Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's what makes Volcano perfect after Iris and before Wolves. Volcano is about his anger and not giving a shit after losing his mom and grandpa. Then that leads into him growing up more to experience the blood on the streets and war zone without his mom....it's a perfect fit after iris!

I find it to be a much "deeper" and personal song than vertigo .

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It may be deep lyrically but it sounds utterly disposable. I guess it really comes down to what one thinks of the chorus hook...and sorry but "Vol...ca...no" just doesn't work for me.

The worst part of this is that it will probably be a single. It's another Elevation/Vertigo/Boots "rock" thing. I think they should stop trying to "rock."

It may be deeper than Vertigo but Vertigo accomplishes what it's aiming for better than this song. If Bono really wanted to write his teenage frustrations into a song, there are better ways...just see the Boy and October albums for proof of that.

Volcano >>> Vertigo

With this album U2 finally got the "rock" they've been trying to find in the last 3 albums.

Volcano >>> Vertigo

With this album U2 finally got the "rock" they've been trying to find in the last 3 albums.

I don't think they found rock inside the Volcano. Irony at its finest :D

I'm not even a huge fan of Vertigo but there's no denying that chorus builds nicely to the "feeeeeel." It sounds great when you're wasted.

I guess Volcano can go head to head with Boots. I certainly find it less jarring than Boots. But then again there's nothing really in the chorus of Volcano as interesting as the weird harmonies of "you...don't...know...how...beautiful..you areee."

It honestly comes down to the chorus. Volcano has the weakest.

I was thinking last evening what are some older gems that would fit this tour thematically and musicallythe two that jump immediately to mind for me is:

ASOH
WILATW
SATT
Twilight

I thought of the first two but in between I got a phone call and thought of the other two. :huh:

Volcano >>> Vertigo

I agree whole-heartedly. I don't understand how many people dismiss this song. This is what I wish Vertigo and Elevation would have progressed to.

There is something different about this song than those. There is more of a connection, a maturity that makes it more than just a fun live song.

one of my favorites actually.

I am firmly in the Volcano camp...just pure rock bliss with a very unique and cool chorus.

So 2 weeks later, I am still having a tough time ranking the songs which I think is a great sign. I was easily able to identify my favorites from the last 3 albums early on.

So 2 weeks later, I am still having a tough time ranking the songs which I think is a great sign. I was easily able to identify my favorites from the last 3 albums early on.

Same here. I haven't even attempted to rank them, and at this point don't think I could.

Honestly, there's not one song on this record I don't like to some degree. That doesn't mean they're all classics, but there are definitely, IMO, no serious clunkers here either.

Same. Every time I listen to it a different song stands out. That, to me, is the sign of a good album.

So true. By week 3 I had pretty much skipped about half the songs on the last 3 albums.
This one I listen the whole way thru every time.

I still know that SFS and TIWYCRMN are my bottom 2, but I still really like them.

Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire...after so many years, at last you have company: Songs Of Innocence.
Right now I'm pretty sure that Songs Of Innocence deserves a place in the top 3.
Achtung Baby is still number 1 and probably always will be...but I gotta say, for me Songs Of Innocence is at the very level of The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire. Yes. This is U2 at their very best. These songs are THAT F**** GOOD.
:heart:

SoI is my #3 right now, behind AB and JT. NLOTH never got that high on my list even with new-album euphoria. This album is the one. The one they've been trying to make since Pop.

Down with Volcanophobia, up with Volcanomania!

Volcano is the best song on the album. Its my favorite, hands down. The bass freaking OWNS that song, which is probably why all the guitar fiends are freaking out. Adam is rocking it like nobody's business and I cant wait to see him do it live.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Same here. I haven't even attempted to rank them, and at this point don't think I could.

Honestly, there's not one song on this record I don't like to some degree. That doesn't mean they're all classics, but there are definitely, IMO, no serious clunkers here either.

I find "clunkers" on almost every album(save for AB). These are songs that I always skip because I flat out don't like them, there is nothing appealing about them to me.

Ceaders of Lebonon, Peace on Earth, Miami, just to name a few(im sure they are different for everyone). But like you, even songs I have been skipping on occasion from SOI have qualities that draw me back and are absolutely listenable(Ceaderwood and Wolves)

Perhaps that will change with time but it's a really cool/unique feeling.

The bast part? These songs can only get better at this point via the live experience. True you can grow tired of a song and you may "downgraded" it slightly but it is what it is for the most part.

But in the concert environment they can be elevated to another level if done right.

Streets, Bad and COBL are examples of this for me. Once I heard them live, the studio version sounded better to me and COBL went from a 6 to an 8. I think there is a lot of potential for most of these songs to really take off live.

I'm not saying Volcano is "clunker". It is just at the moment the song I like the least. RBTW on the other hand... I get serious Duran Duran vibes from it and that's always a good thing :sexywink:

I don't know what you are all hearing with Volcano. Is Adam up for a best bassist of the year Grammy or something? Yea, the bass sounds pretty good. That's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post

:up:

PS. The acoustic versions I look forward to hearing the most are Song for Someone and EBW

Volcano is the best song on the album. Its my favorite, hands down. The bass freaking OWNS that song, which is probably why all the guitar fiends are freaking out. Adam is rocking it like nobody's business and I cant wait to see him do it live.

Upon first listen one fears U2 is in danger of Volcano being this album’s Wild Honey, i.e. a detour into interminable silliness out of place in its musical environs. But despite the Van Halenesque song title, the venerable Irish quartet deftly manages to pull sonic sublimity out of the fire and instead produces a complex, textured and multilayered mountain of molten music whose plaintive and playful charms reveal themselves to careful listeners. Dapper rhythm king Clayton takes the lead here by generously feeding this cauldron of red hot rock an erupting, sonorous bassline while guitarist Dave “The Edge” Evans mirthfully follows along. And knoweledgable U2 followers will appreciate the evocation of a youthful sounding Paul Hewson (“Bono”) vocalising simmering angst about to reach critical mass and let loose upon the world in this deceptively simple yet nostalgic rocker.

Whilst the song may prove challenging for some, I can recommend U2’s “Volcano” to my more discerning readers.

© 2014 Nick66
All rights reserved
Reprinted with permission as a public service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom