Setlist varies Glad USA is second leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
onozomg.gif

:heart:

Deary me. It was a late start due to having to replace a panel on the screen. They had to cut out something to get to the deadline. Now considering there's only one album they were playing 7 songs from, wouldn't that be the obvious choice.

No, they added New Year's Day. It was a 22 song setlist, only 1 less than usual, but they cut 2 NLOTH songs.

I don't know if this has been said yet but does anyone else find it amazing that they are playing "Your Blue Room"? I have never been this surprised with U2. I didn't think they had the balls to drop an awesome song that many U2 fans are unfamiliar with in a show but there we go...you never know what they're going to do! It's great that they've been varying the setlist more than usual. It's still not great, but it's interesting.

Now all they've got to do is play "Always Forever Now". Imagine that one in a stadium...

If you'd told at the beginning of this year that U2 would be playing The Unforgettable Fire, Ultra Violet and Your Blue Room during their tour, this forum would've collapsed from all the drool, praise and hallelujahs. Not to mention Electrical Storm and MLK. But since this is the Internet, as it is happening, people will find something else to complain about.

If you'd told at the beginning of this year that U2 would be playing The Unforgettable Fire, Ultra Violet and Your Blue Room during their tour, this forum would've collapsed from all the drool, praise and hallelujahs. Not to mention Electrical Storm and MLK. But since this is the Internet, as it is happening, people will find something else to complain about.
:up: i've tried making this point before, but nobody listens.

Completely true.

where is "Stand up for comedy"??? It's got a great guitar riff for an outdoor show & they leave it off the setlist.

where is "Stand up for comedy"??? It's got a great guitar riff for an outdoor show & they leave it off the setlist.

This is one thing I am very surprised about. Not disappointed, per se, but definitely surprised.

Well since I started this rant now I would like to change it to U2 play it safe in the USA....... No special changes and playing so much of ATYLB. If these guys toured more it might be okay to play so much from past 2 albums but we only get to see u every 3-4 years so lets spread the songs around..... Europe gets lucky again.,...
I bet they are worried about ticket sells for next summer so playing safe in USA translates to better ticket sales.:down:

Or Fez? And the tour program talks about them performing WAS live!!!

How about we dump 3 ATYCLB songs and have a REAL 360 tour???

Willie said in his tour diary that the band wants to play WAS, but they think it'll kill the mood... or something, can't remember exactly... same reason Drowning Man isn't being played.

What makes dumping 3 ATYCLB songs the tour more 360 degrees? It's not like they'll replace it with You Spin Me Round or something like that.
:D

:hmm: Thats not a bad idea actually! ;)

I can hear Bono snippeting that though during Go Crazy. Its time for a Dead Or Alive revival (or maybe not). :lol:

Willie said in his tour diary that the band wants to play WAS, but they think it'll kill the mood... or something, can't remember exactly... same reason Drowning Man isn't being played.

Yet they seem to think YBR did/does not. :shrug: Same type of pacing for all three of them.

I could care less if WAS is done, it is VERY average IMO. Drowning Man on the other hand would have been very interesting to me.

Whether you like Drowning Man or White As Snow, wouldn't you prefer that there be new songs? Something new added every few shows?

I don't get why EVERY song doesn't as least get a performance or two ever..........

:hmm: Thats not a bad idea actually! ;)

I can hear Bono snippeting that though during Go Crazy. Its time for a Dead Or Alive revival (or maybe not). :lol:

I love that idea. And while he's singing You Spin Me Right Round, let's give Larry's drumset a spin! (and make him nauseous :drunk:)

Whether you like Drowning Man or White As Snow, wouldn't you prefer that there be new songs? Something new added every few shows?

I don't get why EVERY song doesn't as least get a performance or two ever..........

As a diehard something different can be cool. But I'm not in the camp of just because its different its cool. I know many disagree but YBR is a setlist pacing killer. Same can be said for An Cat Dubh when it was done on Vertigo. I love An Cat Dubh, loved that they played it, but it killed any momentum the setlist had when it was done on Vertigo. Difference with YBR is I don't even care for the song. So it adds nothing to the setlist other than dragging it down for me. I think I would like Drowning Man as a diehard, but I think the band is probably right in that it would kill the setlist pacing. I do like that U2 are trying something different. But it needs to work for most of the audience. I know F*** the non diehards, but U2 doesnt have that approach and I don't necessarily think they should. I think U2 does throw the diehards a bone or two though each tour and thats all we can expect given their stature and following (IE Unf. Fire, Ultraviolet, Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, The Ocean, etc).

It comes down to the experience while you are there and what works for a large audience. Not the trainspotters as Bono likes to call us. ;) Now I think U2 can challenge that audience with some less known songs, but the downbeat, slow paced, obscure songs are not going to get it done. I really think U2 are striving mainly for what will keep the audience going and what they enjoy playing. I think new material like SUC would work well, so I agree, they could add new material and hopefully SOA has some material that will help the setlist also next year. They could also play something like "Hold Me, Thrill Me". Or how about something mid tempo that builds like "Dirty Day". I think those would go down fairly well if placed properly in the setlist and with the proper theming and lighting to go with it.

As a diehard something different can be cool. But I'm not in the camp of just because its different its cool. I know many disagree but YBR is a setlist pacing killer. Same can be said for An Cat Dubh when it was done on Vertigo. I love An Cat Dubh, loved that they played it, but it killed any momentum the setlist had when it was done on Vertigo. Difference with YBR is I don't even care for the song. So it adds nothing to the setlist other than dragging it down for me. I think I would like Drowning Man as a diehard, but I think the band is probably right in that it would kill the setlist pacing. I do like that U2 are trying something different. But it needs to work for most of the audience. I know F*** the non diehards, but U2 doesnt have that approach and I don't necessarily think they should. I think U2 does throw the diehards a bone or two though each tour and thats all we can expect given their stature and following (IE Unf. Fire, Ultraviolet, Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, The Ocean, etc).

It comes down to the experience while you are there and what works for a large audience. Not the trainspotters as Bono likes to call us. ;) Now I think U2 can challenge that audience with some less known songs, but the downbeat, slow paced, obscure songs are not going to get it done. I really think U2 are striving mainly for what will keep the audience going and what they enjoy playing. I think new material like SUC would work well, so I agree, they could add new material and hopefully SOA has some material that will help the setlist also next year. They could also play something like "Hold Me, Thrill Me". Or how about something mid tempo that builds like "Dirty Day". I think those would go down fairly well if placed properly in the setlist and with the proper theming and lighting to go with it.

YBR was one of the highlights of the setlist when I saw them at Fozboro. Yeah, An Cat Dubh had issues, especially since Bono couldn't be bothered to actually use the lyrics, but all the same I'm glad they played it. They play 22-23 songs a show. I think there's room for something, even just one, unexpected song every show. Remember how many acoustic songs they tried out on ZOOTV?

In other news; they are now playing more songs from ATYCLB than JT or Achtung on a regular basis. Where's the sense in that!?!?!?!!?

As much as I loved hearing YBR in DC and Charlottesville, I thought it really did kill the momentum. 90% of the crowd didn't know it. A more upbeat obscure song might go over better (kind of like the Crazy Tonight remix, which I don't think a lot of people recognize, but they're still able to get into it).

So, basically, they should just play Mofo already.

As much as I loved hearing YBR in DC and Charlottesville, I thought it really did kill the momentum. 90% of the crowd didn't know it. A more upbeat obscure song might go over better (kind of like the Crazy Tonight remix, which I don't think a lot of people recognize, but they're still able to get into it).

Sounds like a job for Pride or BTBS... or why not just play WOWY twice?

Setlists seem to be very static right now. Makes me even more happy to have seen the shows in Europe. We got a lot of goodies there, stuff they haven't played again since. I hope they will play a fresh set for next year's leg of the tour.

to be honest, it wouldn't bother me if they dropped ybr. i've already heard it live. :wink: i do think they should replace it with something more uptempo but rarely played though, to appease us hardcore fans and casual fans at the same time. like mofo! we'll be freaking out because it's mofo, and they'll be rocking out. it went over well when i saw them for popmart. granted some of that was just the general enthusiasm over them on stage since it was the opener, but still.

I am glad I'm European and went to the concerts of the first leg, because honestly nothing I've heard and seen so far from the US leg has convinced me that it's the better set. In fact I think European shows were better, set-wise and audience-wise.
Hmm..this could explain why I very much enjoy a few bootlegs from the European leg of this tour. IMHO, nothing beats this until the moment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom