RRHoF Part 2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
52418153.jpg

U2, Pretenders Join Rock's Hall of Fame at NY Gala
Tue Mar 15, 2005 02:12 AM ET
NEW YORK (Reuters)

By Mark Egan

........."(U2) are the keepers of some of the most beautiful sonic architecture in the rock-and-roll world," said rocker Bruce Springsteen while inducting U2.

Bono, a born-again Christian, was a highlight of the Live Aid concert for Ethiopian famine relief in 1985 and has since campaigned tirelessly for the world's poor.

This led to gossip that the Bush administration was considering him as the next head of the World Bank, but the singer again dismissed the idea at a post-gala press conference.

"Don't quit your day job yet my friend, you're pretty good at it," Springsteen joked of the speculation about Bono, whom he called a "plain operator" and a "crazy Irishman."

Bono, who inducted Springsteen in 1999, said as Monday night became Tuesday morning, "This is a bit of an Irish wedding ... beautiful girls and beautiful frocks and fights in the bathroom."

SALES-OBSESSED

He then urged music executives to rethink how they do business, saying in the current sales-obsessed climate U2 would have been dumped during a slump after their second record, "October," which included overtly religious songs.

"There would be no U2 the way things are now, that's a fact," he said. Stars such as Springsteen and Neil Young, who also failed to have early hits, also would have failed to make the grade with today's music companies, he said.

Founded in Dublin in 1978, U2 penned political songs such as "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and uplifting rockers like "Where the Streets Have No Name." They are now touring North America to promote their latest chart-topping album.

As the band played, Bono sang at first amid the tables, taking champagne from one table and dousing his band mates. Renditions of "Pride," about civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and their recent hit "Vertigo" brought the crowd to their feet.

The Dublin quartet - Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer and heartthrob Larry Mullin Jr. -- broke through with 1987's "The Joshua Tree" and became one of the world's most successful rock acts, with recordings and elaborately-staged tours which sought to always explore new ground.

"I'm just not sure I'm ready to accept institutionalization," Mullin said after the ceremony. "If I'm to be really honest I would have liked this 10 years down the line."

Last edited:
I think he is trying to hide one until it grows out.I just wish he would take the gel out and let it be soft instead of greasy.How can I run my fingers through that? The blond hair he had the last 20 years was nice also.I do not like the darker color as much.

I know I said this earlier (sorta), but I just wanted to reiterate.

Tonight meant a LOT to me. To see living legends inducted was one thing, but to think these legends are every bit as relevant as they've ever been...

Wow. That thought continues to blow me away.

Anyway, thanks to all who popped in, for the purpose of sharing the event. U2 fans are the best, and I'm proud to count myself as a member of this community.

HUGE applause to you all...thanks.

Dawn

well, here's more on the continuing boyfriend saga...

matt and dan got into springsteens after-party too. to redeem himself for the whole evening's events he put morleigh on the phone w/me. she remembered me/us from after the brooklyn gig, and was very sweet and said she'd see me in LA! :dance:
then, after hearing bono tell dan and matt how glad he was they made it in/crashed the party and talking to them for a few minutes, upon matt asking if he remembers the bellydancer from DC/LA, he said "of course i do," and took matt's cell, and in his sexiest (bad) american impression said to me "honeeeeeey, i told you not to call me at the office!" :heart: :lmao: :D :heart:

now, i'm not getting any sleep at all before work this week apparently....and waiting to hear the whole story, cuz matt's cell died on the way home:(

to one and all a good night....if you can sleep!

melissa

mmmmmm bono.......so sexy! i'm never gonna get any zzzz's now!!

Last edited:
popbellydancer said:

matt and dan got into springsteens after-party too. to redeem himself for the whole evening's events he put morleigh on the phone w/me. she remembered me/us from after the brooklyn gig, and was very sweet and said she'd see me in LA! :dance:
then, after hearing bono tell dan and matt how glad he was they made it in/crashed the party and talking to them for a few minutes, upon matt asking if he remembers the bellydancer from DC/LA, he said "of course i do," and took matt's cell, and in his sexiest (bad) american impression said to me "honeeeeeey, i told you not to call me at the office!" :heart: :lmao: :D :heart:

now, i'm not getting any sleep at all before work this week apparently....and waiting to hear the whole story, cuz matt's cell died on the way home:(

melissa

:ohmy: Wow, rock on :dance:

popbellydancer said:

melissa

wtf :ohmy:

oh my god thats amazing
i'm very happy for and very jealous of you right now!!

popbellydancer said:

then, after hearing bono tell dan and matt how glad he was they made it in/crashed the party and talking to them for a few minutes, upon matt asking if he remembers the bellydancer from DC/LA, he said "of course i do," and took matt's cell, and in his sexiest (bad) american impression said to me "honee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom