Shuttlecock! Part VIII - If God Will Serve His Shuttles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laz, I agree with nearly everything you've said, since you listened to the album. That's all. Oh, the lyrics...for fuck's sake...!

It doesn't help when work is slow - this is such a nice place to help ease my boredom.

I even took today off. I could have been listening to the leak all day.

I guess even that would have been a better story than "I went to Best Buy." :slant:

So Shouter, Laz, and myself are on board as the "Magnificock" haters?

And what the fuck is "Just a fire, till we die, you and I will magnify"? It's amateur hour.

I think it's "justified, till we die, you and I will magnify"

And I like that part, the delivery is nice. Funny that you guys were discussing Moment of Service and Cock Crazy Tonight as they are far and away my two favorite songs on this thing. Cock Crazy is just right up my alley, I love everything about it.

And what the fuck is "Just a fire, till we die, you and I will magnify"? It's amateur hour.

The lyrics of something like With or Without Cock at least are evocative, despite being a little cliche.

Even Beautiful Drop had the nice middle part about the Bedouin fires. This has not even half a phrase of anything creative.

Hey, ass, find me "only love can leave such a scar" on any of the previous two albums. Word for word. You just claimed that there wasn't an original line in the song, so prove it. Because if you can't, and your complaint amounts to nothing more than Shuttlecock writing about the Power of Love™, you're a dumbass. That right there is Shuttlecock's entire theme. I have no issue with you or anyone else disliking the song in the slightest, but the "Shuttlecock sounding like Shuttlecock = shit" argument baffles me.

So Shouter, Laz, and myself are on board as the "Magnificock" haters?

It was one of the only songs to which I could nod along, for whatever that's worth. I think that it's catch, but...ugh, the lyrics! I just think (ie, am willing to admit) that they're abominable. I'd say that of most of the record, though. Not all of it, but most of it. A really hefty majority.

I usually have a story with each new Cock purchase - the last one I was on a cross-country road trip in a Uhaul with my best friend and we stopped at a Walmart somewhere in Mississippi to pick up the Bomb. Since there's no cd-player in Uhauls, I had a thing that allowed us both to plug our headsets into my portable CD player (ha, remember those?). Now that's a memorable new Cock record story. "With NNOTH I caved and downloaded the leak two weeks early" just doesn't cut it, now does it? "I went to Best Buy on March 3rd" is much, MUCH better, right?

so do i. i think we've discussed this. what's amazing is that i was at a particularly low point last night when, suddenly, the album is available. someone PM'd it to me without my even asking for it. and i was all, "well, maybe just one song," and then before i knew it the entire album was there, and i was up until 2am listening to it and i'm very, very pleased.

i will PM you about this new "phase" because you'll understand.

also, i'm am neutral about how i "caved" -- though i feel like i was more "cajoled." i think the album is great and it's amazing for me to have it right now, but if not for said drama and this weird cosmic thing going on that always does with Shuttlecock, but waiting until March 3rd would have also been just fine.

The ATM machine line is crap. For one thing, Boner sweats money. He doesn't need an ATM machine.

Really the only two tracks I can't get into right now are Unknown Caller and Fez.

Those chanted cell-phone lyrics on Unknown Caller are just stupid.

Cock Crazy is just right up my alley, I love everything about it.

i'm sure that this will inspire yet another racist-against-gays comment from Squaw Dalton, but i'm crazy for "Cock Crazy" because it hits my aural G-spot and i see nothing wrong with a little quickie just for pleasure now and again.

i'm not ready to judge the rest of the album yet, but to my ears, absolutely every song has merit and worth, not a clunker on there (though "boots" is, imho, now the worst song on the album, and i like it a whole lot).

The ATM machine line is crap. For one thing, Boner sweats money. He doesn't need an ATM machine.

I thought he sweated bacon fat.

Really the only two tracks I can't get into right now are Unknown Caller and Fez.

I don't like the words in the chant, but I like the intention. Hearing Shuttlecock talk about killer cell phones is like hearing my grandfather talk about blogs. And he's in a coma.

