Random Music Thread XXXIII: Laz Goes Tubing, Gets Run Over By Tugboat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude, you used the word perfect.

I don't know what that means where you come from, but everyone else I know takes it to mean perfect.

Boner's voice giving out alone prevents it from achieving that, even if he still gets an A for Effort.

Also, wasn't there some kind of flub at the beginning of Where The Cocks Have No Game? Like Hedge's guitar started over or didn't match the backing track at first?

The word I used was flawless, and admittedly I came in after Streets on the live feed (I've now seen the whole show), I guess you could say it was based on circumstance. They're flying in from having just played a stadium show in Baltimore, adjusting to the time and certainly to the crowd, and it's 2011 I don't expect 1987 vocals, and they got the crowd loving every (non MOS) moment. For U2 playing at Glastonbury in 2011, I thought they did an impeccable job, even if I thought the song choice could have been stronger.

Are we seriously nitpicking word choice at the moment? I clarified my statement, we'll leave it at that.

Sorry, but when it comes to grammar and word usage, people rarely care as much as I do.

images-1-1.jpg

iron yuppie said:
Do I know what rhetorical means?!?!

Cobbler at least should get that reference.

Had to look it up sadly. But it did lead me to: To Kill a Mockingbird gave me no information whatsoever on how to kill mockingbirds!

Oh now, there's that damn hipster frog again.

And actually, I do know where you're coming from, but I stretched the meaning of a word in regards to circumstance, no performance could ever be perfect. (even if that wasn't the word in question). But yeah, typically I'm a member of the grammar police. I get very angry whenever I hear someone utter the words "very unique".

"Per se" is my ultimate grammatical pet peeve. It is never used correctly. I also once had an academic "supervisor" spell it "per say."

Larry skipped a beat in EBTTRT and had them all fucked up for about four measures. They also had to mute the backing track until they got it back online, after the first chorus.

Edge started playing Streets too early. He started when the organ started, he's supposed to let it play a little bit.

I just came across a grammatically ambiguous sign at a country footy club:

736ab21f.jpg

iron yuppie said:
"Per se" is my ultimate grammatical pet peeve. It is never used correctly. I also once had an academic "supervisor" spell it "per say."

How's it meant to be used? "For if"? That's what it translates as in Italian. Is using it as "for instance" not correct?

If they're going for an Achtung/Zoo TV theme the rest of the way, is it too much to ask that they close with Love Is Blindness? Never going to happen, but that's the one song that I've never heard them play live that I would do anything to hear just once.

I think that sign is implying that the toilets have the option of a partial flush for when you only need to pee (saves water). But they dont want you to use that option because there isnt enough water pressure and the pipes get backed up

I still think The Electric Cock from the Squirtigo is the most badass old song they've done in ages.

Such an amazing solo.

I absolutely loved seeing them trot out An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart as well, that was the most surprising.

How's it meant to be used? "For if"? That's what it translates as in Italian. Is using it as "for instance" not correct?

It's Latin; it translates as "through itself." It means "in and of itself" or "inherently," but people always use it to mean "actually," as in "I wasn't at Glastonbury per se, but I watched it online." A proper usage would be something like, "Crazy Tonight isn't a terrible song per se; it's just mixed poorly," or something like that. It really has a very narrow usage.

Back
Top Bottom