Shuttlecock XX: ((Show Spoiler))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that first part of Fez not translating well (maybe as an intro, whether it's to that song or to something else), but I think the main bulk of the song would be killer live.

And also, what pfan said. Plus, I'd hope they're able to recreate the harmonies on that last verse.

To Phanan:

Yeah, but Love Is Blindness had a melody. Cedars is, for the most part, spoke-sung, and I don't see that going over well live.

Numb was monotone, but it had a melodic chorus and all the electronic jibjab going on underneath, and that worked well live. Cedars is too sparse, both melodically and vocally.

I'm not so sure that Cedars would be an unfriendly live song. Love Is Blindness is quite mellow, and that worked out ok on ZooTV.

Love Is Blindness wasn't nearly as mellow as Cedars. First of all, it had singing, not spoken word, which I think is the key. Plus, it built to the epic guitar solo. Cedars is probably the most mellow song they've ever done.

Fez would work great as the first song in the encore. Have the first part be the music directly from the album as they prepare to come back on stage with some sort of visual thing going on, and then they break into it live with the second part and rock out.

Love Is Blindness wasn't nearly as mellow as Cedars. First of all, it had singing, not spoken word, which I think is the key. Plus, it built to the epic guitar solo. Cedars is probably the most mellow song they've ever done.

I agree about the spoken word part, but they could certainly add a nice solo at the end if they wanted to.

Damn, pfan beat me to it while I took so long typing my response to phanan.

Great minds think alike and all. :hi5:

I agree about the spoken word part, but they could certainly add a nice solo at the end if they wanted to.
If they're willing to change up the arrangement like that, with more prominent guitar work from Edge, then it has a chance.

I don't think F-BB is a difficult to perform live song at all. If you have the keyboards pre-recorded, you get Edge to play the lead, chimey guitar part. Then you have Bono strum the power chords that are played throughout the song and you're good to go.

Here's hoping, I'm surprised they went with UC to be honest - I figgured that one would be one of the hardest to pull off live, I'm sure you're looking forward to it :wink:

Girl Talk is coming to Seattle in September, and I'm tempted to go. Then I just found out that Rodrigo y Gabriela are coming the same weekend, and I recently just heard of them and think they're wicked cool (to use a lame phrase).

Has anyone in here seen Girl Talk before? Is he worth seeing? I really enjoy what he does and love being surprised by what sample he throws in next, but I don't know if I'd get anything more out of seeing it live than I would by listening to his CDs instead.

I don't know much about Rodrigo y Gabriela, but have heard of them in passing and only recently sought out any of their music. It's pretty great and I bet they'd be really good live.

Girl Talk is on a Friday, which is pretty great, and R y G are on a Monday, which makes me less inclined to want to go, since I'm old and poopy and rarely want to go out on a weeknight when I have to go to work the next day.

re: elfa's spoiler comment

I looooove that song and am curious to see how they do it live. I'm excited that they're rehearsing it.

Oh, and also?

I'm very underwhelmed by the prospect of Drowning Man. I find that song to be spectacularly dull. Yay for doing an unexpected old song, but boo for that choice.

Girl Talk is coming to Seattle in September, and I'm tempted to go. Then I just found out that Rodrigo y Gabriela are coming the same weekend, and I recently just heard of them and think they're wicked cool (to use a lame phrase).

Has anyone in here seen Girl Talk before? Is he worth seeing? I really enjoy what he does and love being surprised by what sample he throws in next, but I don't know if I'd get anything more out of seeing it live than I would by listening to his CDs instead.

I don't know much about Rodrigo y Gabriela, but have heard of them in passing and only recently sought out any of their music. It's pretty great and I bet they'd be really good live.

Girl Talk is on a Friday, which is pretty great, and R y G are on a Monday, which makes me less inclined to want to go, since I'm old and poopy and rarely want to go out on a weeknight when I have to go to work the next day.

Never seen Girl Talk live, but I've heard from everyone that he puts on a hell of a show. Lots of dancing and all that.

I've never heard of Rodrigo y Gabriela but I've certainly heard of Troy and Gabriela.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela are awesome live. Saw them last fall at a small club in San Francisco - they friggin rock harder than a lot of electrified bands I've seen.

Here's hoping, I'm surprised they went with UC to be honest - I figgured that one would be one of the hardest to pull off live, I'm sure you're looking forward to it :wink:

I think it'll translate well live, much like Elevation, where all the chanting along will be the big thing. No one will care that the lyrics suck.

Drowning Man is one of my favorites from the early period. It's probably one of my most listened to U2 songs over the last few years. :huh:

You know that part in the second verse of Drowning Man where he switches into that crazy falsetto on the "take my hand you know I'll be theeeeeeeeeeere if you can"

I wonder if he can pull that off these days.

/peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As an addition to what I just wrote above, I'd like to say that recently I'm starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with me music wise. I seem to not like any of the same songs, bands, or albums as everyone else, so I pretty much can't talk about music with anyone. If I do like them, I either like them far more than other fans, or far less than other fans, and for some reason that ends up bothering me to the point that I feel like I'm being negative about bands I love.

Similarly, I'm getting next to no enjoyment out of new music. There are a number of great albums that have come out in the past few months, and I never want to listen to them. It's seriously starting to mess with my head, when bands I like release new albums, I almost don't even want to go buy them, as I'm paranoid that I just won't like it.

In general, I kinda feel like I'm sick of music. I didn't listen to a single song over the entire last weekend. Nothing. Not one song. I didn't even notice that until Monday when I looked on Last FM. It's freaking me out, as there's never been a point in my life where I've felt like I was losing enjoyment in music, but I'm starting to think that's what's happening. Every time I go for a run, I stand there and scroll through my iPod for 15 minutes and I can't find a single thing I actually want to listen to while running. What the hell is going on with me?! The saddest thing is that I almost feel like if I'm not interested in music, I sorta have no idea who the hell I really am. If you suddenly don't care about something that's defined you for years and years, where does that leave you?

:huh:

As an addition to what I just wrote above, I'd like to say that recently I'm starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with me music wise. I seem to not like any of the same songs, bands, or albums as everyone else, so I pretty much can't talk about music with anyone. If I do like them, I either like them far more than other fans, or far less than other fans, and for some reason that ends up bothering me to the point that I feel like I'm being negative about bands I love.

This might sound weird, but are you generally concerned about what people think of the music you like? Do you care what people think of your musical tastes?

(It took me a good many years, but I'm pretty much to the point where I don't care who knows that I love cheesy pop and own albums by Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan. :wink: Maybe it's because I can balance it out by owning and liking albums by big ol' indie bands, too. Like reading fluffy chick lit and also literature that's Serious Business.)

I might be totally misunderstanding what you're saying, but that was the first thing that came to mind ater reading the last bit of what you wrote there.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with you, but I'm not as interested in talking about music with other people. I mean, I like to do it, but it doesn't bother me if I can't discuss music with my friends. My tastes are pretty out there in comparison to my "real life" friends, so I guess most of the music talking I do is online.

It's seriously starting to mess with my head, when bands I like release new albums, I almost don't even want to go buy them, as I'm paranoid that I just won't like it.

Do you usually buy things without having heard them? I know you don't download per se, but do you seek it out in other formats, like samples of songs, streaming, or YouTube type of things?

I don't know that it would make you feel better - you still might hear something new by your favorite band and be horrified that you don't like it, or terrified that you won't.

In general, I kinda feel like I'm sick of music.

I've had that happen with the iPod - over 8,000 songs and nothing I want to listen to. But it never lasts very long.

Do you have other stuff going on in your life that might be affecting the stuff you normally love?

I'm kind of laughing at myself, talking to you like I'm trying to diagnose depression or something when we're talking about listening to music, but as someone else who's a giant music freak, I can totally understand being freaked out to have a "phase" like that start to last longer than usual.

:hug:

If you suddenly don't care about something that's defined you for years and years, where does that leave you?

:huh:

In therapy with a big glass of green lemonade and a box of Kleenex, my friend. :hug:

Or maybe you just need joyfulgirl's summertime mix.

But seriously... sounds like you're just in a temporary funk. I missed a good chunk of the 90s musically (including Popmart) because my attention was elsewhere. There always comes a point when the things we think make us happy, or that define us in some way, will be challenged. Kind of an existential crisis.

And cori makes some good points, too (as always). Some of the things she said occurred to me as well while I was reading your post. Maybe it's good to not make music the most important thing in your life. Maybe it's too limiting for you right now. Maybe your priorities are re-arranging themselves to make room for something else that has yet to reveal itself. (Or is that too woo-woo?)

I'm not concerned at all at what others think of my tastes or the music I like, I just like to enjoy music a much in a social way (talking about and enjoying the same music with people), and it seems like I'm unable to do that somehow lately. I don't know what it is. I don't feel depressed or bummed about anything else, if anything, I'm happier with life than I've been in a long time. Maybe I normally use music as a crutch during the hard times, and since I'm feeling good, I'm not wanting music.

The music I do want to listen to usually is stuff I've been a fan of for ages, maybe I'm just sick of forcing new stuff down my throat. It's pretty sad to hear a song on the radio sometimes and think "wow, I own this album, and have a couple albums by this artist, and I can't remember who the hell this is". I think I tried to cram so much new stuff down my throat for so long that it finally caught up with me. I have a big pile of new CDs I've purchased in the last few months by artists I love that I haven't even listened to once....

What ever it is, I'm fairly certain I'm 100% craaaazaaaaay. Maaaaybaaay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom