Setlist Discussion Part II - Spoilers Allowed, Enter At Your Own Risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where can I listen? All the cams of the show on youtube cut off before or a couple seconds in.

Interestingly U2songs doesn't go so far as to credit the song to the band, they just say it's "unreleased" and that Bono "sings along to" it.

Flashbacks to the unreleased remix of The Miracle that played at the end of the 2018 shows!

On an unimportant note, my flight leaves in a bit here, haha. So pretty pumped to hear these songs finally!

Where can I listen? All the cams of the show on youtube cut off before or a couple seconds in.

Interestingly U2songs doesn't go so far as to credit the song to the band, they just say it's "unreleased" and that Bono "sings along to" it.

The night three bootleg on u2start has it on the end.

I have to say - I can’t hear anything that sounds like Bono. The tone and accent are all wrong.

It's hard to know, I'm wondering if it's not a Bono collab. I heard multiple voices. The stream keeps cutting off so I can't hear the song well.

The night three bootleg on u2start has it on the end.

Thanks.

Yeah I'm not sure it's him. I mean, at some points it really does sound like him, at other points it just feels like it couldn't be (sometimes within the same lyric, so hard to imagine vocalists swapping verses or something). It's so muddled though who knows, could be him singing in unison with someone else, or just someone else with a similar voice, or who knows what.

If there's any chance this actually is a U2 track, then that's actually a pretty interesting sound for them to explore. If it's not, I'd be curious to listen to it properly regardless because it sounds pretty good.

I like the sound, but I have one fear for it - this band have maintained their faith without ever becoming a “Christian rock” band. They never went full Creed. That song lyrically pushes that line too far for them to avoid that perception.

From the updated U2songs article:

There are two songs which are played over the PA after the end of the show.

The first features a vocal by a female singer, and is an unreleased song (at least for now.) The song is titled “Glorify” and has been played directly after “Beautiful Day” each night. On the October 11, 2023 show, Bono sang along to the song as it played over the PA at the end of the night, and look like he expected the crowd to know the words.

From the updated U2songs article:

There are two songs which are played over the PA after the end of the show.

The first features a vocal by a female singer, and is an unreleased song (at least for now.) The song is titled “Glorify” and has been played directly after “Beautiful Day” each night. On the October 11, 2023 show, Bono sang along to the song as it played over the PA at the end of the night, and look like he expected the crowd to know the words.

Okay, this makes a lot more sense, I was wondering how they were so sure it was Bono, if this was inside info... guess because they were referring to a specific night where he was literally singing along on stage, visible to everyone there hahah.

Still a mystery here though as to what the song actually is. Seems less likely to be U2 related then but interesting that they would use an unreleased track by someone else to close the show.

Thank you much! Already getting giddy, haha.

Will let the good folks here know what that ending song sounds like tomorrow night, as well!

Oh, you might want a mask—people on my 10/1 flight back were snorting up phlegm (and farting!) and I wished I’d had one. Maybe that’s just Sun Country though. ;p

Thank you much! Already getting giddy, haha.

Will let the good folks here know what that ending song sounds like tomorrow night, as well!

That would be great. I've been asking everyone about it since the first night.

Can you make a mental note about the merch at Zoo Station and report back? I'm looking for the sterling symbol necklace or bracelet. website is sold out.

Oh, you might want a mask—people on my 10/1 flight back were snorting up phlegm (and farting!) and I wished I’d had one. Maybe that’s just Sun Country though. ;p

Oh, boy. :eek: Appreciate the heads up regardless! Sun Country got on my nerves some years back (long story), so maybe it's a good thing I'm avoiding them there!

Can you make a mental note about the merch at Zoo Station and report back? I'm looking for the sterling symbol necklace or bracelet. website is sold out.

I plan on stopping by, so I'll check to see if it's available if I go!

There wasn't any jewellery at Zoo Station or the Sphere stands when we visited. I see one of the sites has reported they've added some new tote bags, but no mention of jewellery or anything else.

I suspect those would have been very small runs - you can't even buy the anniversary t-shirts and hoodies which would have been available in bigger numbers than those.

U2's approach to merchandising is another mystery at times. Oh, and for those going, the merch stalls and Zoo Station do sell out of stuff on a daily basis so I'd get in early if you're wanting something like a programme.

There wasn't any jewellery at Zoo Station or the Sphere stands when we visited...

I suspect those would have been very small runs...

U2's approach to merchandising is another mystery at times.

Thanks for your comments, when I go, I will curb expectations. Maybe these things do not have a high enough demand, or the artists can't keep up with demand.

I am a graphic designer and love U2's use of symbols and colors especially AB and beyond. But....not totally in love with how they have interpreted AB in merch for this series of shows. The pink UV bullseye etc. Maybe I'll like it more when I see in person....I did love those symbol necklaces though.

I like the sound, but I have one fear for it - this band have maintained their faith without ever becoming a “Christian rock” band. They never went full Creed. That song lyrically pushes that line too far for them to avoid that perception.

I mean, this is the band that did 40, Gloria, Yahweh, etc. I don't think this song- if it is in fact U2 and if it does have obvious religious lyrics- will change that perception if it's not there already. The people that think they're a "Christian band" already think that. The people that know that they are a band consisting of Christians whose faith inspires some of their lyrics already know that.

I mean, this is the band that did 40, Gloria, Yahweh, etc. I don't think this song- if it is in fact U2 and if it does have obvious religious lyrics- will change that perception if it's not there already. The people that think they're a "Christian band" already think that. The people that know that they are a band consisting of Christians whose faith inspires some of their lyrics already know that.

Yeah, I was a bit uncomfortable at first getting into the band with how Jesusy they were at times until my friend pointed out, “they’re Irish.” As in, of course/obviously/there’s not really another option. Ha!

Yeah, I was a bit uncomfortable at first getting into the band with how Jesusy

I'm born again Christian so my opinion may be bias, but I would rather listen to insightful lyrics about the human condition, rather than something surface level. That includes elements of faith, hope and love. What Gary Cherone continues to do with the band Extreme is a good example of this. They still rock hard but their lyrics are deeply insightful and full of Christian themes with commentary on faith, pop culture and politics. ("Am I ever gonna change" is similar in theme to Acrobat for example.)

I'm born again Christian so my opinion may be bias, but I would rather listen to insightful lyrics about the human condition, rather than something surface level. That includes elements of faith, hope and love. What Gary Cherone continues to do with the band Extreme is a good example of this. They still rock hard but their lyrics are deeply insightful and full of Christian themes with commentary on faith, pop culture and politics. ("Am I ever gonna change" is similar in theme to Acrobat for example.)

so you're saying that Extreme's lyrics are More Than Words?

Glad to help! I didn't go too overboard on my end, other than just getting a program and t-shirt, which I was aiming for anyway.

I feel less bad than usual about not getting those references. ;)

I’d probably buy that necklace if it were there (I too didn’t see any jewelry but wasn’t looking extremely carefully).

Get the funk out of here

I don’t like what I see here :wink:

Extreme was awesome when we saw them in August, as was Living Colour.

The jewelry case was kind of out of the way almost to the registers.

Also, came back with a case of COVID. My first time around through this whole thing. Masked on the airplanes but clearly that was not enough.

Back
Top Bottom