Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono's vocal on Picture This is great. I've thought the last couple of years that he all too often sounds rough and tired, but here it's sweet and nice. :up:

Have to say, there isn't a song on it that I dislike. Some I am still indifferent to, just because I haven't listned to them much, because I love the others!

I've never had a U2 song on my Halloween Party Playlist, but I'm thinking "A Freak Like Me Needs Company" will happily join the ranks of "Bad Moon Rising," "Monster Mash" and "Halloween Head" (among others) later this year :dance:

Does anyone else suspect "Picture This" could have been turned into a successful U2 song/summer anthem thing?

It just feels kind of weightless and wonderfully happy to me. It's a little cotton candy, but make it U2 and it would become more Beautiful Day-ish, I think.

Larry and Adam (and U2 in general) are getting ROBBED
:sad::drool:

Gotta say, the more I listen, the more layered it becomes, and the more I am appreciating the qulity of the music. I am AMAZED Larry and Adam allowed them to use these songs for Spiderman. The music in Pull the Trigger is fantastic. Could have been a live juggernaut as a U2 song. It’s got this real heavy duty, industrial stomp style rhythm that would just go off live. DM would have given it a pretty good edge too.

oh no no no no no i just properly registered the opening lyric to Freak Like Me "a 65 million dollar circus tragedy" - pure parody, not good at all, they need to scrap that line, way to jolt the audience back to reality and out of the illusion of the performance... it certainly kicked me out of my tranquil listening moment lol :D

I thought it was funny :shrug:

I also think it adds weight to my argument earlier about the lyrics to rise above 1 being directed at Julie Taymore

it's funny for the wrong reasons though - Spider-Man 2.0 should not become a musical about a musical, truly there is nothing worse than going in that direction... it's inappropriate from a performance perspective - it's the Green Goblin speaking/singing, the line has absolutely nothing to do with the character, it is COMPLETELY out of character, suddenly the Green Goblin becomes Patrick Page for a moment, it is a very amateur device, sorry

yeah and don't get me started on your Julie Taymor/Rise Above 1 post :D

Listening to this msn stream now...

- 'BFFTS': He's got the voice of a very, very decent Idol contestant. And I know most/all of U2's 00's 'rockers' are super simplistic or big'n'dumb, so this would sort of suit them these days, but they should/could do much better. I'm glad this isn't U2, but, it really is a truly wicked song for the musical.
- Rise Above 1: Again, this is very, very, very good for this, but not U2. These first two really are fantastic and are enough to float the whole thing.
- 'Picture This': Initially at least - sounds like the early/working/alternate version we get of what eventually turned out to be a much better U2 song. Like Always to Beautiful Day.
- 'Just Can't Walk Away': Musical.
- 'Bouncing Off the Walls': Sounds like teenagers in a local band competition. "I can feel it in my bones, it's rock n roll, roll, roll" - so it's an early teenage competition.
- 'Pull The Trigger': Hahahahaha... Oh wait, Broadway. Ok.
- 'No More': Musical.
- 'DIY World': Musical.
- 'If the World Should End': Very nice.
- 'Sinistero': Musical.
- 'Freak Like Me': Musical.
- 'Rise Above 2': Very nice. Certainly more suited to the actual musical than '1'. Each do their respective jobs well. You're going to listen to '1' more, but '2' would be more in-theatre dramatic.
- 'Turn of the Dark': Okay.

All the ones I've just tagged with 'Musical', by that I mean, they obviously sound 'very Broadway musical' and that's not really my thing, certainly not something I'd ever listen to, so I'm not a good judge of it. And I assume their quality really all depends on their place in the play and the performance around them.

Overall, very good stuff for a musical, but I have no idea why anyone thinks any of this would make for good U2. Only some elements of Rise Above 1, I would think, would actually work well in a U2 song. And they're just superficial sonic elements. The only element of Boy Falls that I think would work well in a U2 song did work well in a U2 song 18 years ago. The rest? Very good Broadway, still very, very glad it's not U2. Larry :up:

Congrats to Bono & The Edge. They've produced a very good score and in doing so challenged themselves musically.

They have done everything but play it safe with this project despite all the criticism. Who knows maybe this sense of musical exploration may rub off on the next album.

:up:

i'm actually quite impressed overall... some of the compositions/arrangements are quite sophisticated, layered and melodic... nice work in its context!

Okay I'm seriously resenting that "Picture This" is tacked on to this throwaway project. It could have been huge as a proper U2 single. And seeing as they've been chasing that big hit lately, it makes no sense. It isn't forced at all, unlike their recent attempts at hits. The lyrics actually FLOW with no cringeworthy half-assed Bono moments. Then, half way in we have to listen to a soulless showtune singer take over for Bono. This whole project hits me this way....brilliant stuff, but who wants to hear Reeve Carney sing U2? They really channel The Who a lot on this thing, but overall it's the disappointment that this material is essentially wasted that keeps me from getting too excited. Picture This shows me what they're capable of... if the next thing we get is an album of forced singles with Bono singing little cute couplets I'll have to conclude that it's Adam and Larry's input that is stale-mating U2, because this Bono-Edge stuff sounds pretty unforced and approaching greatness.

I think people still harbouring spidey hate need to mellow now.

Whats done is done.

I am just as upset as anyone that it delayed a U2 album, but you can't change that now, so the best thing to do is to enjoy this highly polished, very accomplished score.

Any U2 fan (especially 90's U2 fans) can get a lot out of this work, its the next best thing to a U2 album, so just enjoy it and stop whingeing about things you can't change.

I think people still harbouring spidey hate need to mellow now.

Whats done is done.

I am just as upset as anyone that it delayed a U2 album, but you can't change that now, so the best thing to do is to enjoy this highly polished, very accomplished score.

Any U2 fan (especially 90's U2 fans) can get a lot out of this work, its the next best thing to a U2 album, so just enjoy it and stop whingeing about things you can't change.

My problem is that it delayed a U2 album and it's not very good. It's just alright.

and if everybody here thought it was brilliant, then people would just be up in arms that the songs were used for a musical and not either No Line or the next U2 record.

Bono and Edge are essentially in a no-win situation among U2 fans with that.

Beyond a track or two, I don't think that would be much of a problem. Even if it were end to end genius, 90% of it (as it is) will be 'very Broadway' and even if it sounds amazing within that context, would sound utterly ridiculous on a U2 album.

It's kind of a mess, some of the lyrics are just Bono throwaways, and some of the music falls into that same category, some of them come off very immature which may be inspired given the teenaged characters or that could be a coincidence. Some of the music is actually very cool, but not very Broadway.

But with the exception of say 4 or 5 songs, the criticism that these tracks don't tell us about the characters or move the story forward is very true, and for Broadway the score will still be knocked in reviews.

Throw away? :scratch:

Keep scratching. Or is that little guy picking bugs out of his hair?

Throwaway = a project built around a gimmicky superhero that will be quickly forgotten rather than a substantial work. I hear Bono and Edge are scoring the next Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie.

and if everybody here thought it was brilliant, then people would just be up in arms that the songs were used for a musical and not either No Line or the next U2 record.

Bono and Edge are essentially in a no-win situation among U2 fans with that.

I would say "poor Bono and Edge" but then I remember that they got themselves into this no win by promising an album, not delivering and then putting this out instead.

The guitar solo in 'Pull the Trigger' is great.

My favourite is 'A Freak Like Me Needs Company'. Even though it seems Bono pulled another 'Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of' or a 'I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight' on the song title. Would be better simply as 'A Freak Like Me', without revealing the me/company rhyme.

Man, Osborn is a hamfest in these songs. I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom