Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely love the new album!!!!! I was worried a bit after "Get On Your Boots" but this album is full of great Rock and Roll! I also love how U2 are dominating the worldwide iTunes chart! Brilliant, all around.

My favorite track on the album changes everyday. Haven't had that happen to me since Achtung Baby! :hyper:

Songs of Innocence is about as good as U2 can write and produce at this stage in their career. They're never going to make another classic album like The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby again.

This is easily their best and most credible work since All You Can't Leave Behind. I've been listening to it constantly since it was released.

HTDAAB and No Line on the Horizon had some classic individual songs but were disjointed, over produced, messy and made the band look like rich rock stars over selling their product.

Songs of Innocence really comes across as a complete piece of work, with a fresh sound and something they've put everything into. The lyrical theme adds to it.

People keep talking about singles to be released. With the album given away for free, there will be no singles, maybe some videos distributed for some of the more mainstream tracks and the extras to come in October. Edge said in an interview around March time that unless the work could be played acoustically and sound good the songs weren't strong enough. Some of the songs on here are going to sound incredible stripped back.

Invisible was clearly earmarked as a lead single for an album, whilst it's a knockout track it doesn't belong on this record.

Whilst the band have struggled in the studio I think we'll see Songs of Experience maybe having a commercial sound and dropped for free sometime in the Spring ahead of the tour.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Great post.

Whilst the band have struggled in the studio I think we'll see Songs of Experience maybe having a commercial sound and dropped for free sometime in the Spring ahead of the tour.

The deluxe edition info all sounds kinda vague. Wondering if "Songs of Experience" could be a surprise release on Oct 14th with "Songs of Innocence"???

This would be another bold move that would guarantee initial chart success.

Thoughts?

I really love, love this album. After 50th or so listen - it's almost right up there with AB and JT. Great songs, great melodies, great vocals, great(mostly) lyrics, great production. After disappointing NLOTH it's incredible, I'm in heaven.

Am I doing something wrong by only having listened to the album 6 times? :wink: Haven't listened since Thursday.

Now, we get this. An abandonment of Fear.. Not a care about "biggest band in the world", #1 album or a Grammy. just throwing the album out there knowing there would be backlashes.

Not sure how bringing in hitmaking producers to tinker with someone else's work is an abandonment of fear. It's second-guessing, however good you find the results to be.

And no longer caring about being the biggest band in the world? That's straight up BULLSHIT. The Apple collaboration and "largest album release in history" flies right in the face of that. They have always and still want that title. They're just finding different ways to achieve/retain it.

Love the album mostly and don't have a problem with the Apple "synergy". But let's not overexaggerate the band's evolution.

The fade out on The Troubles is outright criminal. I can't believe they allowed that. :angry:

Sent from my ass crack

I'm thinking in the full version of the album coming out next month, it won't fade out but instead lead into "The Devil's Hands". Then the album with close with "The Crystal Ballroom". This is just my guess, but I think it will end up that way.

After countless listens I cannot find one song on this album that I hate, dislike, or find irritating. First said best since ATYCLB -- now fairly certain it could be their best since AB, which is going back an incredible 23 years.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

After countless listens I cannot find one song on this album that I hate, dislike, or find irritating. First said best since ATYCLB -- now fairly certain it could be their best since AB, which is going back an incredible 23 years.

I'm only on my third full listen, but it has to be said even the least of songs (Miracle at first, now This is where you can reach me...) on SOI isn't a obvious drop in quality like they've had on past 4 albums.

Not sure how bringing in hitmaking producers to tinker with someone else's work is an abandonment of fear. It's second-guessing, however good you find the results to be.

And no longer caring about being the biggest band in the world? That's straight up BULLSHIT. The Apple collaboration and "largest album release in history" flies right in the face of that. They have always and still want that title. They're just finding different ways to achieve/retain it.

Love the album mostly and don't have a problem with the Apple "synergy". But let's not overexaggerate the band's evolution.

Opinion duly noted and filed away in the appropriate location.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm only on my third full listen, but it has to be said even the least of songs (Miracle at first, now This is where you can reach me...) on SOI isn't a obvious drop in quality like they've had on past 4 albums.

Slowly coming around you are. ;)

I just don't want to get tired of it so fast, because I'm really enjoying the album. Trying to learn my lesson from when Invisible came out in February - played it to death.

One song is a very different animal than one album. It's much harder to play Soi to death than Invisible. It's exponentially more information.

So 5 or so days later and I must admit, it's growing on me. I will admit that for me, it does not really become a U2 album until track 4 ("Song for Someone") and then it just takes off. The first 4 songs, while good, sound like they could be any good pop alternative act. I don't feel like I am listening to "my" U2 until a little later.

It's a solid album and it makes me happy!!!

Also, I see it as one of those transformative/standalone good ones - like the way War, Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, and ATYCLB were...to me it reminds me of that kind of release.

I am happy to be liking it more than I did in the first 24-48 hours. I guess I had kind of hoped U2 was turning to some sonic morph of "11'O Clock Tick Tock" and "Beautiful Day" guitar playing, some Achtung Baby epicness, some "Bad" intensity....one could always dream right? I think we always hope the new U2 album is going to give us that selfish favorites all rolled into one and when we find out that is not what we got, it takes a little adjusting.

I am adjusting just fine with this collection! :applaud:

Can we talk about all the backing vocal sounds in songs like Every Breaking Wave, Iris, Volcano and Sleep like a Baby Tonight?

They are done really well and add a layer to these songs that cant be found in instruments. SLABT the chanting in the background is very church like, which I imagine was their intent and it works so friggin well at setting the mood for the song.

I swear around 2:40 or thereabouts in Volcano that it's Yoko Ono in the background, although it is maybe just Bono sounding like Ono LOL.

Oh my God!
I LOVE this album soooo much!!! Lets forget HTDAAB and NLOTH. :)
What a sound and o Boy, what lyrics?!?!?! Goosebumps! Where the heck did they pull this out! Aaaaamacing!
*u2squeeeee*

Listened to it for 10 hrs in two days. :)

Yes...all 11 songs!

But the "official" single is The Miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

when the commercial realease is out will we see thw single in the charts or have more radio play??

I havent heard 'the miracle' played yet on the radio

Well without getting to technical, this album is nothing short of amazing. NLOTH doesn't hold a candle to this album, not sure why there is even a comparison. NLOTH was boring except for a couple songs. This album is consistent, no filler. Oh and the fact it got released during my wedding week in Mexico makes it even better!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom