Setlist Discussion Part II - Spoilers Allowed, Enter At Your Own Risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was in the 400s last night, and generally the crowd around me was into it, but the only thing that made *everyone* stand up was the intro to Streets.

My experience as well. Obviously the start of ZS is rousing but nothing else came close to the energy for Streets. Which is to say that even with all the flash there’s no rivaling that emotional connection with the band.

RAH is getting some love on this tour with all the songs they’ve played from it.

And yet you can't stream the movie (at least in the USA) and the Blu-ray is out of print.

I don't think they need to be embarrassed about it anymore. The live material is killer. And if they really wanted to, they could fashion some alternate cut, maybe with more performances and removing whatever doc stuff that makes them cringe.

A bit George Lucas-y, but I'd rather see a different cut available than no cut at all. Luckily, I have it on HD-DVD, of all formats.

And yet you can't stream the movie (at least in the USA) and the Blu-ray is out of print.

I don't think they need to be embarrassed about it anymore. The live material is killer. And if they really wanted to, they could fashion some alternate cut, maybe with more performances and removing whatever doc stuff that makes them cringe.

A bit George Lucas-y, but I'd rather see a different cut available than no cut at all. Luckily, I have it on HD-DVD, of all formats.

“Phil Joanou
@PJoanou
·
22h
Ahhh… I was there for that! Outside the theater in Dublin at the premiere… btw… a 4k version of R&H with an Atmos mix is in the works!”

Great timing!

His follow up comment on Twitter seems to indicate that he's personally working on it. As the band isn't likely to have anything out in the first half of 2024 (if at all that year), it would be a nice gift for fans if it was finished by then.

The question is whether or not the band would try to do a theatrical re-release or just go straight to streaming/Blu-ray. Let's face it, we're not talking Stop Making Sense here in terms of how well it's regarded by cinephiles or music fans, and I'm not sure they stand to make a big splash with it.

I've seen the movie recently for the first time in at least 15 years.

The live footage is great and beautifully shot. So many definitive versions, but With or Without You, Running to Stand Still, Streets and Exit are especially notable as being as good as this band can get. Bizarre that none of them were released on the album (but Helter Skelter, All Along the Watchtower and Pride did...).

The cringe is still very much cringe. The interviews and the behind-the-scenes footage add nothing to it and the band members do come across as pretentious dorks with nothing to say and with a horrendous fashion sense. There is contagious youtful ambition for sure, and one cannot deny this was one of the band's greatest assets that propelled them forward, but they can come across like asses when Bono recites When Love Comes to Town to BB King like it is Shakespeare's lost sonnet, not to mention Larry's witless Graceland soliloquy and photo shoot, or that corny intro to Helter Skelter. On the other hand, the "Fuck the revolution!" speech is for instance completely real and authentic and easily one of the highlights.

It's a fascinating mess all in all, and I wish even more live songs were in it (One Tree Hill, The Unforgettable Fire...) and the rest was reduced to a minimum.

But who knows if there would have been a Zoo TV without it. That is one of its greatest accomplishments. The band certainly learned the hard way how to not take themselves too seriously.

Sorry for going off-topic. I do think the Sphere's acoustic R&H set is the best they have sounded with an acoustic guitar live (even if it is a tad too long), but there is hardly any competition in that department. The fact that it is mostly full band helps a lot. And it is the album (or those songs in particular) that possibly loses the least in this arrangement in terms of texture and sound. I prefer this stripped down version of Love Rescue Me to the overblown studio version.

I can see them playing Stuck in a Moment (the only other song that works better for me acoustically), Walk On, Bad and Stay in the future. I'd be very surprised if Dirty Day or The First Time (keeping in line with that Zooropa rumour) show up.

Last edited:
There's loads to like in Rattle & Hum and I remember when I first saw it thinking the interview stuff was just them and PJ reacting to the strange situation they found themselves in, but I think Roger Ebert and lots of other critics gave them a right kicking for how they didn't seem to be taking it seriously enough.

The concert footage is great and I always wished they'd release a full pro-shot of the gig at some point. There's also, famously, so much of the unused footage that's leaked.

In terms of 2024 stuff they could do, we're yet to see the JT anniversary tour and I'm assuming they'll be shooting the UV shows for a release in some format or other (VR version for the Apple headset please...).

A lot of the color Arizona Sun Devils stadium footage has made its way to YouTube over the years and I’ve always said they should just release that entire concert, as it was filmed, as a bonus feature.

A lot of the color Arizona Sun Devils stadium footage has made its way to YouTube over the years and I’ve always said they should just release that entire concert, as it was filmed, as a bonus feature.

I've always wanted this!

An interesting bit of alternate history to wonder what the response to the film would have been if it was just that full concert with no documentary bits. It's hard to say it would definitely have a Stop Making Sense type reputation but I mean you could certainly see it being considered in the upper echelon of concert films. That footage was absolutely stunning.

The cringe is still very much cringe. The interviews and the behind-the-scenes footage add nothing to it and the band members do come across as pretentious dorks with nothing to say and with a horrendous fashion sense. There is contagious youtful ambition for sure, and one cannot deny this was one of the band's greatest assets that propelled them forward, but they can come across like asses when Bono recites When Love Comes to Town to BB King like it is Shakespeare's lost sonnet, not to mention Larry's witless Graceland soliloquy and photo shoot, or that corny intro to Helter Skelter.

In one way, their only real crime was being prescient about their eventual place in the rock pantheon (and Bono had these delusions years earlier anyway). So to me, instead of reacting like "Who the fuck do these guys they are, trying to physically rub shoulders with blues legends, and spiritually rub them with The Beatles and Elvis?", I was kind of cheering them on when I saw it back in 1990? By the time the movie came out, they already had the AOTY Grammy, a #1 album and single, the Time magazine cover, etc. So it's not like they were pretenders to the throne.

I suppose the issue is that Bono comes off as so intelligent and fascinating in print interviews from that time period, but they don't really get that across in the film. Regardless, when I hear Bono say he's stealing Helter Skelter back, it sounds perfectly reasonable and justified knowing the status they achieved. It always sounded pretty ballsy of a line to me. At least they didn't say they were stealing All Along The Watchtower back from Hendrix on Dylan's behalf!

And B.B. King told him they were mighty fine lyrics!

Last edited:
If anyone says to you prove to me that U2 doesn’t suck you show them Sunday Bloody Sunday from Rattle and Hum. Works every time.

They don't need a better transition into Streets.

Streets is strong enough to stand on its own.

What they DO need is to smack Bono upside the head until he stops singing the SOS lyrics instead of the original.
I completely agree. The moment Streets started I couldn't have cared less what song segued into it. My only complaint about the setlist (and i feel like an ass complaining because the show was phenomenal) was Beautiful Day as the closer. Should've been Love Is Blindness. And I'll die on that hill.

I completely agree. The moment Streets started I couldn't have cared less what song segued into it. My only complaint about the setlist (and i feel like an ass complaining because the show was phenomenal) was Beautiful Day as the closer. Should've been Love Is Blindness. And I'll die on that hill.
I can see that.

re: Love is Blindness... at least on the shows in dew, which were opening weekend... It didn't seem like the crowd necessarily realized that LIB was the last song of the set.

Gaga joined them tonight for AIWIY and ISHFWILF and Bono and Gaga sang Shallow.

Last edited:
AIWIY/Shallow was a medley. They actually played the chords and structure of Shallow, but within the broader structure of AIwIy

That's pretty cool she was there not just for a brief cameo but two full songs plus a snippet of one of her own.

Major star power right there.

Next up, Taylor Swift. Let's fucking go.

This YT poster has uploaded 6 ambient remixes that are being played at the Sphere in the hallways, and at the Zoo Station exhibition. Pretty cool stuff.

Back
Top Bottom