/Schiavo'd

so do i. i think we've discussed this. what's amazing is that i was at a particularly low point last night when, suddenly, the album is available. someone PM'd it to me without my even asking for it. and i was all, "well, maybe just one song," and then before i knew it the entire album was there, and i was up until 2am listening to it and i'm very, very pleased.

i will PM you about this new "phase" because you'll understand.

also, i'm am neutral about how i "caved" -- though i feel like i was more "cajoled." i think the album is great and it's amazing for me to have it right now, but if not for said drama and this weird cosmic thing going on that always does with Shuttlecock, but waiting until March 3rd would have also been just fine.

I don't have any principals around waiting. I simply like buying a CD and popping it in to listen to it for the first time. I don't know why. I just do. I could change my mind I suppose but I'm fine waiting. I do have a road trip this weekend though but I actually need some quiet time. I might drive in silence.

Yes, PM me with what's going on. I have something cosmically weird to share, too.

I like the chant, but it is a little odd to hear a group of people singing "Enter password!"

And LM, if you think love leaving a scar is some kind of novel concept, you need to listen to more music. I don't mind Shuttlecock being Shuttlecock, but I just think it's very trite.

Please point out to me the highlights of what follows:

MAGNIFICENT

Magnificent
Ohhhh ohhhh Magnificent

I was born, I was born to be with you
In this space and time
After that, and ever after, I haven't had a clue, only ??
This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue, ohhhhh

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can leave such a scar

I was born, I was born to sing for you
I didn't have a choice
To lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice, from the womb
My first cry, it was a joyful noise, ohhhhhhh

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
And only love, only love can leave such a scar

Just a fire, till we die, you and I will magnify
Ohhhhh magnificent, magnificent

"I was born to be with you in this space and time"? Is that the poetry you're talking about? How about "foolishness can leave a heart black and blue"? Fuck man, the lyrics to In A Little While are basic, but at least they're primal. This is just unfiltered sap by someone who should know better.

Also, he did that womb stuff before on All Because of Cock. How many times can he go back inside? You'd think Lance was HIS mom.

Kinder words have never been spoken. I assure you that when I make the following observation, it's not an attack or an accusation; rather, it is figurative.

The lyrics, in particular to "Unknown Caller," sound like the work of somebody who has no contact with the traditional creative process. It sounds like what happens when a writer never, ever steps outside of his or her inner circle, and tops that off by writing and re-writing for years upon years. I am trying to say that the lyrics (and the vocals, even, on that chant-a-thon) sound brutally out of step with reality. Again, I winced. Again, too, this is just my opinion. Could be a monster hit. As I hear it, though, what I'm talking about is what I think it all sounds like.

Also, the fact that somebody (or several people) proposed the vocal arrangement and lyrical ideas for these sections of "Unknown Caller" and were then met by, "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Absolutely!" kills me. It really, really kills me. Nobody stopped to think it over, for a minute...?

In other news, I enjoy "Fez--Being Born" quite a bit, so far. No idea why everybody in the early reviews has seemed to think that it's ultra-experimental (remember the Enoified intro to "Love and Peace," anybody?), but it does sound good, to me.

Also, he did that womb stuff before on All Because of Cock. How many times can he go back inside? You'd think Lance was HIS mom.

For this, I will forgive you for completely ignoring the fact that I specifically said the song was NOT genius poetry.

I'm just glad they gave me permission to "MOVE TO TRASH," because that's exactly what I'm doing with this piece of shit album. Suckered in by Boner's lies yet again.

I'm just glad they gave me permission to "MOVE TO TRASH," because that's exactly what I'm doing with this piece of shit album. Suckered in by Boner's lies yet again.

i'm going to spit in Boner's face when i see them 3-5 times on the tour.

enzyte.jpg

"I WANT TO BE BOOOOOOOOONERRRRR, I WANT TO BE BOOOOOOOOONERRRRR."

I can handle sub-par lyrics. Lyrics are probably the last thing I notice on an album. If I like the music, like the melodies, like the vocals, I'm pretty happy. I'd love great lyrics, but lyrics don't make or break an album for me.

For the most part, anyway. There are always exceptions.

If anyone knows of a link to individual songs, could they send it my way.
I don't want the whole thing yet.

Mostly I want Unknown Caller and Magnificent because I've essentially already heard them (beach clips).

OK, NNOTH: better or worse than Viva La Vida?

Oh, I went there.

I'm not going to answer this yet, since it's too early to tell and I've lived with VLV for a long time. But I will say its title track is better than "Magnificock," and I haven't even been able to stomach that one since June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom