Random Music Talk XCII: Shadow Recruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're welcome.

I originally had a joke in the post about me being so much shorter than you instead, but that somehow came out sounding even worse.

And we'll always have the moment when I tried to give you a wad of money for the douchebag ticket in front of a huge crowd of people. "HI, LOOK AT ALL THIS MONEY I'M GIVING YOU."

Lol, yes, that too.

And of course, the death march.

Oh my god, the death march. I'm still amazed we found joyfulgirl in all of that.

Talking about 360 still kind of stings though, my car broke down the weekend of Moncton. :sad:

Oh, that's right! I remember you talking about that. :(

I still tell the tale of Moncton in a tone of amazement, because I can't believe I put myself through all of that. At least the show was great. Definitely one of the craziest things I've ever done. Definitely the craziest U2-related thing I've ever done.

Yeah, I think we were planning on meeting up, still mad at myself for spending the money to fix the car rather than finding some other way to hitch up there.

I only briefly got to meet Jive Turkey and BoMac in the GA line, as well as another friend who was way up at the front. Making the call to stop the night before in Frederickton was the right call, though, even though it meant just quick "hellos" rather than actual hanging out.

I only briefly got to meet Jive Turkey and BoMac in the GA line, as well as another friend who was way up at the front. Making the call to stop the night before in Frederickton was the right call, though, even though it meant just quick "hellos" rather than actual hanging out.

I've had 2 opportunities to meet JT out here and both fell through, unfortunately.

Speaking of that turkey where the hell is JT anyways? Hibernating?

He's alive and well and watching the UFC PPV as we type.

In various drives in that area of Canada I have avoided Moncton since, mostly because I was interested in going other places, but probably part of it is me subconsciously still being upset about it :lol:. C'est ma vie.

Speaking of JT, he hasn't been around lately huh?

Well apparently that was already neatly covered before finishing that message haha.

All right, I should get off the computer, since I'll probably be on the damned thing all day tomorrow.

Goodnight, all.

I sadly have to be social with real people instead of blue crackers for the most part tomorrow. Luckily I'll be with my two best friends who like U2 and tolerate my obsession so they know the topic of conversation in advance.

Can you download a song to your iPhone if you're not on wi-fi? Or is that too big a file to do through your regular carrier connection?

I'm not going to be at home at all on Sunday, staying in a cabin in Big Bear.

Probably not a big deal if I can't as the song will likely hit YouTube soon after the ad airs.

If I remember correctly the limit used to be 50MB, now it's 100MB, at iTunes encoding you're golden to download it over cellular.

I fixed this for you.

That was, of course, the highlight of all my U2 concerts.

(If I remember correctly, we even discussed the topic of what songs we hope but probably never will hear live.)

I will say I thought Wire was the song from that album that was the best live song from it on that tour.

Apparently, during pre-tour rehearsals in early 2009, they even considered reviving Wire for 360. Wish they'd gone through with that.

nsw-2.jpg

I am never sorry to see this.

They did Gone on the ATYCLB tour (whatever the hell that was called) in Anaheim. It made me happy. When they did One Tree Hill on the stadium leg of JT, it annoyed me, because Bono had just gotten done saying they'd never do that song live. I dug it, though.

The list of songs they supposedly rehearsed but never played the last couple tours is pretty fucking depressing.

Though we dodged a bullet in light of If God Will Send His Angels being rehearsed one day in Barcelona in June 2009.

It was rehearsed the same day as they did numerous run-throughs of a segue from SYCMIOYO into Bad. I don't know if everyone finds SYCMIOYO as dull and plodding as I do, but god, what an underwhelming and shitty lead-in to Bad that would've been.

All I Want Is You -> Bad -> The First Time -> Streets needs to happen this tour.

I don't know why those first three aren't used together more often, it's all the same two chords.

Last edited:
Agreed on the arrangement of TUF but it was one of those deals where in the end, the joy of hearing it again severely outweighed all other considerations. Hello, Zooropa was missing verses but, again, I was blissful over hearing it at all.

The 360 setlists were really cool in some ways.

If someone had told me 5 years ago that I would go to a gig where they played EBTTRT, Out of Control, Miss Sarajevo, Stay, Zooropa, Scarlet, HMTMKMKM and One Tree Hill all on the same night, I wouldn't have believed them.

Just getting 5 tracks from Achtung Baby was itself quite awesome.

Last edited:
I've had 2 opportunities to meet JT out here and both fell through, unfortunately.

He's alive and well and watching the UFC PPV as we type.

So I wasn't the only one who noted his disappearance. I was about to wager a bet as to who was more likely to un-retire: JT & here or GSP & mma.

Though we dodged a bullet in light of If God Will Send His Angels being rehearsed one day in Barcelona in June 2009.

It was rehearsed the same day as they did numerous run-throughs of a segue from SYCMIOYO into Bad. I don't know if everyone finds SYCMIOYO as dull and plodding as I do, but god, what an underwhelming and shitty lead-in to Bad that would've been.

I'd rather hear If God... than an unnecessarily resurrected Miss Sarajevo, which has definitely worn out its welcome.

But agreed on Sometimes... as it's my least favorite song on HTDAAB, don't care if it's the most personal writing on there. That falsetto chorus usually makes me cringe.

I'm happy I've heard The Electric Co., Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station, The Fly, The Unforgettable Fire and Ultra Violet.

I'd love to hear Acrobat, but supposedly they're not playing that live that often, so shucks.

I was disappointed that they dropped TUF and UV by the time I saw them, but they were essentially replaced by Zooropa and HMTMKMKM so I can't complain too much.

TEC wasn't played when I saw them on the first leg of Vertigo...we got Gloria instead :up: :up:

I'd rather hear If God... than an unnecessarily resurrected Miss Sarajevo, which has definitely worn out its welcome.

But agreed on Sometimes... as it's my least favorite song on HTDAAB, don't care if it's the most personal writing on there. That falsetto chorus usually makes me cringe.

Much as I think Miss Sarajevo is a better song than IGWSHA (albeit still not a notable song compared to most of Passengers), I agree with you there. Bringing Miss Sarajevo back on 360 was a waste of time. It feels more like an arena song to me anyway. Big stadiums needed much bigger songs - something with the punch of HMTMKMKM. I can't believe they never seemed to realise more songs like HMTMKMKM would be a good idea in the set.

That sparse arrangement of Miss Sarajevo was crappy from the beginning. I love If God Will Send His Angels, so I wouldn't mind that at all. However, the biggest WTF was hearing Your Blue Room being soundchecked in my own hometown. This was the first time they did it - not a single rumour was out there at the time. It's kinda sad that that is basically the fondest memory I have of that whole tour.

I can't believe they never seemed to realise more songs like HMTMKMKM would be a good idea in the set.

-Throw Elevation in the garbage and rotate Gone/LNOE
-Throw GOYB in the garbage and rotate NLOTH/Breathe
-Rotate HMTMKMKM and Discotheque
-Save a spot for a Boy/October rocker

There, now you've got an upbeat compromise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom