Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snee, I can't remember what that Series of Events was all about. I've been drinking a lot though so it's probably starting to effect my memory.

Hopefully Bono's bastard will shed some light since she lives down the road from him.

I’m feeling Friday for an announcement and single. Seems the right amount of time for remixes to be made and selected, and just over three months to go which is pretty standard these days.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

There was an article on our local radio tonight about the delays for pressing vinyl records due to the war in Ukraine. The biggest record pressing plant in Europe in Amsterdam report that it can now take 6 to 9 weeks to press an album once they receive the masters. So it could mean that SOS may have had to have been delivered already (assuming there will be a vinyl release??) and that the proper new album for spring 2023 would need to be delivered well before Christmas you would think. Therefore it must be pretty close to being completed, which would jive with some recent reports.

There was an article on our local radio tonight about the delays for pressing vinyl records due to the war in Ukraine. The biggest record pressing plant in Europe in Amsterdam report that it can now take 6 to 9 weeks to press an album once they receive the masters. So it could mean that SOS may have had to have been delivered already (assuming there will be a vinyl release??) and that the proper new album for spring 2023 would need to be delivered well before Christmas you would think. Therefore it must be pretty close to being completed, which would jive with some recent reports.

Maybe the war made it a little longer, but vinyl pressing has had extremely long wait times since the beginning of covid. I remember looking into small batch vinyl when I was gearing up to put my record out a few months prior to its release in December 2020 and wound up deciding against it because for small batch, it was a 9-12 month wait. Around that time I saw that even the big artists were struggling to get quantities produced in 12-16 weeks (which had been more the normal before covid).

Maybe the war made it a little longer, but vinyl pressing has had extremely long wait times since the beginning of covid. I remember looking into small batch vinyl when I was gearing up to put my record out a few months prior to its release in December 2020 and wound up deciding against it because for small batch, it was a 9-12 month wait. Around that time I saw that even the big artists were struggling to get quantities produced in 12-16 weeks (which had been more the normal before covid).

Apologies, I should have said that it was Covid was the main reason, not the war! Anyways, they did also say that the small batch vinyl requests were a fair bit longer than the big batch stuff that U2 would be ordering. But even the big batch stuff is taking significantly longer to press. If they want a Spring 2023 release date for the proper new album they know they’ll need to have it finished very soon. Might be a good thing, less opportunity to mess around with it up to the last minute!!

I think it is safe to assume that U2 being an older band still shift a big amount of physical product for their album releases compared to new younger bands, and would want the vinyl and CD available on day one (the ITunes SOI debacle aside!!).

They’d be wise not to press too many lest they end up with a bargain bin record that also pisses off other artists stuck on the pressing plant waiting list

IMG_9498.JPG

Apropos obscure tour stops: Madison, Wisconsin was packed for ZooTV Outside Broadcast and half-full for PopMart. Ames, Iowa was a stop on Zoo TV outdoors.

the mixed venue approach

I think U2 is far too detail-oriented about the choreography and stage direction to make a mixed venue approach in the same leg possible. (Bono being severely out of breath during "Running to Stand Still" on JT30 seemed like a weird failure of their usual standards.)

This also pertains to the setlist discussion--they have for decades been very much attuned to segues and the flow between songs. They're not a straight-up rock-n-roll band in the sense that they don't just go on stage and bang out songs with a pause for applause/banter in between. (Obviously there is space for some banter every couple songs.) That's why I don't see more than 10-15% setlist variance.

They might have to budge on both points someday to fill houses, but I don't think we're there yet.

Notice that U2songs updated their projected release dates. Everything delayed.

So companion album that’s been “finished for months” to a book coming out in November will now be released about 4 months later…. Great job guys.
At least they’re young and time isn’t really an issue. :|

So companion album that’s been “finished for months” to a book coming out in November will now be released about 4 months later…. Great job guys.
At least they’re young and time isn’t really an issue. :|

That's exactly what I thought... Makes absolutely no sense, but unfortunately we got used to these strange marketing... And makes the new album pushed back to late 2023! Mark my words album full of new songs is out after the Ukranian/Russian war and when the energycrisis is over in 2026. And in the meantime there is no Heartland JT30 release.

Last edited:
lol, here we go again

How are they going to sell tickets for this tour if an album isn't coming out until the summer or later? What would it even be billed as?

Bunch of clowns over there.

Fire Guy Oseary.

lol, here we go again

How are they going to sell tickets for this tour if an album isn't coming out until the summer or later? What would it even be billed as?

Last time they did that it was JT30 into SOE…

I’m not saying this is going to be Zoo’23 buuuut I’m not saying it wouldn’t make sense, either. Especially that they’re booking stadiums *and* the highest tech venue on the planet.

Fire Guy Oseary.

They’ve got a part time manager with other major clients and an NFT business. I have to think they’d *at least* have a better marketing apparatus set up if they had someone devoting most of their energies to U2’s business.

Well, that sucks. But hey, it wouldn't be a U2 album without at least one delay :lol:

It is interesting that whilst the two albums seem to have been pushed back, there's not been news of a similar delay for the tour. Maybe that info comes from different sources, and shows will end up getting pushed back to 2024?

If not, I wonder if they've locked themselves into a stadium tour without a new album by accident (which I think was partly the reason for JT30 happening - because SoE and it's tour was delayed at the very last minute, if I recall correctly?)

Maybe they'll end up doing another stadium tour of past hits, swapping out JT for reimagined songs from SoS, followed by an arena tour of new material?

Can someone send a link - all I can find on the main page is that on the right hand side it still says first release 11/22 but below it says digital release 2023.

I find it weird they would do this without an accompanying article or post?

While I know something that isn’t announced can’t technically be delayed, still… idiots. Finished in 2021, related to a book released in 1 November. Delayed until 20223. What the fuck.

Back
Top Bottom