity, so maybe that is all there is. Oh well, at the very least B + E aren't isolated to one track!

Just listened to 'A freak like me' and, well... i certainly hope that's not the direction u2 are taking with their club music :huh:

Wait...B&E are on Freak Like Me, but not BFFTS? :huh:
EDIT: Also, quite liking Sinistereo, Picture This, and Turn Off The Dark.

For what it's worth - I really like all the snippets (but my expectations were also none too high, considering the musical's feedback).

I've got tickets for the show sometime in September, and these clips have sorta rekindled my once mildly optimistic enthusiasm :up:

EDIT: I was half-expecting "Behold & Wonder" to be on the CD... :scratch:

Aus itunes only has 30 second snippets :(

Hate forming judgements from the 30 second snippets, and Broadway style lyricsalways sound worse when there is no context/full song to go by. Music sounds promising though!

just change your store to the US and you can listen to the longer previews :)

Tonys seek a little Edge - NYPOST.com

Tonys seek a little Edge
Invitation for Bono, too, in bid to boost TV audience

Last Updated: 1:35 AM, June 1, 2011

Posted: 10:47 PM, May 31, 2011
More Print
headshotMichael Riedel

Bono and The Edge popped up on the "American Idol" finale the other night and performed "Rise Above," the big tune from "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark." Their appearance helped lure 29.3 million viewers, 5 million more than last season's final episode.

Now, sources say, the Tony people are hoping -- and praying -- that they'll do the same for them on the June 12 telecast, whose ratings are usually in the root cellar.

Someone involved in the discussions says, "Nothing's been decided yet -- it's a little premature." But most theater people I talked to yesterday are confident Bono and The Edge will do a number from "Spider-Man," probably with the show's star, Reeve Carney, who hovered near them on "AI."
After a highly rated appearance on the 'American Idol' finale, 'Spider-Man' songwriters Bono (right) and The Edge may perform at the Tonys.
Theo Wargo/WireImage
After a highly rated appearance on the "American Idol" finale, "Spider-Man" songwriters Bono (right) and The Edge may perform at the Tonys.

Says a wag: "He was the other guy. It was Bono and The Edge and Some Other Guy."

A Tony appearance makes sense for everybody. The telecast gets the benefit of added star power, no small thing in a theater season full of stars who weren't nominated. And it gets a song from a show people have heard of (for good or ill).

Aside from the smash hit "The Book of Mormon," and possibly "Sister Act," most of the plays and musicals nominated this year are obscure. "The Scottsboro Boys," fine as it was, lasted only a month on Broadway, and the fourth musical nominee, "Catch Me If You Can," is being swamped in the media by the "Mormon" tsunami.

Bono and The Edge have a good reason to appear on the Tonys: They need to sell tickets. Now that its actors are no longer being carted off to the hospital every week, the media's obsession with the most expensive musical in Broadway history has waned. And so has the box office. In December, the show's advance exceeded $10 million; sources say it has since dwindled to half that.

While the Tonys will never draw anywhere near the number of people who watch the Oscars -- or reruns of "Murder, She Wrote," for that matter -- those who do watch buy tickets. A catchy number on the telecast usually boosts sales.

Such a boost would come at a good time for "Spider-Man," which opens June 14. While the buzz around Broadway is that the revamped show is a big improvement over Julie Taymor's train wreck, nobody expects the critics to declare it the next "My Fair Lady."

A "Spider-Man" source says, "We're not counting on reviews. We just don't want them to say it's the worst thing they've ever seen, like they did the last time." (The critics piled on in February. Taymor was fired in March and the show has been substantially revised.)

If the producers can get through the next round of reviews relatively unscathed, they've got a brand-name title, special effects and a score by Bono and The Edge to sell to the tourists this summer.

A little goose from the Tonys can't hurt, either.

TONY officials are being very secretive about the telecast these days. I guess they're trying to gin up suspense in an effort to turn this year's telecast into the "Who Shot J.R.?" Tonys. So just keep this stuff between you and me:

* Most of the cast of the shuttered "Scottsboro Boys" will be on hand to sing two songs, "Commencing in Chattanooga" and the haunting "Go Back Home."

* The "Sister Act" cast was just going to do "Raise Your Voice," but I hear Whoopi Goldberg, one of the producers, wants to add "Fabulous, Baby," a great Donna Summer-style song that shows off the musical's terrific Tony-nominated star, Patina Miller. (Look out, Sutton Foster!)

* The producers of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert," including Bette Midler, were pouting last week when they learned their show, which only got two nominations, might not be on the telecast. But now that "Spider-Man" may land a slot, even though it hasn't officially opened yet, Tony officials are trying to find a place for "Priscilla." I suggest Bette do a Bono and sing a song from the show. If she does "I Will Survive," she'll sell tickets.

michael.riedel@nypost.com
Read more: Tonys seek a little Edge - NYPOST.com

About 8 of the 14 songs I much dig. I actually like A Freak Like Me. It's funny and goofy!

The songwriting chops are actually quite impressive, and again, a lot better than a lot of U2's own stuff through the 2000s. Clearly, they can do so many different styles, it's a bit of a shame they are too afraid of showing their more off-beat side on the U2 records for most part these days.

the one thing i can't understand is how people thought the score was turgid and dull. if anything, it's too bombastic.

it's the most high-energy stuff they've done in ... forever? at least since Boy.

i just worry that the lyrics don't do their job in actually telling the story ... but who can say from these short clips?

I don't really like most of what I hear, but I will reserve judgment until I hear the full versions.

It reminds me of when I heard the clip of SUC before NLOTH came out and thought it was awesome.

Take it to the bridge.
Throw it over board.
See if it can swim.
Back up to the shore.
No one's in the house.
Everyone is out
All the lights are on and the blinds are down

You quoted my favorite Squeeze song!

And it appears you have "Amy Pond" as your avatar.

My hero! :bow:

As for the song "Isn't It Ironic", the only irony in it is that the word is used incorrectly throughout the song.

As for "Rise Above 1", I stand by my original thoughts: Bono and Edge created a very catchy song. This is perfect for Broadway and exactly what I hoped they would do. From what I've heard about BFFTS, that is also very catchy. And really, that's all they need - two big catchy songs and that could be enough. If the other tracks are at least "good", then the music part is a success. As for the rest of the play, isn't that really out of their hands? Hopefully the changes being done have helped.

Listening to the previews of the soundtrack on iTunes now.

Holy shit, "Pull The Trigger" sounds just...ridiculous. And a bit embarrassing. Bono and Edge wrote this song? Come to think of it, yeah, they probably did, because it sounds like what would happen if two 50 year olds try to write a rap song.

Other than that, I am liking a lot of what I hear. Lots of energy, some cool instrumentation, very colorful stuff.

This studio version of "Boy Falls From The Sky" has some different lyrics, but still kicks ass.

Jennifer Damiano sounds great whenever she shows up.

I'm sure this was settled a while ago, but "No More" is the duet track from the 60 Minutes segment with the "every day is a war and I'm losin' it..." lyric. And it's a standout here, based just on a quick run through of the preview clips.

I'm nothing close to an expert on this subject, but "DIY World" sounds like it might be the most "Broadway" song here.

The original (and superior version of) Rise Above still lives! Yes!

Overall, not bad at all. Looking forward to hearing the full tracks.

I wonder why they decided to mix B & E into a coue of random tracks, not complaining, just surprised they displaced the cast. Also, from the moment we heard of Bono's A Feak Like Me Needs Company, I assumed it was a song for Peter, here we see it's sung by the Green Goblin. I still dig Pull the Trigger, sue me.

I am a tad disappointed in Reeve's vocals on this take of BFFTS knowing that he's done much better than that live, though it is evident they took into account the fact that the original speed that the lyrics were delivered was too fast for anyone to comprehend.

i was hoping for a u2 version of boy falls from the sky... perhaps they're saving it for some special collector's edition box set somewhere down the line, which will come out approximately 5 years before it's release as a u2.com fan club "exclusive"

Larry: U2 you say? How about 'Boy falls from the fucking never.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom