Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So....... after two days of a forced hiatus from the album, I threw it on for my drive home. A few things pop out to me immediately. The albums freshness of sound is amazing. I am in no way a music expert in any way but my old ears puck up a differing sound of records past. Not sure if if it's the absence of eno and lanois or maybe just a different producer that brought out this refreshing sound. This is an excellent album, it may never break i no the pantheon of, JT, TUF, AB, but must be in next grouping, say Pop, War, Zooropa. As the miles passed the songs did too and something way more important hit me about this album. I really really think it took all of the bands history to make this. It was the album U2 had to make, that all those supposed music critics and experts that slammed this album would never understand. It takes us fans that know the stories behind Cedarwood Road, Iris, The Troubles....
and so on. After so many listens I don't skip one song, great record.

Very well said! :applaud:

I too gave it a break for about 3 to 4 days and returned to it this morning. Actually in the meantime I was listening to Zooropa and it sounded excellent as ever. But this morning I again had the urge to return to SOI. Listened to it during my work commute straight through until Cedarwood. It is indeed a very rewarding listen. Aside from being a bit bored with EBW now, I'm still enjoying the heck out of these songs! Didn't skip a single one including EBW. The physical release cannot come sooner.

This is great. I think young people around the world getting into the new material is what this whole Apple thing was about.

So instead of a PR nightmare, this actually looks like they have achieved what they wanted.

Yep. Here's a guest blog post from a high school kid about her own reaction to the album. She was raised a U2 fan, but not all the other kids in her school that are listening to the album could have been. Fallen Pastor » Blog Archive My 15 Year Old Reviews U2's "Songs of Innocence"

Apologies if this has been posted (I'm at work, so don't have time to go through previous threads). There are pieces from the Fanning interview on U2.com. It looks like Invisible will be on the physical album as well:

'Invisible', released earlier this year to support the fight against AIDS, will feature on the physical album, coming in October.
‘Invisible’ is about U2‘s first ever journey to London. In fact, the album is “all about first journeys. California’ is about first time in LA and all of that. ‘Song for Someone’ is about the awkwardness of falling in love and sex...'

Hopefully this will be the version with the Waterloo Station verses, which ties back into the theme of the album...

Edit: Oops, just saw the thread discussing this... Carry on :reject:

Apologies if this has been posted (I'm at work, so don't have time to go through previous threads). There are pieces from the Fanning interview on U2.com. It looks like Invisible will be on the physical album as well:

'Invisible', released earlier this year to support the fight against AIDS, will feature on the physical album, coming in October.
‘Invisible’ is about U2‘s first ever journey to London. In fact, the album is “all about first journeys. California’ is about first time in LA and all of that. ‘Song for Someone’ is about the awkwardness of falling in love and sex...'

Hopefully this will be the version with the Waterloo Station verses, which ties back into the theme of the album...

I doubt it. Bono said in that foci that the he originally wrote words like that, but scrapped them to dig deeper to find out why anyone would run away and 'join the circus' - I think it's gone (could be wrong, but the way he said it, I don't think so), but there is hope for an extended version/different mix.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My 10 year old son, who likes music but previously showed no interest in U2 (probably because his Dad likes them) told me that he and his friends were discussing at school which songs they like. He's listened to the damn thing and knows all the songs. I thought "wow".

He likes California btw.

My 10 year old son, who likes music but previously showed no interest in U2 (probably because his Dad likes them) told me that he and his friends were discussing at school which songs they like. He's listened to the damn thing and knows all the songs. I thought "wow".

He likes California btw.

????

Show him this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fktil1dQlYc

This got me into u2 big time!

Could be. But she have inherited a slightly retro vocabulary from her dad along with the U2 fandom. :)

He likes California btw.

It's these experiences that you won't see posted on the web and yet they matter the most. It's like this release pissed some people off, and I get why, but it also allowed U2 to reach audiences that they otherwise would NEVER reach. I'm finding that most people who listen to the album actually enjoy it....a lot. Very cool indeed that a whole new generation is getting into U2!

Not so cool if it affects the likelihood of us getting tickets to these indoor shows! ?

Well, hopefully they give preference my U2.com membership length like in the past, then nothing to worry about. Unless of course you aren't a member, in which case....even less to worry about for me ;) :)

I just bought Time - nothing major, except Bono confirming that SOE is due to be the first album in the new format, and in about 18 months time.

Two quotes were of particular interest though:

"The inherent contradiction in U2 dispatching it's 'most intimate album ever' to everyone with an iTunes account gave Mullen 'a little tickle' says the drummer."

Anyone who still thinks Larry isn't totally in board needs to watch him during the announcement and read this. The sour thing is a total act.

After the apple launch, "the band went straight back to the studio... Finishing an acoustic version of Songs of Innocence that will be released alongside the CD and bonus tracks in Oct 13"

Notice the inference in an acoustic version if SOI, not acoustic tracks from SOI. Could it be every song?

I just bought Time - nothing major, except Bono confirming that SOE is due to be the first album in the new format, and in about 18 months time.

"The inherent contradiction in U2 dispatching it's 'most intimate album ever' to everyone with an iTunes account gave Mullen 'a little tickle' says the drummer."

Anyone who still thinks Larry isn't totally in board needs to watch him during the announcement and read this. The sour thing is a total act.

After the apple launch, "the band went straight back to the studio... Finishing an acoustic version of Songs of Innocence that will be released alongside the CD and bonus tracks in Oct 13"

Notice the inference in an acoustic version if SOI, not acoustic tracks from SOI. Could it be every song?

Interesting....

Since I don't have the magazine, could you clarify the part about the new music format and the next album. Is it made clear that the timeline for the next ALBUM and format is 12-18 months? Or just the timeline for the FORMAT?

Interesting....

Since I don't have the magazine, could you clarify the part about the new music format and the next album. Is it made clear that the timeline for the next ALBUM and format is 12-18 months? Or just the timeline for the FORMAT?

Album and format. It says SOE is set to not only be a great album, but in true U2 style, the expect it to save the industry using this new format as well.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

This album is great- hope it brings the boys what they are looking for. Not sure it will be a hit but the negative reviews are way off. No weak tracks on the album at all. Many great U2 albums have rather weak second halves (Unforgettable Fire, POP, ATYCLB). But this one is strong to the end. The Troubles is probably their best album closer since "40"

God damn it, why must the band be so mysterious about everything? Why can't they just tell us what will be on the physical release already?

God damn it, why must the band be so mysterious about everything? Why can't they just tell us what will be on the physical release already?

There can only be two reasons:

They are still finalising content, or

They want it to be a genuine surprise.

Either way it sounds great to me

Another thing that has struck me - they haven't gone overboard on the number of versions like they did with NLOTH - this makes me think there I more to the delux than a couple of bonuses and acoustic songs.

There can only be two reasons:

They are still finalising content, or

They want it to be a genuine surprise.

Either way it sounds great to me

You don't think content would have to be finalized by this point? 3 weeks from appearance in stores?

I'm interested if they include other instruments, like Bono talked about one of the songs featuring brass.

But just the four of them acoustic? Meh. And a whole album's worth is going to wear thin quickly.

I doubt more than four of these alternate versions will be worth hearing more than once.

Been out in the wild been out in the night been out of your mind do you live here or is this a vacation.

Every song on this record has moments that get stuck in your head. It is an immediate album but also takes many listens to truly appreciate the musicianship.

This album is great- hope it brings the boys what they are looking for. Not sure it will be a hit but the negative reviews are way off. No weak tracks on the album at all. Many great U2 albums have rather weak second halves (Unforgettable Fire, POP, ATYCLB). But this one is strong to the end. The Troubles is probably their best album closer since "40"

Better than Love is Blindness?
Better than All I want is You?

:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom