Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Album releases used to be events way back when. I don’t think we will ever have another “Thriller” moment.

Adele’s “21” was the last mainstream album that had a long run on the strength of its songs.

Didn't U2 bundle SOE with concert tickets, thereby artificially inflating its sales?

Yeah, we don’t talk about that here….

Didn't U2 bundle SOE with concert tickets, thereby artificially inflating its sales? I know this is common practice, but I don't think it should count towards sales because the consumer isn't choosing to buy the album - it's being given to them. That practice also acknowledges that concertgoers may not be interested enough in new material to seek it out. It's sad and desperate. And the bands are juking the stats.

I've still got like 5 unopened SOE CDs if you need a few.

We don't talk about the album being attached to album sales because it's a fairly common practice these days. So while it may be a cheap way of inflating your numbers, it's a cheap thing that many acts are doing.

Album sales are also largely irrelevant. Another reason why it's not discussed.

Spamming a billion iTunes accounts, not so common.

Such a dumb thing, too. If they just repeated the same method they used for Invisible it would have accomplished everything they wanted it to.

CD players hardly are available in new cars anymore as it is. Luckily I still have one and enjoy it but primarily people bought CDs to be played in cars. If that’s not available anymore either it’s no wonder physical album sales will continue to drop.

Yeah, this is why I just put first week sales. And yes other artists do the ticket with album thing. I know the Chili Peppers did a limited version of this with certain vinyl retailers.

And you guys are right. physical sales are fairly meaningless now. But I think the bigger issue here is the way streaming numbers are calculated. 1500 streams to equal ONE album. How many albums have you listened to all the songs about 150 to 200 times? So SOE got 6.5 million streams in the first week. Netting them a whopping 4500 equivalent album sales.

An artist needs to 1.5 billion streams to hit platinum. How that makes any sense when artists would hit diamond status after a couple years. I'd say those days are done under this crazy math.

I guess I put those numbers up to say two things. 1. U2 is as strong or stronger than any other well known longtime rock band. and 2. It shows the continuing decline of rock sales/streams in general. I think we often think of this just as U2 losing relevancy, but it isn't just them, it's the genre overall.

A lot of big acts these days seem to be going for the best selling vinyl and setting records in that realm. I saw a graphic for the new RHCP album that must have had 25 different vinyl color variants, with exclusivity tied to various retailers. There were also stories of Adele’s album overwhelming and backing up pressing plants due to the number of records her label was having made for the release.

The chart dominance/milestone relevance for big rock and pop acts seems to be (at least partially) situated around - for now - vinyl. I Imagine if the cassette resurgence transcends the indie realm, maybe that’ll be next. Just pointing this out for sake of conversation. The vinyl resurgence and major artist’s piggybacking on it - and subsequently fucking up a major revenue stream for smaller artists - is a different convo.

It’s been said before, but I wish U2 could somehow be happy with (typically) being the biggest live act on the planet. Hopefully they don’t care about record sales anymore, but dinosaurs gonna dinosaur. So far, their vinyl offerings have been generally very good, if frustratingly scarce. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an over the top amount of variants for SOS.

Rattle In Lung

Hawkmoon N95
An Outbreaking Wave

This Is Why You Can Bleach Me Now

thumbs-up.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom